LinnJim

Temptation to jump down the LP12 rabbit hole

"I'll need a lagavulin to help me sleep tonight!"

Ha Ha ! Absolutely wonderful that you are not too old to still get so excited at the prospect of a new toy in the morning !

Sleep well !

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

It arrived at about 7pm tonight.

Once I had taken off the tv and pulled the large cabinet away from the wall it didn't take me long to realise that the lp12 wouldnt reach my dsm from my intended cabinet.

Consequently my amazing new lp12 is sat on a cardboard box on the floor and will have to stay there until my ebay special £29 side stand arrives.

All that said though, I had time to listen to 2 albums before my self imposed cut off time of 10pm (sometimes i wish i hated my neighbours).

I was pleasantly surprised by how much the travelling wilburys vol 1 made me want to tap my feet but I was gobsmacked at how good Made in Heaven sounded!

It certainly passed the goosebumps test.

I cant wait to get it all properly leveled and start tinkering with the tonearm settings etc.

Am I right in thinking that the numbers on the tone arm counterweight are in grams?

Once balanced and set to 0 I turned the counterweight to 1.75 as the adikt suggests 1.75g as a starting point for tracking force.

I set the anti skate to about 1.5 but haven't touched the vta.

Is it just me or are linn manuals useless?

There isn't one for the majik tonearm that I could find.

I ended up downloading the jelco 250st manual instead it suggested the stylus be set 5-10mm below the platter height.

Sorry about the long post, blame it on excitement. 

Edited by LinnJim
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, LinnJim said:

It arrived at about 7pm tonight.

Once I had taken off the tv and pulled the large cabinet away from the wall it didn't take me long to realise that the lp12 wouldnt reach my dsm from my intended cabinet.

Consequently my amazing new lp12 is sat on a cardboard box on the floor and will have to stay there until my ebay special £29 side stand arrives.

All that said though, I had time to listen to 2 albums before my self imposed cut off time of 10pm (sometimes i wish i hated my neighbours).

I was pleasantly surprised by how much the travelling wilburys vol 1 made me want to tap my feet but I was gobsmacked at how good Made in Heaven sounded!

It certainly passed the goosebumps test.

I cant wait to get it all properly leveled and start tinkering with the tonearm settings etc.

Am I right in thinking that the numbers on the tone arm counterweight are in grams?

Once balanced and set to 0 I turned the counterweight to 1.75 as the adikt suggests 1.75g as a starting point for tracking force.

I set the anti skate to about 1.5 but haven't touched the vta.

Is it just me or are linn manuals useless?

There isn't one for the majik tonearm that I could find.

I ended up downloading the jelco 250st manual instead it suggested the stylus be set 5-10mm below the platter height.

Sorry about the long post, blame it on excitement. 

Quick, run out to Ikea and buy a Lack table. They are practically free. If you like it on a cardboard box, you are in for a real treat.

• Like 2

On 04/05/2020 at 22:25, akamatsu said:

Quick, run out to Ikea and buy a Lack table. They are practically free. If you like it on a cardboard box, you are in for a real treat.

My Lack arrives on Monday, thanks for the tip.

Is there a recognized way to level the ikea lack table? I presume most add spikes to the feet?

I recall that when I got mine, about thirty eight years ago, the dealer brought it, and spent about 30 minutes making sure that it was set up properly. Bill, I kept wondering how long you were going to be. I needed my dinner.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, LinnJim said:

My Lack arrives on Monday, thanks for the tip.

Is there a recognized way to level the ikea lack table? I presume most add spikes to the feet?

I think that is the way to do it. I've never used a Lack for my TT. You may reach out to @HDMan72. I believe he has.

Edited by akamatsu

I taped (double-sided tape) metal cones to the bottom of the feet back when I used the Lack table. It worked well.

On 09/05/2020 at 15:08, Guzziboy said:

I recall that when I got mine, about thirty eight years ago, the dealer brought it, and spent about 30 minutes making sure that it was set up properly. Bill, I kept wondering how long you were going to be. I needed my dinner.

It's a well established practice in this house to invite the dealer to the dinner table ;-)

2 hours ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

It's a well established practice in this house to invite the dealer to the dinner table ;-)

The method I practiced was to invite the dealer to leave the LP12 outside the front door and take several steps backwards

• Haha 2

On 23/04/2020 at 16:48, LinnJim said:

Thanks for your help everyone.

My LP12 arrives next week along with a ADSM on a home demo loan for the time being.

Hoping to sell my ADS/3 in the mean time, so the loan becomes a sale.

Already spent an obscene amount on vinyl, why is it all the albums I really want are rare!

The rabbit hole. Is it still dark down there, or have you seen the light ! What's the latest ?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LanceG said:

The rabbit hole. Is it still dark down there, or have you seen the light ! What's the latest ?

I’m pretty sure that that LP12 is ‘the light’.

IMO a KDS/3, or any other decent digital source can’t ‘hold a candle’ (sic) to a decent LP12.

Edited by kelly200269

2 hours ago, LanceG said:

I recieved my majik LP12 and instantly fell in love with it.

I have now put it on a spiked LACK table and adjusted the tonearm to my liking.

I am enjoying every aspect of owning a TT, I haven't stopped looking for vinyl since it arrived.

My only concern is that I can already feel the urge to upgrade to lingo 4!

Upgradeitis is real.

For now though I think I need to fight the urges and spend my money on LPs instead.

Currently listening to the Beatles Esher sessions on 180g vinyl, bliss.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, LinnJim said:

You must fight that urge at all cost............

and get a Radikal instead. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, LinnJim said:

You must fight that urge at all cost............

and get a Radikal instead. :D

I thoroughly agree.  See how helpful we are? ;)

• Haha 5

Super Wammer
12 hours ago, LinnJim said:

I recieved my majik LP12 and instantly fell in love with it.

I have now put it on a spiked LACK table and adjusted the tonearm to my liking.

I am enjoying every aspect of owning a TT, I haven't stopped looking for vinyl since it arrived.

Upgradeitis is real.

For now though I think I need to fight the urges and spend my money on LPs instead.

Currently listening to the Beatles Esher sessions on 180g vinyl, bliss.

I have loved this thread (which I only discovered yesterday) and can palpably feel the excitement which it recreates. A less wallet adjusting enhancement might be exploring Spider’s Velvet Vortex ultrasonic record cleaner. Happy if you live nearby to demo it. Really good value (compared to my Loricraft which I bought to manage charity shop vinyl purchases with some success). It reminds me of the first LP I bought by Martin Taylor after wondering if I had made the right decision listening to my record collection with my next LP12 with all it’s inherent surface noise (we are talking Osibisa’s first album here!) some 7 years ago and wondering why there was no record noise at all. So the source here is the record which needs to be loved and cared for! 

Spiked Lack Table great idea, but not so clever here with suspended floor over garage! Target (or other) wall shelf another value enhancer!

Even better - green paper (does it still exist?).

Seems like the Walnut issue has been relegated as ears dominate eyes!

By the way it sounds like you really are having fun!

• Like 2