Whilst all locked up I was playing the should I change my bike game.

I have played this before and never come up with the answer to the question, but what should I get. I want something lighter than the beautiful B model barge I have, more up right and comfy for growing old with.  Must have a decent pillion.

New Yamaha MT models too small and narrow and a bit ugly.

Yamaha FZ8 now maybe that's the answer

Suzuki GSX-S1000 very ugly,

old Blade too similar,

RG1200 GS everywhere with more lights and poles and bars than an oil rig 

Harley Davidson really noisy and really, would you 

Honda CBR something or other small depending on model and not really a Honda fan,

Versys 1000/650 possibly but ones a bit small and the other too heavy and both a bit ugly,

Suzuki Bandit of some description possibly but some are heavy,

GSX1300/XJR nice and heavy but low slung weight,

ZZR1100/1200 old and heavier than mine

ZX7R crippling and old,

Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 heavy but different enough to make the change noticeable perhaps,

Ducati 916 small skinny uncomfy and I'm going to whisper it UGLY,  

Ducati 999 that's a bit better but a bugger to service, and uncomfy for an old man,

Bimota something or other skinny seats and low bars,

GSXR SRAD very nice light maybe crippling at my age,

R1 old original one nice but at 57 yrs old I'd be crippled on one,

Triumph Tiger now this could work bit heavy though but a lot of road presence.

Apologies for the rambling just fancied putting my thoughts down more for me than owt else, nothing serious just a bit of a pointless Saturday ramble nowt else to do, bit early for music with 3/4 of the family still in bed.

Bikers with any of the above please don't take offence at comments. Not a fan of modern bikes with the random bits of plastic fairing stuck here and there.  Quite like the Kawasaki Z900RS though but maybe not the brown one that you see all the time.

Posted (edited)

I have a K16, and it is very comfy for both rider and pillion. I was going to try a GS (not a fan, but thought I would have a go) or get a new K16.

Have had a R1200RS and that was very good, may have the 1250 sometime in the future.

Pillion comfort is a big consideration and why a S1000XR is not an option. I may go back to a Triumph Explorer, as they are very comfortable, but the CG is high and can make it wobbly for me from standstill upto 10mph.

What about a PAN or a new Z1000?

Edited by Bolosun

I wouldn't want anything heavier than mine so a Pan wouldn't be for me, I struggle U-turning mine now sometimes on funny cambers.

Z1000? is probably perfect but I am too much of a design tart!  I just don't get modern bits plastic bike design, they look to me like transformer toys and I half expect them to turn into a robot or a monster truck or something.

If a K16 is what I think it is I guess it's heavy but I'll have google-about.

That's a Hyabusa in your avatar, about the same weight as mine but way more powerful, a lot of fun I would imagine.

Cheers.

R1200RS appeals but would probably go for the unaired R version.

Fancy a Guzzi Breva 1100 or an FZ8 if really honest with myself.  Once out of this corona-mess might organise a couple of test rides.

The Hayabusa is a brilliant touring machine and comfortable for pillion. But ageing knees have now restricted it in that area.

That is part of my problem age.  I was 35 when I bought the ZX9, but it is a bit severe for long days out.  

Seriously considering R1200R, Guzzi Breva or FZ8, test drives required:D

• Like 1

On 18/04/2020 at 09:30, toms wait said:

Whilst all locked up I was playing the should I change my bike game.

I have played this before and never come up with the answer to the question, but what should I get. I want something lighter than the beautiful B model barge I have, more up right and comfy for growing old with.  Must have a decent pillion.

New Yamaha MT models too small and narrow and a bit ugly.

Yamaha FZ8 now maybe that's the answer

Suzuki GSX-S1000 very ugly,

old Blade too similar,

RG1200 GS everywhere with more lights and poles and bars than an oil rig 

Harley Davidson really noisy and really, would you 

Honda CBR something or other small depending on model and not really a Honda fan,

Versys 1000/650 possibly but ones a bit small and the other too heavy and both a bit ugly,

Suzuki Bandit of some description possibly but some are heavy,

GSX1300/XJR nice and heavy but low slung weight,

ZZR1100/1200 old and heavier than mine

ZX7R crippling and old,

Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 heavy but different enough to make the change noticeable perhaps,

Ducati 916 small skinny uncomfy and I'm going to whisper it UGLY,  

Ducati 999 that's a bit better but a bugger to service, and uncomfy for an old man,

Bimota something or other skinny seats and low bars,

GSXR SRAD very nice light maybe crippling at my age,

R1 old original one nice but at 57 yrs old I'd be crippled on one,

Triumph Tiger now this could work bit heavy though but a lot of road presence.

Apologies for the rambling just fancied putting my thoughts down more for me than owt else, nothing serious just a bit of a pointless Saturday ramble nowt else to do, bit early for music with 3/4 of the family still in bed.

Bikers with any of the above please don't take offence at comments. Not a fan of modern bikes with the random bits of plastic fairing stuck here and there.  Quite like the Kawasaki Z900RS though but maybe not the brown one that you see all the time.

I'm no motorbike fan but my brother had the ZXR 750. I rode pillion many times, and he said he couldn't think of a better bike for shear thrills. Certainly looked the biz and was a race replica. Scary dude (the bike not my brother).

31 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

I'm no motorbike fan but my brother had the ZXR 750. I rode pillion many times, and he said he couldn't think of a better bike for shear thrills. Certainly looked the biz and was a race replica. Scary dude (the bike not my brother).

ZXR750's are still one of the best looking bikes IMHO, better looking than the over-rated IMHO Ducati 916.

5 minutes ago, awkwardbydesign said:

Buy my Guzzi! :D

I'm too old for it now, and besides, I want a new power amp.  I still have the SV650S to play on.

I saw that but not my style, if it had been a Breva 1100 or Sport 1100 I'd have been tempted.

5 hours ago, toms wait said:

ZXR750's are still one of the best looking bikes IMHO, better looking than the over-rated IMHO Ducati 916.

Your Ninja isn't ugly by any stretch. However, the ZXR 750 is a little long in the tooth now, but for sporty looking bikes Kwakers are hard to beat.

My Zx9r is ace looking, bit heavy and a bit uncomfy but I have done nearly 300 miles in a day on it.

zx.jpg

10 hours ago, toms wait said:

My Zx9r is ace looking, bit heavy and a bit uncomfy but I have done nearly 300 miles in a day on it.

zx.jpg

Nice. Trying to match style with comfort is tricky.

Two in my garage, a 2004 BMW R1100S and a 2007 Kawasaki ZZR600. As I have short legs I prefer the ZZR for comfort and nutter bike, but the BM munches miles with ease. BM is currently waiting for a new clutch to be fitted. Would never buy another BM as the new ones aren't made out of granite like the old uns, and you need deep pockets for their spares prices.

When I was between jobs in the early 90's I did a spot of despatch riding for a couple of years on a 1986 K75, bike never missed a beat and had nearly 90K on the clock. Nephew took it off me about 15 years ago as a winter hack, again totally reliable, then gave it back once he had learnt to drive. Different nephew then took the bike two years ago to do a complete strip down and rebuild/refurb, now finished and is an absolute gem to behold, superbly comfortable and rock solid on the road.