LinnJim

Temptation to jump down the LP12 rabbit hole

1 minute ago, JohnnyBuchan said:

Just ordered one, see how it goes. Cheers :^

Unless you have rowdy beer spilling parties or klutz for guests it's all you'll ever need.:^

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JohnnyBuchan said:

Just ordered one, see how it goes. Cheers :^

Same here, thx for sharing :-)

• Like 1

I know it's very subjective but how does an ADS, 4200 system compare to a AEDSM, AEB-I system?

I only ask because it seems that this might be the best time to switch to exakt, if I'm spending money on more boxes to play the LP12 then It may be worth biting the bullet and selling my system to fund an exakt one now.

This way I will also get the akurate phone stage and pre amp too right?

I have only heard exakt on a set of doriks, I was very impressed.

Logic seems to dictate that the AEB-I is only really Akurate in name though.

On 19/04/2020 at 22:13, LinnJim said:

I know it's very subjective but how does an ADS, 4200 system compare to a AEDSM, AEB-I system?

I only ask because it seems that this might be the best time to switch to exakt, if I'm spending money on more boxes to play the LP12 then It may be worth biting the bullet and selling my system to fund an exakt one now.

This way I will also get the akurate phone stage and pre amp too right?

I have only heard exakt on a set of doriks, I was very impressed.

Logic seems to dictate that the AEB-I is only really Akurate in name though.

I switched from ADSM/1 + A2200 + C4200 (dyn) for MISO to AEDSM + Majik ExaktBox I ant the latter was totally superior. Given the improvements brought by Katalyst in the AEB-I it is likely to be even a better. You will get the phono stage but note tat there is no analogue pre-amp out (which you will not need). 
Regards Øyvind I

More twists and turns and I haven't even jumped into the rabbit hole yet.

I have just been offered a 2020 spec LP12 for a very reasonable price.

I think this is the route I am going to take now and aim for a lingo 4 in the near future. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, LinnJim said:

I have just been offered a 2020 spec LP12 for a very reasonable price.

Lucky you! Does 2020 spec mean that it has Karousel fitted? If it doesn't yet have Lingo, that implies that it is a t Majik level. But you may well have found your ideal starting point. All you need how is that preamplifier ...

David

It is an ex display majik model with Karousel. 

It seems exactly what I am looking for apart from the walnut plinth but I can live with that, for the time being.

I fear the hunt for a phono/pre will be harder though and I am seriously considering moving towards a DSM now.

At least this route provides some future proofing.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Walnut is beautiful and timeless.

Hopefully you will have your eyes closed most of the time anyway whilst you are drawn in and overwhelmed by the beauty of the sound !

Edited by LanceG
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LinnJim said:

I fear the hunt for a phono/pre will be harder though and I am seriously considering moving towards a DSM now.

Given that the difference between the new price of the ADSM/3 and that of the ADS/3 is "only" £900, I have to agree that that is likely now to be your most cost-effective option. And we know that the ADSM has a decent phono stage. If you decide to get one, remember to ask the dealer to switch the input from MC (which is the default) to MM.

David

Edited by DavidHB

More great advice thanks david, I had presumed this would be easily done by myself.

LanceG - I do like the walnut and more importantly so does shmbo but it would look a lot more at home if it was cherry, like my 212s.

I have the option of a brand new sealed ADSM/2 for just over £3k which I think may be a good choice.

It would leave my lingo 4 plans on the back seat whilst I saved for the Katalyst upgrade again though. Who knows, the ADSM/4 may even be in the pipeline anyway... wishful thinking I'm sure.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, LinnJim said:

It would leave my lingo 4 plans on the back seat whilst I saved for the Katalyst upgrade again though. Who knows, the ADSM/4 may even be in the pipeline anyway... wishful thinking I'm sure.

+1 for Katalyst. Makes a lot of sense (and fun).

A viable alternative to a new Lingo 4 would be to wait for a used Radikal. My dealer was selling one at 2000€ a year ago, when the previous owner went for the machined Radikal. That gave me some sleepless nights, haha. Finally, my bonus for the previous year was still unclear. I stayed prudent and let the Radikal go to someone else. For the extra money (as compared to a Lingo 4) you'd get another sound improvement, plus the capability to go for a Urika or UrikaII. Used Urikas are sold often cheaper than used Uphoriks. Obviously, Lejonklou preamps appear to be a viable alternative, according to the folks on this forum. Maybe something, you wish to sort-out for yourself. It's always good to have a 'big picture' which way you'd prefer to go for future upgrades.

Unfortunately, I never had an opportunity to audition anything made by Lejonklou. You don't find them in Northern Germany.

Edited by TooManyCatweazles

Posted (edited)

I had presumed this would be easily done by myself

It's fiddly, and Linn don't provide users with instructions. I've done it, but would not recommend that a user should do it unless he or she has at least some experience with the innards of electronic devices. If you can leave the job to the dealer, I'd suggest that you do so. (That said, any difficulty pales into insignificance compared with the full scale war I've had to fight just to fit an extra stick of RAM to my new new QNAP TS-251+ NAS, so it's all relative.)

I have the option of a brand new sealed ADSM/2 for just over £3k which I think may be a good choice.

But it's not Katalyst, while IIRC you have a Katalyst ADS. If you factor in £1,800 for the upgrade, that's, say, £5,000 for an effectively new fully warranted ADSM/3, compared with a catalogue price  of £7,500, and you still have your ADS to trade in if it's not already part of the deal of course. If the bank balance can stand it, that has to be a no-brainer.

I do like the walnut and more importantly so does shmbo but it would look a lot more at home if it was cherry, like my 212s.

So how would SWMBO like a nice pair of walnut Akudoriks? :) 

36 minutes ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

A viable alternative to a new Lingo 4 would be to wait for a used Radikal.

A decent used Akurate level Radikal at £2,000 would indeed probably be an even better long term buy than a new Lingo 4 at £1,450. But then you might be able to find a used Lingo 4 for £1,000 or so. As dealer fitting is required in both cases, it will depend on what your dealer can provide or source. All the more reason, I think, for starting off with the Majik TT now, and leaving the Lingo/Radikal issue for a future decision. (The nice walnut Akudoriks might have to come first. :) )

David

Edited by DavidHB
  • Like 1

Thanks for your help everyone.

My LP12 arrives next week along with a ADSM on a home demo loan for the time being.

Hoping to sell my ADS/3 in the mean time, so the loan becomes a sale.

Already spent an obscene amount on vinyl, why is it all the albums I really want are rare!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

"on a home demo loan for the time being".

Ideal. The proof of the pudding and all that ! Hopefully it will be a great success. If not you will learn a great deal from the experience.

Please update me/us on the outcome and your thoughts once you have auditioned sufficiently !

Edited by LanceG

On 23/04/2020 at 17:33, LanceG said:

"on a home demo loan for the time being".

Ideal. The proof of the pudding and all that ! Hopefully it will be a great success. If not you will learn a great deal from the experience.

Please update me/us on the outcome and your thoughts once you have auditioned sufficiently !

I should get all my new toys tomorrow, all being well. I'll need a lagavulin to help me sleep tonight!

I will certainly keep you posted, I'm sure it will all be positive.

I have just ordered one of these too...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F174158557910

hope the link works.

It seems like an acceptable, albeit temporary solution to my placement issues. It has leveling feet, fits the dimensions perfectly, has a record storage area underneath and I'm hoping the frame will make a handy jig for future servicing / upgrades.

• Like 1