Dac/DSP

Lee M

3 hours ago, Lee M said:

Just say i bought Minidsp SHD Studio. 

Id connect my CCA to the SHD Studio via the optical connection. My pre amp has rca connections on the back. It looks like the SHD doesn't have the rca connections.  Is it possible to connect it all together.

The miniDSP SHD Studio is an all digital unit: digital inputs and digital outputs. Its outputs need to be connected to a DAC or DACs not a conventional pre-amp.

The miniDSP SHD on the other hand has a built in 4 channel DAC. This is what I own one of. As well as a much cheaper 2x4 HD which also has a 4 channel DAC.

Edited by MartinC

3 hours ago, ChemMan said:

I read one report that said unless you sit in the same place all the time one might as well not bother.

The lower in frequency you end up talking then the wider any 'sweet-spot' will be. The single most problematic resonance in my room is at around 36 Hz and killing that with EQ is basically beneficial anywhere in the room.

I'd also just add that a sweet-spot for optimal performance is fundamental to all stereo setups, and so for 'serious' listening I do always sit in the same place.

As you probably know MartinC swears by it. 

I always try to stress that my own positive experience is in combination with a subwoofer. The benefits for just a conventional pair of speakers will be less than I've achieved. And I'm NOT making a case for my system sounding amazing here by the way.

I collect and process measured data for a living and I find the task somewhat daunting.  Maybe I'm a pansy. :)

Using Dirac Live is MUCH easier than the more manual approach I've used as well, although Dirac also gives the user less control. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BeeRay said:

I'm considering getting a Node2, I assume you need something like an iPad to control it? I will be streaming Deezer or Tidal.

Nope, your average mobile is sufficient, as it only acts as a remote control + screen to see tracks or swap between music source ( Internet radio, Tidal etc). The Node will also learn your TV/CD remote commands so it can be used for simple actions like play, pause etc. 

34 minutes ago, MartinC said:

The miniDSP SHD Studio is an all digital unit: digital inputs and digital outputs. Its outputs need to be connected to a DAC or DACs not a conventional pre-amp.

The miniDSP SHD on the other hand has a built in 4 channel DAC. This is what I own one of. As well as a much cheaper 2x4 HD which also has a 4 channel DAC.

Thanks Martin

I have lots to read up on. A one box Dac/dsp is appealing but not a deal breaker

2 minutes ago, Lee M said:

I have lots to read up on. A one box Dac/dsp is appealing but not a deal breaker

I should perhaps have mentioned that the SHD also has analogue inputs that are fed into an analogue to digital converter (ADC). If you only intend to use digital sources this is irrelevant though.

For the foreseeable future ill just be streaming. I'd love a record deck but ill just end up bankrupt buying records.

31 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Nope, your average mobile is sufficient, as it only acts as a remote control + screen to see tracks or swap between music source ( Internet radio, Tidal etc). The Node will also learn your TV/CD remote commands so it can be used for simple actions like play, pause etc. 

Thanks but I doubt my mobile will be OK but I have an old ipad I could use.

3 hours ago, MartinC said:

With a conventional pre-amp and two mono's (as I have), I assume the SHD would make my pre-amp redundant?

And how (where in the chain) would I connect one of the minidsp 2 x 4HD or DDRC-24's?

I have recently purchased a UMIK-1 and downloaded REW, so having a bit of 'fun' with that at the moment. Sometimes fascinating and sometimes rather frustrating. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Three sheds said:

With a conventional pre-amp and two mono's (as I have), I assume the SHD would make my pre-amp redundant?

And how (where in the chain) would I connect one of the minidsp 2 x 4HD or DDRC-24's?

I have recently purchased a UMIK-1 and downloaded REW, so having a bit of 'fun' with that at the moment. Sometimes fascinating and sometimes rather frustrating. 

Very quick reply as I need to get to bed.

Any of the three miniDSPs you mentioned could in principle act as preamps as well but the SHD is significantly better suited to the role by virtue of having a screen to display source and volume setting. If you only want two output channels then any could be used in conjunction with a conventional preamp. 

• Like 2

Hello.

Just for arguments sake i bought a RME dac and a cheaper Minidsp unit. Would the extra bits and bobs on the RME dac be wasted like the equaliser for example. If so would a Chord Qutest Dac for instance be better value asi wont be wasting features.

Im still reading up. I noticed that the RME can adjust the right channel only as i seem to have slight less hearing on my rhs. Its mainly only me that listens to the system. So ill see if it can be changed by a push of a preset.

This is a far more daunting task than i originally thought. Thanks again for the input

This would do me nicely if I had the rack space (and budget). http://aries-cerat.eu/products/da-converters/kassandra-series

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, monya said:

This would do me nicely if I had the rack space (and budget). http://aries-cerat.eu/products/da-converters/kassandra-series

Very nice. Kinda just out of my price range. Lol

2 hours ago, Lee M said:

Just for arguments sake i bought a RME dac and a cheaper Minidsp unit. 

Which miniDSP were you considering there, and why? Generally I'd think of the RME ADI whatever it is being an alternative to a miniDSP.

The RME 2adi dac is pretty versatile. Single (L+R the same) or dual (separateL+Rsettings) 5 band parametric eq.

20 storable presets, bass treble eq, balance, loudness function etc.

It does take a while to figure out the navigation, but the paper manual is useful.

The mini Dsp offerings will do the eq work for you. They may, I expect have a more sophisticated eq. I imagine the final outcome could well be similar if you're patient and have good ears. But the mini Dsp will eliminate any guesswork. I don't think I'd look to owning both though.

I've ownd an RME for about a year, and been very happy. I use the eq features. Running as a pre direct to a power amp I'm about-40 on the volume with current speakers. Picked up a second hand U mic last year but still haven't got round to trying it seriously. I'm still relying on my not so golden ears !

The optical out from a CCA running something like Qobuz is very good imo. really not far behind cd.

I can't speak for the pre or the dac in the miniDsp, but if they're on a par with the RME, then the SHD certainly looks like great bit of kit.