Edited by robbyrtp
BERK
  • Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I finally bought a Node 2i at the beginning of the month after prevaricating for so long that I missed out on the £399 deal. I managed to get hold of a new unit for £450 so it wasn't too bad. Set up w

I’m still in the early phases of getting to know it. I’d say the app isn’t perfect but it’s not far off. All it needs is a bit more speed, Tidal My Mixes, and decent, full BBC Sounds integration.  Apa

I think it’s very good but of course people’s expectations and assessment of usability vary. I’ve experienced a number of Apps and playback software over the years and certainly rate the App (and

Posted Images

HDMI connection new I think though not of hifi interest.

Much more open and specific about the internal DAC which suggests who would benefit most from the 2021 flavour ie not those of us who use purely as a streamer into external DAC. I could be wrong!

Posted (edited)

I don’t think I’ll be rushing to replace my Node 2 or Powernode 2i

https://www.bluesound.com/products/node/

Edited by Beyond you

Ah, you did all see it!

https://www.whathifi.com/news/new-bluesound-node-and-powernode-are-fittingly-well-furnished-streamers

So, the processor changes from the Arm A9 to an A53.  Now running four cores but I have no idea what the A9 was running as it can be anything from one to four.  The DAC changes somehow but nobody knows how.  

There seems to be a lot more buttons on the top which is excellent as you can program in presets/radio stations and operate it without picking up an iPad for casual listening.

Hopefully there’s a bump in sound quality as the stock unmodified unit was average.  I also wonder if they quietly do something to the power supply.

• Like 1

It’s five external presets. I’ve been told (looking for a confirmation) that the A9 was only running in single core mode so this is potentially a move from 1 GHz single to 1.8 GHz quad though the implementation is important. 

The volume is a touch slider. Terrible for those of us with cats. 

There seems to be less ventilation on the top panel.

5 hours ago, HectorHughMunro said:

It’s five external presets. I’ve been told (looking for a confirmation) that the A9 was only running in single core mode so this is potentially a move from 1 GHz single to 1.8 GHz quad though the implementation is important. 

The volume is a touch slider. Terrible for those of us with cats. 

There seems to be less ventilation on the top panel.

How does this affect sound quality? Not a trick question!

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, TheFlash said:

How does this affect sound quality? Not a trick question!

Oh, it might very well not. It does offer more opportunities for development and functionality though.  Hopefully stability and a bit of extra speed. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is the first review that I’ve seen; Node 2021

He has both the 2021 and the 2i side by side.

The DACs charge from Burr Brown to TI but nothing really special. 

looking at the power supply, it’s much smaller. I’d guessed as much since there isn’t as much ventilation.

38B04E19-C4DB-4446-A212-81FD21A6F369.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for the link - not much of an upgrade for those of us who have a standard let alone a pimped 2i then !

I had hoped in some ways for some sort of audiophile upgrade but as I said before, my wallet remains safe thankfully !

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the link. have ordered one from Bluesound UK who offer a 30 day return as I did not get on at all with the original Node. Going to run it in parallel with my TEAC as can try the Hi RES MQA Radio Paradise stream vs the Airplay ALAC currently in use, which is excellent apart from slightly bloated bass. Also can try Amazon HD vs Qobuz

Edited by nomore landings
2 hours ago, nomore landings said:

Thanks for the link. have ordered one from Bluesound UK who offer a 30 day return as I did not get on at all with the original Node. Going to run it in parallel with my TEAC as can try the Hi RES MQA Radio Paradise stream vs the Airplay ALAC currently in use, which is excellent apart from slightly bloated bass. Also can try Amazon HD vs Qobuz

That’s probably the best way to go. Return it if you don’t like it and give someone else  a go from whatever outlet they must have.  I thought the interesting thing was that the PSU was clearly removable so there is probably an opportunity for modding later. 

2 hours ago, nomore landings said:

Good plan, though if you want the best sound quality from the Node or any other streamer, avoid Airplay. That streams from your device.

Radio Paradise is available as standard in BluOS and if you set it running and turn your phone/tablet off it will continue to do so. Use your device as a remote control, not as a source.

• Like 1