ampvoice

Linn Sneaky DSM: hiss problem with external power amps

On 18/04/2020 at 21:10, ampvoice said:

I have come to a conclusion that leads me in a certain direction: acquiring a great old school, high-current, low-output-impedance Linn's analogue preamp to guarantee the best sound dynamics possible (thinking about maybe an Exotik, Kairn). Do you think this is the best way to go?

I don’t know. My major concern is that the analogue output of the Sneaky DSM has an officially confirmed issue / weakness. It could also be that your Sneaky has an individual fault. Therefore replacing the Sneaky by an MDSM might be better than adding a pre to the Sneaky. The only way to find out is listening to both setups.

Posted (edited)

Here's the  "famous" background hiss from the Sneaky to my speakers (tests were made on two pairs of different speakers: Tukans and Dali suites).

Maybe, as you said, that could be a problem only related to my unit but taking into consideration Linn's customer service replies and other users comments in other groups/forums, that seems inherent to the hardware.

18 Apr 2020 20_19_41 (clipping).mp3

Edited by ampvoice

That’s broadband noise which negatively affects the whole audio frequency range (including subs). Unfortunately I can’t tell whether this is expected behaviour of the Sneaky DSM’s analogue output or an individual fault.

That's fine, I'll get my pre-amps back soon and let you know.  Thank you for all the information and advice you gave.

On 22/04/2020 at 21:11, BB1 said:

That’s broadband noise which negatively affects the whole audio frequency range (including subs). Unfortunately I can’t tell whether this is expected behaviour of the Sneaky DSM’s analogue output or an individual fault.

Hello @BB1 I finally got my Exotik back and all I can say that no hissing sound is coming from the speakers!

That only proves you were 100% right: you need a preamp in order to use an external amp with the Sneaky DSM. And that is valid at any listening volume.

Once again, thanks for your guidance and helpful suggestions.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I’m glad for you that adding the Exotik solved your issue. And thanks a lot for posting what actually sorted out the problem you’ve reported. It will help others being faced with the same problem. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1