Non-Smoking Man

NFL 2020-2021

Correct hylander - no London games this coming season.

However, the good news is that next season is due to start September 10th as planned.

One or two will be interested in post draft betting moves. (As a punter I have to monitor where the dollars are going, partly because the weight of money indicates how well the draft went for each team and how well preparations are going. Less to report re the latter due to the lockdown.)

There has been money for the Vikings - down from 46 to 28. Tampa Bay are shorter because of the Brady transfer. At the head of the market the Ravens are vying for favouritism with the holders, Kansas City, having had a reasonable draft. Many judges thought the Ravens were the strongest team heading into the play offs last year and their impressive QB will be charging out of the blocks to make an early impression. Jackson, last season's MVP, might be worth the Skysports subscription on his own! The Cards have dropped from 65 to 48 after some smart draft trading (inc. swapping their second round pick for Deandre Hopkins, who will be the number 1 target at WR for rising star Kyler Murray (QB)). Simmons, their number 8 pick, gives them options in the defence. Dallas, too, did well in the draft and they have their supporters.

Jack

Posted (edited)

Where (OK Buffalo) and when John?

Jack

Edited by Non-Smoking Man

On 03/06/2020 at 11:49, Non-Smoking Man said:

Where (OK Buffalo) and when John?

Jack

Sorry Jack didn't see your post

It was at New Era stadium in September last year  playing the Patriots and a very mediocre Brady.

@Barbour81 I was livinging in New York State for eight years but that was many years ago and went to watch the Bills on a visit to my old haunts last year.

It's rather surprising to me that there are discussions about the NFL on here.  Not just the NFL, but the Jets and Bills of all teams.  :o  Well, I am a New York Giants fan.  I suppose I probably shouldn't post any videos commemorating the end of Super Bowl XXV.  xD

Hey!!! won't allow you to diss the Bills. It's definately against WAM rules. :fight: ;)

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Barbour81 said:

AFC East is obviously where it's at! :cool:

I don't know if there will be a season this year, but if there is, I would expect the Jets and Bills to be competitive in the AFC East. 

I don't expect the Giants to be competitive in the NFC East unless the Cowboys and Eagles have bad years again.  It's going to be tough for the Giants to adjust to new coaching with the lack of practice and prep time this year.  Maybe they'll be better than the Washington Team though.  I think that is their official name for now.  xD

The interesting thing about the Jets and Bills as far as the Giants go is that the Giants could have drafted Darnold and Allen, but didn't and went with Daniel Jones the next year.  I think the Giants made the right move, but it's still hard to say especially as far as Darnold vs. Jones goes. 

1 hour ago, Speedskater said:

Now with COVID being out of control in the USA, some players have opted out of playing the 2020 season.

They could play the season over here. :D

• Haha 1

NFL games to be shown on Channel 5  :D  :^

Unfortunately start at midnight  :(  

The NFL regular season officially started last night with the Chiefs beating the Texans.  I heard the US TV ratings were down significantly compared to previous NFL season openers.  I can't say I'm surprised.  Although the NFL is certainly the dominant sport in the US, they're currently competing against just about every major sporting league since all the schedules were thrown off due to the pandemic.  In addition, with the cancellation of preseason games, there's not much media hype going into the season.  Also, with people not working as much in offices, there is little office chatter to get people interested in sports.  On top of that, many people can't watch in bars/pubs and so that might be taking some interest away.

As for Klassik, with my Los Angeles Clippers looking to make a deep run in the NBA Playoffs, I'm certainly more focused on basketball right now than football.  I'm keeping an eye on my favorite NFL team though, the New York Giants.  I really have no idea what to expect from this NFL season with the lack of preparation time for the teams and the potential for virus-related issues.  I suspect that given the lack of practice time, teams with continuity and/or teams who are fundamentally sound will have an advantage even if they are not the most talented teams.  The Giants most certainly do not have continuity and they have a lot of young players which is usually a recipe for mistakes, but they do look to have a good coaching staff so maybe that'll help.

Hope the Giants do well for you Klassik.

My brother-in-law is an American living in Mill Valley San Francisco so, naturally, is a 49er fan. He wont be happy that the Cards put one over them in their opening game.

Arizona, the Vikings and the Tennessee Titans are my tips to do well at the odds (Ive backed all 3 preseason) so I was pleased to see Kyler Murray and their new signing Deandre Hopkins combining well. (Kyler Murray is going to make a name for himself this season, imo.)

Chiefs and the Ravens return with most of their firepower intact.

Can Dallas do the business with their starstudded offence? I thought their quarterback didnt get it done in crucial games so I'll be watching him closely. They are the sort of team, like the Ravens who could start the season at blistering pace and falter later.

Had skysports last season but not this...wondering what are my viewing options are...

Jack NSM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Non-Smoking Man said:

Hope the Giants do well for you Klassik.

With my Los Angeles Clippers choking their way out of the NBA Playoffs much earlier than expected, :doh:, I suppose I'll have to turn to the NFL a bit earlier than expected.  The Giants started out looking mostly as I expected them to against the Steelers, competitive but not yet winners.  The interception to cap off that long 19 play drive was the killer moment for them, and the running game was completely non-existent, but they did show some good signs as well.  They should have a better chance at winning this week against the Bears, but the offensive line will need to play better.  Bad offensive line play should be expected for all teams early in the season given the lack of preparation time.

Arizona, Tennessee, Minnesota, Baltimore, and KC should all be pretty good picks for the playoffs.  It seems like there are always 2 or 3 teams who make the playoffs which nobody expects and it also seems that there are usually 2 or 3 teams who get off to blistering starts to the season, but then fade and end up out of the playoffs.  I would expect that to be the same this year.

The Cowboys have a lot of talent on offense, but their new coach was a bit stubborn with his offensive play calling when he was in Green Bay.  If he keeps calling plays which need an Aaron Rodgers-like QB, he's going to struggle because Dak Prescott is not Aaron Rodgers.  The running game should be the strength of that offense.  A strong run game should open up the passing game for their talented receiver group, but will the Coach McCarthy commit to the run?  We'll see, but as a Giants fan living in Texas, I certainly hope the Cowboys are over-hyped as they usually are.  xD

As for the 49ers, the team which lost the Super Bowl the previous year often suffers from a bit of a hangover the next season and often ends up out of the playoffs.  The NFC West is a strong division with all four teams looking competitive so there won't be much margin for error. 

• Like 1