HiFi Upgrades For Little Money

On 20/04/2020 at 02:50, Jail4CEOs2 said:

Grow weed Paul! Big bushy indicas in each corner as bass traps, and some sativas down the sides. Do it right and you're looking at your Klimax Sondek pretty quick eh!

It's so obvious that it didn't even occur to me. The biggest hifi upgrade for little money is........cannabis!

• Upvote 2

Back to the subject of the thread and only slightly tongue-in-cheek, but I accidentally discovered a free/cheap upgrade over the last couple of weeks.

I signed up to Tidal (you can get a free month) and listened to a lot of stuff for several days to try and make use of it and see what was on there. Then yesterday an LP came in the post (Skint and Demoralised album from last year), stuck it on the old fruit box and was blown away with the sound, a couple of records later I realised that a great upgrade is to adjust your ears to Tidal (CD quality) then go back to your record player! 😁

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3
On 24/04/2020 at 16:28, akamatsu said:

It's so obvious that it didn't even occur to me. The biggest hifi upgrade for little money is........cannabis!

But only when lockdown is done, and you can get back into Cana(bis)da ...

David

• Haha 1

So at the end of the day, I have upgraded my 212’s to Akudoriks after selling my spin bike and the 212’s, as well as an income tax refund.

I was able to do the upgrade for no additional money out of my bank account.   

I love those kind of upgrades. 😊

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

Yesterday, I sold off my last remaining pair of Linn silvers.

This last 12 months, I was able to sell off many items that have facilitated my upgrades from Akurate 212’s to passive Akudoriks, Majik Exaktbox I to Akurate Exaktbox I, and Shunyata Denali v1 to Shunyata Denali v2.

It gives me great satisfaction to have enjoyed my Linn and then upgrade to new versions, while keeping the costs more  affordable.

2 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

Yesterday, I sold off my last remaining pair of Linn silvers.

Scarily, I've just counted mine up and I have 18 pairs of these things in use!

Just now, Dasher said:

Scarily, I've just counted mine up and I have 18 pairs of these things in use!

Wow, that is a lot of Linn silvers

‘When I had my Majik Isobariks with a 212 centre and 109 surrounds, I had 9 pairs of Linn silvers.  😊 

Analogue  SACD, Analogue 5.(2), two record loops and then all the 'Normal' inputs - I'm glad that I've sneaked them in  over long period of time. At one time all the patch cables were hand made - but my soldering skills were pretty crap and I slowing replaced them.I've got loads of 30-50cm unterminated cut lengths of Linn Silver cable sitting around doing nothing.In the spirit of this thread it should (now will) go in eBay to swell the Hana fund - the fund  is a bit like those that you see up the side of a church steeple - it has E,  S and M targets on it!

• 2 months later...

Resurrecting this thread in a slightly different direction (sorry Paul)

I had my ears cleaned out at the pharmacy today.  Hearing changes , rather than total loss is insidious, you don't notice them, as they happen over a long time.  Listening to various bits of music afterwards, whilst the actual perceived volume hasn't changed,; clarity has.  

Best £60 I've spent on my hifi in a long while.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Ian H said:

Resurrecting this thread in a slightly different direction (sorry Paul)

I had my ears cleaned out at the pharmacy today.  Hearing changes , rather than total loss is insidious, you don't notice them, as they happen over a long time.  Listening to various bits of music afterwards, whilst the actual perceived volume hasn't changed,; clarity has.  

Best £60 I've spent on my hifi in a long while.

Great advice. It all fits into the thread, and is a great upgrade for little money

‘I do use Q-tips, but have read that it is not always the best idea

9 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

‘I do use Q-tips, but have read that it is not always the best idea

Warm olive oil is my grandmother's recipe. Don't be tempted to add the balsamic though

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, petecallaghan said:

Warm olive oil is my grandmother's recipe. Don't be tempted to add the balsamic though

And then use it as a base for a your favourite pasta 👌

• Haha 1
16 minutes ago, petecallaghan said:

Nice!!!  

I assume the olive oil should be organic virgin single pressed,  grown on the slopes of Mount Vesuvius, harvested under a full moon ?

• Haha 2