I had a ZZR600 before the zx9r.  I wasn't sure what a K75 was but that is a bike you could do all sorts of modernising on.

Posted (edited)

Oh sorry, it's a BMW K75, three cylinder engine with traditional beemer shaft drive, sibling to the K100 four cylinder. I don't like the modded K75's I've seen, what my nephew has done in bringing it back to standard finish is simply brilliant, 34 years old now and it looks like it's just come out of the showroom. He's as chuffed with it as I am but it's cost him a pretty penny to get it back from what would have been a scrapyard candidate.

With regard to your search what about a VFR?  

Edited by DougK

Having ridden the K75 on many occasions, I always thought it was the sweetest of the BMW 'Bricks'. Similar in fact to the Boxer engines where the R80 series engines were almost as sprightly, but so much freer and sweeter-revving than the R100. I was invited to the BMW (UK) launch of the re-introduced Boxer-engined bikes at Silverstone (think it was around 1986/7?) and of all the bikes there - which included everything up to the K100RS - the nicest bike all day was the naked R80. Lovely thing.

Good call re the VFR - comfortable, plenty of character, and an engineering tour de force. I had 2 800's (both pre-Vtec) and enjoyed them immensely.

• Like 1

I had a K100 and then an R100RS (twin shock).

The R100RS was the best tourer I have owned.

• Like 1

I liked the VFR 750 but they sort of lost there way with the 800, then all that VTEC stuff really put me off.  The VTEC looked good though, although why a sport touring bike needs under seat exhausts to roast your pillion is beyond me.  The present VFR looks a bit like a Ducati to me.

I am hard to please/fussy, next months practical sports bike will be interesting, my old bus might be in it!

7 hours ago, toms wait said:

I liked the VFR 750 but they sort of lost there way with the 800, then all that VTEC stuff really put me off.  The VTEC looked good though, although why a sport touring bike needs under seat exhausts to roast your pillion is beyond me.  The present VFR looks a bit like a Ducati to me.

I am hard to please/fussy, next months practical sports bike will be interesting, my old bus might be in it!

The 800 was an interesting one for me and took a little while to 'get it'. The first one I owned was back in 2002, and whilst it was a bike I respected hugely, I never bonded with it. Jump forward to 2014, I'd just sold my Honda Blackbird (which I'd owned for 8 years, putting over 90k miles on) and picked up a beautiful 1999 VFR800 - basically wanted something a bit lighter and more comfortable...and less likely to lose my license on! 

Speaking to a good friend (who works as a police officer on traffic in Scotland) who also owned a VFR800 some years ago always said that the bit problem with folk who don't gel with the 800, tend to think of it as a twin because in many ways it feels like one. Sure it will get a clip on when ridden conservatively, but in his words 'ride it like a 600 - ie rag the spuds off it - it just comes alive'. A long weekend in France in 2015 covering over 2000 miles and I just fell in love with the thing. That pre-Vtec motor is a masterpiece. It is typically Honda in many ways though - ride it for an hour and it just feels bland, ride it for a day and it starts to make sense. 

Some of our gang, somewhere near Cognac:

18923753930_928d62c036_b.jpgDSCF0632 by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

• Like 3

That is better looking than I remembered them.

Might just have a browse about to see what's out there.  I remember a yellow one that looked a bit iffy, a deep metallic blue would look cool or maybe even white.

Up at 3 am again.

Messing on here again.

Not a nightmare this time.

Found this old post of mine and had a read through.

Recommendation to the OP (me) stop getting up at 3pm.

Oh and look seriously into as new as you can TDM 900.

Posted (edited)

Got a work colleague who went from a ZXR750 to a TDM 900 and wasn't at all impressed by it, he missed the acceleration. Sold the TDM after two years and bought a Fazer/FZ1 series, he raised the bars and couldn't be more happy. Dimensionally it doesn't look like a 1000cc bike and he loves it.

(note: both he and I are both in our 60's :)

Edited by DougK

actually FZ1 or FZ8 are in my sights also.