30 minutes ago, Denim Demon said:

She loves face bending sours and Lambics from the likes of Cantillon, Cascade, Jester King and Still Water Artisanal.

Yum, lambics.  So more complexity than a simple sour.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Day one of pubs being opened. Mate sent me a pic of a delicious looking beer with the moisture running down sides of glass, taken from a beer garden. Was mighty jealous. Decided to ad-hoc try to

Not at all true. I like the taste of beer, but I don't drink. The quality and taste of many alcohol-free beers is now extremely good. In fact, there are a few that a number of drinking pals actua

There is no more point to alcohol-free beer than there is to decaffeinated coffee. Total waste of time IMO. If you don't want alcohol, don't drink beer. If you don't want caffeine, don't drink coffee.

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, leenorris78 said:

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/idaho-7-new-england-ipa/

The taste is lovely but the colour has a brown tinge to it. I'm trying to work out if it is the introduction of oxygen during bottling or the water chemistry that needs amending.

Still, less than £1 per pint. :)

if you want a distraction from hifi, home brewing can provide it. So much to read.

Nice hop Idaho-7. The other half has been trying to persuade me to home brew for years... next year it will be. I'm mad for hazy, hop soup style NEIPA's and that'll be where I go with the home brews, probably the deep end mind you.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, leenorris78 said:

The taste is lovely but the colour has a brown tinge to it. I'm trying to work out if it is the introduction of oxygen during bottling or the water chemistry that needs amending.

if you want a distraction from hifi, home brewing can provide it. So much to read.

But was it as good as this!? 🍺🍺🍺 https://deyabrewing.com/beer/saturated-in-idaho-7/

My wife and I tried some home-brewing. Goose Island Sweet Porter....ended up with something high ABV ok....but too sweet to our tastes... however we were able trade the endless bottles of it for Pork Pies 😀

• Upvote 1

Last one of the night for me before I fall over or break another stylus. Arbor - 'Shambala'. Another absolute belter. Citra, Ekuanot, Columbus and Mosaic Pale. Just gorgeous. Four gems tonight, no over sweet fade aways. Pure hoppy goodness. I'm delighted, these were all bought from an excellent bottle shop to try before ordering Xmas cases from the breweries; had a few disappointing big buys in last six months so wanted to check first. Happy, hoppy Xmas. 

Arbor are cracking and have great pricing for direct buys. My fave of theirs is the Basta Rosse originally brewed with Mezzo Passo. 🍻

Edited by Denim Demon
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Denim Demon said:

an IPL from the likes of Shindigger

I’ve got a couple of cans of Shindigger IPL in my latest order from them , it’s an intriguing description on the website.

It's not my fave style an IPL but Shindigger do it well. Think Guinness Hop House 13 but not diabolical.

20 hours ago, Phobic said:

having looked at the map Whitby is actually orientated east to west, the pub is on the east side, almost at the bottom of the steps, it's called the Duke of York, have a chat with the landlord, he said the secret to a good pint of Old P is high turn over and well cleaned pipes. Easily the best pint of it I've ever had.

if you go from there to the west side and turn left just before the bridge onto Grape lane, there's a great off licence on the left hand side, massive selection of ales run by a lovely sweet old dear. Never got bored beer wise each week we stayed in whitby for the past 5 years, looking forward to going back again next year - great restaurants there too, the star inn and Marine are cracking, trenchers is tops as well.

the duke is next door to the board, the black horse is down towards the swing bridge. moutreys restaurant on grape lane is worth  a try- especially if anything on the specials board takes your fancy the marine is good, i also like rusty shears for lunch time eating.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, dudywoxer said:

the duke is next door to the board, the black horse is down towards the swing bridge. moutreys restaurant on grape lane is worth  a try- especially if anything on the specials board takes your fancy the marine is good, i also like rusty shears for lunch time eating.

What are prices like now in Whitby?

20 hours ago, leenorris78 said:

Looks interesting. How do you control the temperature, When brewing and fermenting?

I may get my home brew going again, I still have most of the gear.

Surprised they use lager malt for an IPA. Is the yeast top fermenting?

Big fan of Northern Monk here being a Patrons Project Alumni member.

Tonights drinking has been:

Northern Monk / Wylam Darkside of the Moob Black IPA for both of us.

Garage Beer Co.

ESPAI 53 (8.5%): DIPA made with Idaho 7, Mosaic T90, Mosaic BBC, Chinook, Centennial, Simcoe, Columbus hops in collaboration with Humble Sea (California, USA) 

POLANKIK (10%): TIPA made with Citra, Citra Cryo, Bru-1, Galaxy, Sabro, Simcoe, Galaxy hops in collaboration with Equilibrium (NYC, USA) 

BOSTIK (9%): Imperial BCN weisse, made with more than a ton of fruit, we use pink grapefruit, guava and passion fruit, collaboration with Tripping Animals (Florida, USA)

GANDUL (11%): Imperial Stout made with ginger and vanilla, in collaboration with the cracks of Lervig (Norway)

I got the DIPA and TIPA and my wife the Wiesse and the Impy.

Edited by Denim Demon
1 hour ago, StingRay said:

What are prices like now in Whitby?

For beer, No idea, not been this year. Covid and hospital visits have put paid to much travel. Can not remember how much it was the year before. There is a spoons pub that seems popular but as I avoid them wherever possible I tend to pay what is ask without thinking to much about it. Accommodation can be costly. Restaurants pretty much the same as most places. Pubs  for cheap food, chippies everywhere,  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

There's a Sam Smiths pub on the dock which is very cheap, cracking pub too, a proper old school place.

I also like the angel, very good Camra pub up the hill towards Pannett's park on Flowergate, great beer selection and love music. (there's a great deli on flowergate as well).

I'd say food prices are a little bit higher in whitby personally, you're paying tourist rates, but there's a real concentration of good restaurants in the town, lots of choice. You can eat in a different place every day for more than a week and get a very good meal every day.

Other than fish and chips for cheap eats, there's a wartime themed pie & mash shop near the captain cook museum, a few cafe's on skinner street as well.

I'm struggling to think of a bad meal we've ever had there, foodie's heaven...