1 hour ago, StingRay said:

I switch mine off as I switch the LPS off

Excuse me if I don’t understand correctly but I’m not from England. Do you do that by using the >= button then or by switching off the LPS altogether?

1 hour ago, StingRay said:

Yes tv toslink will automatically come on but I found that to be a nuisance.

Can you disable that?

7 minutes ago, Ceko said:

Excuse me if I don’t understand correctly but I’m not from England. Do you do that by using the >= button then or by switching off the LPS altogether?

Can you disable that?

I used to use the  >= button before I had a LPS, now its easier just to switch the LPS off. I had it plugged into an extention which stays on all the time so could not switch it off at the wall socket.

No, I don't think you can disable the tv toslink, you would need to unplug the cable. I just plug the TV into my DAC now.

Edited by StingRay
  • Like 1

Isn’t that harmful then?

For example I learned that I should never just power off a Raspberry Pi. This is a different device of course but still... it must have some sort of memory management that could screw up right?

Super Wammer
6 hours ago, Ceko said:

Can anyone tell me.. I don't see a power button on the Node 2i device. I have it installed on a powerstrip with a power switch. Is it a problem to switch the whole thing off via the power switch on the powerstrip?

And say that I have a toslink from television connected to the Node 2i, will it automatically switch to that input if it receives a signal?

Why would you want to do that? It consumes tiny amounts of power and needs to reconnect to your wifi every time you start it up.

That’s not the question @TheFlash, I have a powerstrip with which I turn everything off including a little lamp etc.

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Ceko said:

That’s not the question @TheFlash, I have a powerstrip with which I turn everything off including a little lamp etc.

Rarely has a question been posed on the Wam and directly answered.

In answer to your question: no.

Ok so if it’s not a problem then why do you even ask why I should do it?

Super Wammer
21 hours ago, Ceko said:

Ok so if it’s not a problem then why do you even ask why I should do it?

Because there might be alternatives. It's a forum. If people ask a question, sometimes other people don't answer the question, they ask why the question is being asked as they might be able to provide a better solution.

If you don't find the answer helpful, ignore it.

Edited by TheFlash
  • Like 1

Great thread, especially for me as I'll shortly be sacking my Sonos set up and getting a new streamer, and the Node 2i is high up the list. I've read a lot of the 100+ page thread on pimping, this thread is a lot more helpful and with some other research Ithink im convinced of the linear power supply benefits too so will likely add that later.

As well as its benefits as a streamer for the main hifi (& its upgrade potential) the Node 2i has an additional advantage for me in that the Sonos it will replace provides a multi room set up to our kitchen where we often listen, wash up, dance, etc, and the Node 2i  is one of few streamers that could replicate this.  (At the moment I dont want to leap into Roon because of hardware and membership costs).  However unless you use the Bluesound speakers (£300 each for entry level Pulse flex, £500 for midmarket Pulse mini, & I might want 2 for stereo) you need an additional Node 2i (& amp, or active speakers) for each additional room.  So conscious this is the Bluesound thread ( not just the Node 2i thread) can anyone comment on the quality or otherwise of the Bluesound speakers?  The alternative cost of not using them would be 2nd node 2i and 2nd amp as well as other speakers which is not going to come cheap but there doesnt seem to be much out there on whether the matching Bluesound speakers are actually any good.  Our kitchen is about 4.5m x 4m, quarry floor and hard surfaces.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Welcome on board. Unfortunately, as you’ll have guessed, the Node dominates as the Bluesound device of choice for wammers, but hopefully someone will be along shortly!

Can anyone tell me if there’s a difference in sound quality between hooking this node 2i up to a DAC via Coax or toslink?

Super Wammer
9 hours ago, Ceko said:

Can anyone tell me if there’s a difference in sound quality between hooking this node 2i up to a DAC via Coax or toslink?

You’ll be after actual experiences... which I’d be interested in too. The general view is that, despite the theoretical advantages of toslink optical connections (being unaffected by RFI), in practice it does not sound as good as SPDIF (coax). This may or may not be due to the need for/quality of the additional converter from light to electrickery, but that’s the consensus.

Like you, I’d be interested in actual experiences with the Node.

• Like 1

Super Dealer
1 hour ago, TheFlash said:

You’ll be after actual experiences... which I’d be interested in too. The general view is that, despite the theoretical advantages of toslink optical connections (being unaffected by RFI), in practice it does not sound as good as SPDIF (coax). This may or may not be due to the need for/quality of the additional converter from light to electrickery, but that’s the consensus.

Like you, I’d be interested in actual experiences with the Node.

Just to amplify this, one only gets the benefit of toslink optical RFI isolation if there is no ground plane route through the mains power supplies for the noise to circumnavigate the optical isolation, ie by using battery power supply. Once you plug the device(s) into the mains, all bets are off for optical RFI isolation.

• Like 1

I purchased a Node 2i today and I think that it is faulty. 

It really has no right to sound as good as it does out of the box. What a bargain.

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Ceko said:

I have used both, I could not really tell the difference between Mark Grant coax and glass fibre toslink. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1