1 hour ago, ClassikFan said:

Loving being able to listen to whatever takes my fancy using the Node and Tidal but I've hit a snag. My iPhone is full up with music. What's the best way to manage streaming? Do I need to actually download the albums I like? Should I just save them as favourites? If I download loads of albums using Tidal on my PC how will that stack up in accessing them via the iphone and Tidal Connect to the Node? Any thoughts, please?

If you mean using Tidal? Yes save the albums you like and download albums when you are out and about from your home.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I finally bought a Node 2i at the beginning of the month after prevaricating for so long that I missed out on the £399 deal. I managed to get hold of a new unit for £450 so it wasn't too bad. Set up w

I’m still in the early phases of getting to know it. I’d say the app isn’t perfect but it’s not far off. All it needs is a bit more speed, Tidal My Mixes, and decent, full BBC Sounds integration.  Apa

I think it’s very good but of course people’s expectations and assessment of usability vary. I’ve experienced a number of Apps and playback software over the years and certainly rate the App (and

Posted Images

On 20/02/2021 at 14:39, ClassikFan said:

Loving being able to listen to whatever takes my fancy using the Node and Tidal but I've hit a snag. My iPhone is full up with music. What's the best way to manage streaming? Do I need to actually download the albums I like? Should I just save them as favourites? If I download loads of albums using Tidal on my PC how will that stack up in accessing them via the iphone and Tidal Connect to the Node? Any thoughts, please?

For normal listening, there is no need to download them; the point of streaming is to have that huge library of music at your disposal, to be streamed on demand = as and when you fancy. Downloading is only for on the move.

Have you been using your Node to listen to albums downloaded onto your phone? That's probably not giving you the best sound quality if so, depending on how the music gets from your phone to the Node.

Edited by TheFlash
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

For normal listening, there is no need to download them; the point of streaming is to have that huge library of music at your disposal, to be streamed on demand = as and when you fancy. Downloading is only for on the move.

Have you been using your Node to listen to albums downloaded onto your phone? That's probably not giving you the best sound quality if so, depending on how the music gets from your phone to the Node.

Right, I get it now, keep a library of favourites for easy access at home and then downloads are for times when there is no internet/wifi signal?

• Like 1

That's what I do, just favourite in Tidal app anything that you like. 

If you're out the house with no signal or traveling you could download in advance. Similar to iPlayer or other video apps.

The phone just acts as a remote control when your using the Node in your house. I take it you have Tidal and BluOS apps? Doesn't seem to matter which one you use, although I find the Tidal one gives me more info and choices with recommendations etc.

• Like 1

I don’t download any music from Tidal or Qobuz, I just play want I want but I only play it at home. Downloads are if going for a walk or when you don’t have Internet?

I have been here over 6 years, only had a few internet issues, no days without it. So loss of internet is very rare in my experience, same at my last house. 

I don’t use favourites or playlists, I play so many different albums it does not suit me.

Edited by StingRay
  • Like 1
40 minutes ago, ClassikFan said:

Right, I get it now, keep a library of favourites for easy access at home and then downloads are for times when there is no internet/wifi signal?

The critical point here is that if you are using BluOS on your phone/table (presume you are) then you want your phone to be merely a controller and NOT in the playback chain. Your Node is then directly connected to your router - either CAT cabled or wifi - and all is good.

If you play from downloaded files on your device, how are they getting to the Node? If it's by Bluetooth then you have simply not been hearing what the Node can do. The easiest way to work out how downloaded music is getting to your Node is to start an album playing and then switch your phone off completely. If the music keeps playing, you're good; you're using the device as a controller of a "connect" service, not as a device in the playback chain. If the music stops when your phone goes off - which is likely if the downloads are on your phone - then you have not been hearing the Node or Tidal at their best.

Let us know!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, TheFlash said:

The critical point here is that if you are using BluOS on your phone/table (presume you are) then you want your phone to be merely a controller and NOT in the playback chain. Your Node is then directly connected to your router - either CAT cabled or wifi - and all is good.

If you play from downloaded files on your device, how are they getting to the Node? If it's by Bluetooth then you have simply not been hearing what the Node can do. The easiest way to work out how downloaded music is getting to your Node is to start an album playing and then switch your phone off completely. If the music keeps playing, you're good; you're using the device as a controller of a "connect" service, not as a device in the playback chain. If the music stops when your phone goes off - which is likely if the downloads are on your phone - then you have not been hearing the Node or Tidal at their best.

Let us know!

I have been using Tidal Connect, the music stops if I turn the phone off and I have volume control on the phone even with music that hasn't been downloaded. Help!

15 hours ago, ClassikFan said:

I have been using Tidal Connect, the music stops if I turn the phone off and I have volume control on the phone even with music that hasn't been downloaded. Help!

Complete the diagnosis first...

• if you leave your phone on but switch the Bluetooth off, does the music stop?
  • Repeat with wifi on/off just for the heck of it. That will help work out how your configured.
    • Note your wifi network name but don't post it here

Setup: when you first got the Node, did you follow the instructions on how to set it up? Using the BluOS app and following the in-app instructions? This involves initially connecting your device (phone) to the wifi network generated by the Node itself, then resetting to your home wifi network.

PM me with results to save cluttering the thread and when we've got you sorted, we can summarise back here. I'm on the day job so bear with me.

PS. That setup might sound complex but if you follow the in-app instructions it’s quick and easy.

Edited by TheFlash
  • 2 months later...

Something new on the way...10th May apparently...

EB7BB05B-334F-4F94-9BA5-1AEDCEC4983D.thumb.png.81fdadf697a3bf7c063e4fa5ded8bb14.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
29 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

I suspected that might be the case when they knocked £100 off the Node 2i. I'm certainly delighted with what £400 brought me.

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

I suspected that might be the case when they knocked £100 off the Node 2i. I'm certainly delighted with what £400 brought me.

I’m sure, and it seems to be one of the most loved components of recent years, with no strident dissenters!  I wondered if they’ll make a component sized version, because the present design might not suit everyone.  

I hope its the same size for me, but curious as to what is going to change.. 

Any guesses? 

17 hours ago, Nopiano said:

EB7BB05B-334F-4F94-9BA5-1AEDCEC4983D.thumb.png.81fdadf697a3bf7c063e4fa5ded8bb14.png

This badly auto-translated piece suggests 10th May announcement 

4F5BA7A5-3E78-4599-B7ED-801E8F8102F7.thumb.png.d86a0615b299ff9ce9c9719958ce97a3.png