HiFi Upgrades For Little Money

I have purchased a lot of HiFi equipment over the years, and do my best to negotiate a fair price, but am always happy to get a bit of a deal. There is always some satisfaction in getting a good deal that somehow gives me a happy feeling. 

My favorite purchases are when I can sell off my older items and use the money towards purchasing the new equipment. I find greater satisfaction in my purchase when I do that.

I know some people on the forum that have done major upgrades selling off things around the house, with no net outlay for their new equipment. 

If I purchase an item, after several years enjoyment, I usually sell it for half the price and feel I got good value as I was able to get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

I have purchased a new pair of Akudoriks  (new for me) and am now looking at ways of selling things around the house that will reduce the net money outlay towards the new purchase.

In the past I have sold off old cables, power cords, speaker wires, interconnects, power conditioners, speakers, electronics, exercise equipment and even bicycles to help reduce the cost of the new item. Looking around the house at the moment, I have a spin bike to sell off. It turns out I have used it more for hanging clothes to dry on then using as intended, as an exercise bike.

I am also planning on selling off my Akurate 212’s to one of the guys on the HiFi Wigwam

Time to look around the house to see what else there is.....

What is your approach to purchasing upgrades with minimizing your net money outlay?

Ex-demo! More or less all my gear is ex-demo. But of course I have made some upgrades on my DSM at list price. I have a dealer treating the stuff with great care so I have no worries, and there is fair amount of warranty left. One have to be patient waiting for the right gear to turn up but I find some satisfaction in the planning and waiting as well.

Edited by HansBertil
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, pdcman said:

Kids,wife, kidneys, the usual stuff.......

I hope you haven't already sold your second kidney. Before selling the wife and kids, sell one each of their kidneys. This will maximize cash in.

Right now, the best hifi upgrade for little money is the Karousel.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, akamatsu said:

Right now, the best hifi upgrade for little money is the Karousel.

Doesn't do Paul any good though, can't fit those to a Rega RP3 :P

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Tendaberry said:

I think that would be a Rega P5. Still won't fit. :D

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Tendaberry said:

A friend of mine very kindly gave me his Rega P5 this week. I only have a couple of vinyl in my collection though.

He just received his brand new Akurate  LP-12 this week.   😊

Edited by Paulssurround
1 hour ago, Fester said:

I’ve been prostituting....unfortunately I’m still in the red.👄

Well that explains the new Akubariks.       😂

Grow weed Paul! Big bushy indicas in each corner as bass traps, and some sativas down the sides. Do it right and you're looking at your Klimax Sondek pretty quick eh!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Beginning of March I upgraded from Majik DSM to an Akurat DSM. Before that I got myself a 300€ Chinese integrated tube amplifier, and I am using the Akurat as a source only at the moment.
I got the tube amp only because it was fairly inexpensive and I was very curious about the tube sound.
price value ratio of the tube amp is phenomenal!

So right now I don't know what I do enjoy more. The new Akurate or the tube sound.

And the WAF for the tube amp is awesome. My wife says now I do not need to light extra candles when listening to music! :D

So there is my "upgrade" for little money.

It's a heater in the winter too! Does owning it make you feel the need to grow fanciful facial hair?

On 20/04/2020 at 02:50, Jail4CEOs2 said:

Grow weed Paul! Big bushy indicas in each corner as bass traps, and some sativas down the sides. Do it right and you're looking at your Klimax Sondek pretty quick eh!

Good idea.

My place could use more diffusers and plants to decorate the place. I am sure the neighbours will be pleased. 

The good news is I sold my spin bike yesterday, so I am moving towards my goal

I am please to report that I have sold off my spin bike and invoiced for my consulting services.

This should keep the upgrade costs in order

The Akudoriks are scheduled to be delivered today, if all goes well. 😊🙏

• Like 1