How can I child proof my Linn hifi & LP12?

I had a local cabinet maker make me a locking cupboard with shelves for the electronics and the albums. The LP12 went on a Target wall shelve at a height that my daughter would not be able to get to till she'd reached an age at which she'd listen either to reason or to threats. The Kans went onto wall brackets.

You can't use a shelf, so you'll need to put your Sondek on a high cabinet.

Lend it to me, I'll look after it really well and make sure it gets some exercise. You can get it back once your son is of an age where he can be trusted, about 30 years time? :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stad said:

Thanks. The problem is I think my son is too young to fully understand but old enough to cause mischief 😔 I have told him there’s a fierce dragon under the M6100!

Not too young. When my daughters were crawling and headed for the hifi I would pick them up and say no and point them in a different direction (just to be clear I have never hit my kids, not that I am morally opposed to smacking, just don't think it is necessary). When they were learning to walk, one time the older twin was wobbling near the speaker put her hand out towards it, then realised what she was nearly touching, pulled her hand back and promptly fell over! Don't worry the room had carpet. Anyway, probably my only successful parenting control, but they are never too young to learn.

• Upvote 1

On 10/04/2020 at 15:35, Fazioli said:

Gaffer tape? :D

On the LP12 or the child? :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My own daughter never touched the LP12 even though it was on a low stand as she was told not to.  She did like to turn up the volume.  I got her a broken receiver so she could play with the knobs but that didn't satisfy her as it wouldn't get louder.  It was my step daughter in her early teens that tried to use the LP12 without asking and killed my Karma.  Yes, I had bad Karma.  But I was forced to replace it with a Troika, so maybe not so bad.  She did feel horrible about it, but I didn't spank either.  My main method of control was a deep voice.  The same step daughter several years earlier was asked in class as part of an exercise what she didn't like that her parents did (I imagine they were checking for abuse).  She answered that she didn't like it when I used "Big Voice".  The teacher said, "You mean he yells at you?"  She answered: "No, Tom never yells, he just use Big Voice.":)

• Upvote 1

How big is the gap between the plasterboard and the actually wall? As a general builder (rtd), when I built my present room extention I made sure the gap was a small as possible about 8/10mm roughly so I can fix my Quadraspire directly no problem. But if it is much more which it proably is then a backing board is your best bet and than fix through that still fixing to the wall and not the backing board of course. Yes I could have applied a hardwall finish but I was desperate to get into the room as I had been delayed by a pain in the next planner who was being really awkward and dry wall is a far quicker option. The other way is to actually have it all locked away in a unit. get a cheap one from Ikea and then it won't matter if you fit a padlock and then when he is old enough you can throw it out and get a decent rack. 

• 4 weeks later...

Slightly related, here is how I am cat-proofing my LP12. My cats like to sit on the table next to my equipment rack to look out of the window. Sometimes I'd find my LP12 was no longer sitting square on its shelf implying they'd been jumping on or off of it. Here is my solution, a fairly substantial cover. It is a little unwieldy but if it works out, and I manage not to drop it on the LP12, then it will become my first foray into veneering to make it more presentable.

1805144661_LP12uncovered2.thumb.jpg.0cbbfd65badf62c706719c04283f7cfe.jpg522191709_LP12covered2.thumb.jpg.c01dd9e946e3c268e913a7f0facefb97.jpg

Edited by 13th Duke of Wymbourne
  • Upvote 1

On 11/04/2020 at 12:38, Solanum said:

Not too young. When my daughters were crawling and headed for the hifi I would pick them up and say no and point them in a different direction (just to be clear I have never hit my kids, not that I am morally opposed to smacking, just don't think it is necessary). When they were learning to walk, one time the older twin was wobbling near the speaker put her hand out towards it, then realised what she was nearly touching, pulled her hand back and promptly fell over! Don't worry the room had carpet. Anyway, probably my only successful parenting control, but they are never too young to learn.

I agree with your approach. I have a one-year-old who likes the look of my rack.

A stern 'No, no, no, no, no', accompanied with a wagging finger and a stern look is enough for her to consider retreat. At the moment!

I have a different 'problem' with my seven-year-old, who's fascinated with vinyl. She keeps asking how music 'comes out of it'? Kids, eh xD

1 hour ago, kelly200269 said:

I have a different 'problem' with my seven-year-old, who's fascinated with vinyl. She keeps asking how music 'comes out of it'?

I hope that you gave a straight answer to that straight question? :) 

You have girls, as I did. Boys are different. Nothing will keep my two year old grandson away from anything he's interested in. Fortunately, my Hi-Fi is not a train, and so is currently of no more interest than any other piece of furniture. The toys he and his older sister play with when they visit are at the opposite end of my relatively long and narrow living room to the Hi-Fi. We have to be on our guard during the more energetic games of hide and seek, but otherwise things have been OK so far.

David

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, DavidHB said:

I hope that you gave a straight answer to that straight question? :)

I've 'tried' to explain to her David,  but I'm still hopefully she'll cherish the LP12 long after I'm gone!?

4 hours ago, kelly200269 said:

I've 'tried' to explain to her David,  but I'm still hopefully she'll cherish the LP12 long after I'm gone!?

I remember being about 5 or 6 years old lying in front of one of the speakers imagining a tiny orchestra inside.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, akamatsu said:

I remember being about 5 or 6 years old lying in front of one of the speakers imagining a tiny orchestra inside.

I am so old that the "HiFi" I lay in front of was a radiogram, which only played 78s and only had one speaker ...

David

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I can sympathise with anyone who has a young child or grandchild, especially boys who shows an interest in your hifi!

When our boy was little I fitted a luggage strap around the LP12. This stopped me having nightmares about him copying dad when I’m not in the room 😉

fortunately, I never had a problem with him and the strap didn’t damage the lid at all. 

FE18E5A7-9302-4FF6-99A0-5322D6513B41.jpeg

After several attempts of both kids trying to use my LP12 as a dinky car park, I used to apply a few inches of transparent sellotape between the lid and the plinth. They couldn’t  open the lid, and couldn’t see the tape to understand why!  Very easy to replace after each playing session.

worked for us.....

Edited by pdcman
  • Haha 1