BBC Four programme on "How to make headphones"

Just spotted this programme in the BBC Four schedule for Thursday 16th at 8pm.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000hbdk 

Covers a bit of headphone history, the innovations of today plus an attempt to make a pair.

• Like 4

I was not quite sure what to expect from the programme but it was quite good at giving a little bit of background on the headphone history and I learnt that Amberley Museum in West Sussex has a section dedicated to some early radio and tv equipment, so as it is not to far away I will visit when it reopens.

The section showing a large surface being turned into a speaker was interesting - wonder what it sounds like.

Zoe Laughlin is quite enthusiastic, as well as knowledgeable, and her basic headset was good at showing the principles of how it operates for the less knowledgable viewers.

Overall I thought it was a good programme, obviously not aimed at hifi buffs so I guess it fits into the infotainment category.

Anybody else watch it?

• Upvote 1

I caught the last minute and was disappointed to see her powering then from her mobile phone. Maybe I missed the bit about using dedicated amps for the best sound and the different types like valve or solid state. Or maybe I didn't..

8 hours ago, chrisph said:

I was not quite sure what to expect from the programme but it was quite good at giving a little bit of background on the headphone history and I learnt that Amberley Museum in West Sussex has a section dedicated to some early radio and tv equipment, so as it is not to far away I will visit when it reopens.

The section showing a large surface being turned into a speaker was interesting - wonder what it sounds like.

Zoe Laughlin is quite enthusiastic, as well as knowledgeable, and her basic headset was good at showing the principles of how it operates for the less knowledgable viewers.

Overall I thought it was a good programme, obviously not aimed at hifi buffs so I guess it fits into the infotainment category.

Anybody else watch it?

Entertaining and quite a lot to take away from the program I thought, and I agree with all of your comments. Also, very interested in the cabinet damping comparison - I've been thinking about a green glue / constrained layer damping approach for my next DIY speaker construction.

• Like 1
On 11/04/2020 at 18:54, chrisph said:

Just spotted this programme in the BBC Four schedule for Thursday 16th at 8pm.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000hbdk 

Covers a bit of headphone history, the innovations of today plus an attempt to make a pair.

Cheers, will watch tonight.

Just recalled there was a section in the programme about using beam arrays, in combination with sensors to monitor the position of your ears, to direct the music for you to hear without the use of headphones.  Could envisage that being used at home so folks could listen to their preferred music in the same room without disturbing each other.  Wonder if that will ever come to market at an affordable price.

Here is the link to the Southampton University website that gives an overview of some of their research topics including the one shown on the show.

https://www.southampton.ac.uk/engineering/research/themes/acoustics/virtual_acoustics_and_audio_engineering.page 

I watched this programme, very interesting and enjoyable. This is one I always try and watch as I enjoy the format and think the presenter Zoe is great, so enthusiastic about everything.  

• Like 1
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.