7 minutes ago, Headcoat said:

Apologies I thought I'd deleted that post, I muddled which comment you were replying to. See my other comment re. agreeing with you re. the price ought not jump like that for tins rather than bottles.

New wave (American, New Zealand) go way beyond citrus, but there is some duff - and the odd one or two very good - American style beers in the supermarkets. If you've not tried Deya, Kernel, Verdant, Cloudwater, Burnt Mill then you're possibly missing out, they are though an acquired taste and can be inconsistent due to tweaking and using fresh hop batches only. I'm the opposite in I don't get on with most English hops - the exception being softer Northern brews (used to love Old Peculiar on draught). 

But most of those hops are high alpha acid ones? Most give me gut ache. 

Old peculiar on draught can be great but it’s an old ale not a bitter. Northern beers may taste less bitter as the sparklers on the handpumps, knocks most of the flavour out of taste. We have asked for flat beer in northern pubs and it tastes totally different.

beers in some London pubs taste sweet because the beers often are served within a few days of delivery, so have not frequent out in the cask. 

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Day one of pubs being opened. Mate sent me a pic of a delicious looking beer with the moisture running down sides of glass, taken from a beer garden. Was mighty jealous. Decided to ad-hoc try to

Not at all true. I like the taste of beer, but I don't drink. The quality and taste of many alcohol-free beers is now extremely good. In fact, there are a few that a number of drinking pals actua

There is no more point to alcohol-free beer than there is to decaffeinated coffee. Total waste of time IMO. If you don't want alcohol, don't drink beer. If you don't want caffeine, don't drink coffee.

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, StingRay said:

But most of those hops are high alpha acid ones? Most give me gut ache. 

Old peculiar on draught can be great but it’s an old ale not a bitter. Northern beers may taste less bitter as the sparklers on the handpumps, knocks most of the flavour out of taste. We have asked for flat beer in northern pubs and it tastes totally different.

beers in some London pubs taste sweet because the beers often are served within a few days of delivery, so have not frequent out in the cask. 

All about different tastes. A good New England style (east coast) Pale Ale is much softer than a west coast style American, lots of hops still and yes the same or similar hops, but a lot of the hopping is in the whirlpool rather than the boil (there ends my brewing knowledge!). Far less bitter and astringent. Can also be far more fruity (sometimes citrus). A Saturated in Moteuka I had a few months back had a really strong lime edge to it, was lovely.

Been a while since I was up north but remember enjoying others too. Not really a fan of cask, I like beer cold, and find the toffee/chestnuts/cold tea/heavily malted flavour of cask off putting.

Belgium ales I love though, but then they are kegged and cold,

Sounds like we're opposite ends of the spectrum. Each to their own buddy.

ps you might be right on the sparklers on the tap! Interestingly the American Pale Ales really do work best when kegged (with some carbonation) which opens out the hops, the few I've had on cask I couldn't drink.

25 minutes ago, Headcoat said:

All about different tastes. A good New England style (east coast) Pale Ale is much softer than a west coast style American, lots of hops still and yes the same or similar hops, but a lot of the hopping is in the whirlpool rather than the boil (there ends my brewing knowledge!). Far less bitter and astringent. Can also be far more fruity (sometimes citrus). A Saturated in Moteuka I had a few months back had a really strong lime edge to it, was lovely.

Been a while since I was up north but remember enjoying others too. Not really a fan of cask, I like beer cold, and find the toffee/chestnuts/cold tea/heavily malted flavour of cask off putting.

Belgium ales I love though, but then they are kegged and cold,

Sounds like we're opposite ends of the spectrum. Each to their own buddy.

ps you might be right on the sparklers on the tap! Interestingly the American Pale Ales really do work best when kegged (with some carbonation) which opens out the hops, the few I've had on cask I couldn't drink.

But I don’t like the taste of those hops. Cask is the premium product. Cold beer covers up the flavour, some inferior beers need to served cold. I don’t like keg beer, too cold and gassy. Beer should be served around 13C. There are hundreds of different cask beer.

Old peculiar is only good in cask, bottled it is far too sweet, this is the same for most strong beers and has no other flavour, keg is similar to bottled. Some pubs keep the barley wine type beers in the cellar for a year to mature, it like wine, strong beer needs time to mature, so the flavours develop. I used to brew my own beer,it is surprising how the taste changes. Pasteurisation can affect the flavour as well.

Belgium beers are good but they are all strong, 5% is about the weakest. 

Edited by StingRay
18 minutes ago, StingRay said:

But I don’t like the taste of those hops. Cask is the premium product. Cold beer covers up the flavour, some inferior beers need to served cold. I don’t like keg beer, too cold and gassy. Beer should be served around 13C. There are hundreds of different cask beer.

Old peculiar is only good in cask, bottled it is far too sweet, this is the same for most strong beers and has no other flavour, keg is similar to bottled. Some pubs keep the barley wine type beers in the cellar for a year to mature, it like wine, strong beer needs time to mature, so the flavours develop. I used to brew my own beer,it is surprising how the taste changes. Pasteurisation can affect the flavour as well.

I think it's wrong to say cask is the only premium, things have moved on and are always changing. You yourself say Belgium beer is good and it's just about always served cold off keg, proving at least for Belgium ale that beer is not chilled to cover the flavour. 

Bottled Old Peculiar I agree, it doesn't work for me.

Kegged used to be frowned upon but modern craft brewing has changed that, and many of these new brewers also brew cask. 

It is a new wave; there's superb, ok and awful in this wave. Cask beer is great, just not to my taste, but it isn' the only beer worthy of recognition.

All the beers I drink are unpasteurised (and unflitered), nearly all American style Pale Ales are. Nearly all decent modern craft beer is unpasteurised and unfiltered. 

One downside is price; when it's good it's worth the extra cost, when it's bad it's usually a cash in. 

It's different styles of beer - sone suit keg and some cask. The Germans have been brewing some of the best beer in the world for years - nearly always keg and cold.

30 minutes ago, StingRay said:

ps to add to above, most pubs do not serve decent craft/kegged beer. Nor do supermarkets usually stock it. The margins are not big enough. Hence in most UK pubs cask may have more to offer,

Edited by Headcoat
8 hours ago, StingRay said:

Old peculiar is only good in cask

this is 1 of my favorites, sadly the only place I know which serves it is a little pub on the south side of the harbor in Whitby, it's a cracking pint, 1 of the things I look forward to whenever we go

i assume by south you mean the west side, under the abbey. would that be the board at the bottom of the steps? if so the black horse also on church street gets some interesting guest beers in. 

On 13/12/2020 at 18:33, StingRay said:

San Miguel originates from Manila, Philippines, it’s is cheap out there.

I preferred Red Horse. The kick of the horse!

49 minutes ago, dudywoxer said:

i assume by south you mean the west side, under the abbey. would that be the board at the bottom of the steps? if so the black horse also on church street gets some interesting guest beers in. 

I used to go in the Board, it’s on the Abbey side of the harbour. But many years ago.

Old Peculiar used to be in many pubs in Yorkshire and Cumbria, as well further afield but it’s more of a winter beer. Best pint I’ve had of it was probably in Near Sawrey, with a roaring log fire in winter.

6 minutes ago, leenorris78 said:

I preferred Red Horse. The kick of the horse!

Really, that is skull attack and has a strange aftertaste. Not keen on of any of them to be honest, San Miguel used to be better when I first went to the Philippines about 30 years. 

Most asian beer is pretty naff in my opinion, some of the Vietnamese Boi Hois are not bad and dirt cheap, they are based on Czech recipes, so are clean and relatively hoppy. 

20 hours ago, Headcoat said:

ps to add to above, most pubs do not serve decent craft/kegged beer. Nor do supermarkets usually stock it. The margins are not big enough. Hence in most UK pubs cask may have more to offer,

Life or Death from Tesco's or proper job is the only craft beer I buy from the supermarkets.  Decent stuff.

Landlord is also very pleasant. Otherwise, its from the local craft ale shop or I make it myself.

https://www.hopburnsblack.co.uk - hops for the beer, burns for the chilli products and black for the vinyl.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Headcoat said:

Yes you are right although some are available in supermarkets such as Brewdog. I would have thought there was enough margin on £1.80 for a 330ml can.

I think they should push to get into pubs more. It’s good there is more choice and the quality of keg beer is improving, some of it used to be dire.

14 minutes ago, StingRay said:

Old Peculiar used to be in many pubs in Yorkshire and Cumbria, as well further afield but it’s more of a winter beer. Best pint I’ve had of it was probably in Near Sawrey, with a roaring log fire in winter.

I used to enjoy a pint of Old P, there's a rather nice pub in Robin Hood's Bay where it could be enjoyed. I seem to recall the White Bear in Masham served a good pint of it too. Happy days :)

3 minutes ago, leenorris78 said:

Life or Death from Tesco's or proper job is the only craft beer I buy from the supermarkets.  Decent stuff.

Landlord is also very pleasant. Otherwise, its from the local craft ale shop or I make it myself.

https://www.hopburnsblack.co.uk - hops for the beer, burns for the chilli products and black for the vinyl.

Proper Job is St. Austell?

Landlord is Taylor’s, I would not call them craft beers, these are long established cask beers.

I used to brew my own from full mash but that when I could get the ingredients locally and cheap.

4 minutes ago, Carrington said:

I used to enjoy a pint of Old P, there's a rather nice pub in Robin Hood's Bay where it could be enjoyed. I seem to recall the White Bear in Masham served a good pint of it too. Happy days :)

The White Bear should be good as it’s the brewery tap.

I stayed in Robin Hoods Bay once, I don’t remember the pub though. I recall going to one a few miles away, which was really rough, the beer was good but did not stay very long, Cameron’s if I remember correctly.

Edited by StingRay