Super Wammer
1 hour ago, HouseElf said:

I purchased a Node 2i today and I think that it is faulty. 

It really has no right to sound as good as it does out of the box. What a bargain.

Classic! what took you so long? :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheFlash said:

Classic! what took you so long? :)

Over researching (and thinking) streamers at this price range. I almost bought the Volumio Primo but was frustrated with the fact you have to pay a monthly subscription to use all the features plus I had issues with the Volumio software when I had a Project streamer.

Even the app has surprised me. Not the very best I have used but certainly good enough. 

• Like 3

I've been thinking about getting a Bluesound node but having read this thread I am not sure it would be right for me so asking for opinions.

I have a modded Jolida DAC and I'm using a Raspberry Pi and occasionally a chromecast for multi-room use. The Pi requires a little maintenance from time to time. I'm using MoOde and I'm not dying about the UI.  Occasionally I can't get it to open/work without first opening Spotify and streaming to MoOde player only to disconnect because I am trying to stream from my NAS. 

I am wondering if I bought the Node I would I really see any improvement in sound quality and if not is there an alternative device that would be better than the chromecast (which I would be happy to continue using for multi-room) and more dependable with a better interface than the Pi. For the Node would I be spending money on the sound quality unnecessarily when I have already invested in the DAC? Or would a better input to the DAC improve what it is doing?

14 minutes ago, Ruairi said:

I've been thinking about getting a Bluesound node but having read this thread I am not sure it would be right for me so asking for opinions.

I have a modded Jolida DAC and I'm using a Raspberry Pi and occasionally a chromecast for multi-room use. The Pi requires a little maintenance from time to time. I'm using MoOde and I'm not dying about the UI.  Occasionally I can't get it to open/work without first opening Spotify and streaming to MoOde player only to disconnect because I am trying to stream from my NAS. 

I am wondering if I bought the Node I would I really see any improvement in sound quality and if not is there an alternative device that would be better than the chromecast (which I would be happy to continue using for multi-room) and more dependable with a better interface than the Pi. For the Node would I be spending money on the sound quality unnecessarily when I have already invested in the DAC? Or would a better input to the DAC improve what it is doing?

I have a Node 2 which I have modified to DC LPSU. I don't know about the Pi, probably not much difference in quality. I went with the Node because it was not much more than the Pi and it seemed a lot easier to use, just plug and play. Not had any problem the interface, it works well using Qobuz, Tidal and Deezer, not used Spotify on it but I expect it to be the same as Deezer. Only issue I had was with Amazon HD, that interface was not very user friendly. Most users find the BluOs interface good and easy to use. I have a Jolida DAC as well, it is better than the Node DAC. Other alternatives, I don't think there are many that are better than the Node 2i for under £500. The Node 2i is now £400 new. There is Auralic Aries Mini which is around £450, no experience of that though.

Edited by StingRay

On 10/10/2020 at 19:33, Valley Dweller said:

Great thread, especially for me as I'll shortly be sacking my Sonos set up and getting a new streamer, and the Node 2i is high up the list. I've read a lot of the 100+ page thread on pimping, this thread is a lot more helpful and with some other research Ithink im convinced of the linear power supply benefits too so will likely add that later.

So conscious this is the Bluesound thread ( not just the Node 2i thread) can anyone comment on the quality or otherwise of the Bluesound speakers?  The alternative cost of not using them would be 2nd node 2i and 2nd amp as well as other speakers which is not going to come cheap but there doesnt seem to be much out there on whether the matching Bluesound speakers are actually any good.  Our kitchen is about 4.5m x 4m, quarry floor and hard surfaces.

Thanks in advance.

I used sonos for years (2008 - 2018) to achieve multiroom audio + decent(ish) source for my main system (Sonos connect + naim dac v1). I then purchased Roon and started looking for a more matching system: Allo Digi one, Node 2i as well as a few bluesound speakers (Flex 2i and Pulse 2i). I even got the soundbar 2i which I am using with my TV. I do not like the BlueOS app but instead I use Spotify (via Airplay 2) and Roon. Both approaches achieve multiroom and Roon is of course superior in sound quality. Airplay 2 is even more convenient for non critical listening. The Bluesound speakers are sensitive to WiFi. In my experience the Sonos speakers are more stable over WiFi, especially if you add quite a few aroudn the house. My problem with Sonos (One Gen 2, Play 5 etc.) is that I find the sound to be harsh and fatiguing, especially midrange and treble. The bluesound Flex 2i and Soundbar 2i are much smoother sounding albeit a bit less dynamic compared to the sonos. If I did not find the sonos sound to be harsh and fatiguing then I may have kept that system. I just could not get along with the sound at all no matter what EQ settings or trueplay tuning I tried. The older Sonos speakers were much much better and I was quite happy with them for years (Play 3, playbar and Play 5 gen1). I am very puzzled how so many people report that they like the sound quality of the recent sonos speakers... I just find it so tiring, especially when turned at 50% volume and above. Maybe my ears are wonky :-P

When using Roon with Bluesound then you get much much better sound overall and you also have the DSP to tailor sound exactly as you like.

The other thing to consider is the cost. If you need to deploy multiple speakers across a house then bluesound quickly becomes expensive. A Sonos One G2 can be found for £180 new while the equivallent Bluesound Flex 2i is £260 at best. It sounds like you have decided to leave sonos but in case you are open to reconsidering, I would think about it again (mainly due to cost, app UX)

Just my perspective / experience anyway.