Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Normally I drink ales or bitter but since the lockdown I've been drinking Carling. Hate lager but I'm acclimatizing to the drink.

Are you hamstrung by what you usually drink? 

Edited by plasticpenguin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't drink beer as often as I used to so a few bottles lasts a while. Luckily I topped up when I visited the biggest beer shop in the world (allegedly) just outside Kings Lynn on the way home from a visit to my Mum a few weeks back. Plus my usual tipples seem to always be in stock at my regular supermarket so all good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No I can still get bottles of bitter, such as Bass, Spitfire, Pedigree, London Pride, but I usually go for the £1 stuff now, Aldi Medussa Red is not bad if you like a dark beer. Razorback is fine and so is Bass. Hate the UK fake lagers, some of the foreign such as Czech ones are fine.

Why not buy bitter? If I could not buy that I would switch to cider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

No I can still get bottles of bitter, such as Bass, Spitfire, Pedigree, London Pride, but I usually go for the £1 stuff now, Aldi Medussa Red is not bad if you like a dark beer. Razorback is fine and so is Bass. Hate the UK fake lagers, some of the foreign such as Czech ones are fine.

Why not buy bitter? If I could not buy that I would switch to cider.

Banks is a good one, usually in Tesco at 95p for a 500ml bottle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Carrington said:

Banks is a good one, usually in Tesco at 95p for a 500ml bottle.

Yes Banks is fine, although I'm not keen on the Amber stuff. Of the cheap ones, Bass is my favourite, a good bitter about 4.3%, excellent value if you can get for a £1, often can in Asda. Razorback is also fine. I may have take a trip to Asda to top up as running low. If not worthed about cost then there are loads of beers readily available such as Fullers, Adnams, Batemans, Black Sheep, Doom Bar etc for around £1.50.

Edited by BeeRay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

Normally I drink ales or bitter but since the lockdown I've been drinking Carling. Hate lager but I'm acclimatizing to the drink.

Are you hamstrung by what you usually drink? 

There may be somewhere near you that will deliver on this list, and it’s not just craft beers. I’d go tea total if there was only Carling available.

https://www.craftbeerhour.com/where-to-buy-beer-remotely

Edited by lower bullens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A rather pleasant drop from the Norfolk based Wildcraft Brewery, made with foraged chestnuts and hazlenuts :)

20200412-182536.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lower bullens said:

There may be somewhere near you that will deliver on this list, and it’s not just craft beers. I’d go tea total if there was only Carling available.

https://www.craftbeerhour.com/where-to-buy-beer-remotely

There are other beers available. They are cheap, cold and wet. I might plump for some bottle of London Pride or Spitfire.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

PP. I bought my dad an awesome home delivery craft ale package for fathers day. Huge package with loads of cans. Very reasonable too. 

I'll look through my email stream details and PM you the info for the company.

They were decent too according to Dad and he's an ale lover.

They were recommended by money expert guy on his website (you might be able to google the info)

Edited by Amormusic
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Belgian, German and French brews of around 8% upwards, chimay, delirium, kwak, choufee, adelscott, pelforth, and any wheat beers.

For taste not for getting pssd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hamstrung, yes! It's breaking the bank...

Around 6 years back I started to get into 'craft beer'. After much experimenting I started to get into New England Style Pale Ales (NEIPA). Now I can barely drink any other beer, it just doesn't do it for me any longer.  Not good for my wallet but there you go.

Best breweries in the UK, for my tastes, in my view are: Deya, Verdant, Burnt Mill, Pressure Drop, Arbor and The Kernel. All bar Kernel regularly brew NEIPA. I tend to order a case from the brewery. Deya are well priced for the quality online, others a little more expensive.

Brew does change batch to batch. Two reasons for this: the brewer tweaking recipe and the fact hops are all fresh and unlike more consistent beers old and new hops aren't mixed to achieve consistency. Very hop heavy, dry hopped, soft, fruity, juicy, sometimes funky/dank. Real fresh stuff, shelf life usually three months from brewing.

NEIPA's are creeping into the supermarkets: Brewdog 'Hazy Jane' and 'Brewdog v Cloudwater' collab; Northern Monk 'Faith'; Thornbridge 'Green Mountain'. All are good and cheaper than the favourites above, but they are a little 'dumbed down' for more mass appeal.

These days, the now ubiquitous, 'Gamma Ray' from Beavertown, one of my first favourite hazy beers, is a different beast altogether and for me no longer drinkable. They were half bought out by Heineken and quality has dropped markedly. Ditto 'Lupoloid' that I used to drink a lot of some years back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/04/2020 at 21:10, toms wait said:

Belgian, German and French brews of around 8% upwards, chimay, delirium, kwak, choufee, adelscott, pelforth, and any wheat beers.

For taste not for getting pssd

Really? ( in a very high voice). I get Brahms on a few 4% brews (Clapham Town, Gem). What are you drinking at 8%? aviation fuel? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, plasticpenguin said:

Really? ( in a very high voice). I get Brahms on a few 4% brews (Clapham Town, Gem). What are you drinking at 8%? aviation fuel? 

Yes really.  Only a bottle or max two at a time, these are for enjoying not necking.  Necking would be a good IPA or a light ale at about 3%.

Belgianbeerfactory and google are your friend.

In no particular order but can be found regularly at an off licence near our house

Westmalle Trappistes 9.5%

Kasteel Rouge 8%

Kasteel donker 11%

Grimbergen 10%

Kwak 8.4%

Maredsous Tripel 10%

Trappistes Rochefort 8% and 10%

Maredsous Brune 8%

Not bragging rights but to put this out there to get you guys to try these, in moderation, the headaches are powerful if you don't, I know been there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.