Artful Dodger

EAR 509 help required

I'm seeking some advice if you'd be so kind.....I have a pair of Esoteric Audio Research 509 that I'm looking to sell. They were part of an uncles estate and I know very little about them. Any advice on a guide price would be hugely appreciated 

https://imgur.com/a/6KDUmuh

The EAR 509 pair are still quite desirable and from the look of them they are probably a Mk 1. EAR themselves are able to service and repair anything they have ever built and their costs are very reasonable.

As to price it depends on working properly or not and physical condition and a far better set of pictures would be necessary including removing the cages. Pity about lockdown as any prospective buyer should examine and listen.

Your location would help........I am sure other Wammers will give opinions to help

• Like 1

Looks like theyve had some work done the phono socket is where the level pot should be is it not?

• Like 1

Tim is here :

t: +44 1480 210004
e: sales@earyoshino.com

He's an OK bloke in my book if a tad eccentric, and Im sure he would be the first to agree on that point :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

EAR are very good at servicing their old gear at very reasonable prices. I sent my 802 pre amp to them a few years ago and the service cost about £60 I think. It's from a similar era, if not older, to your power amps.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, g8ina said:

Tim is here :

t: +44 1480 210004
e: sales@earyoshino.com

He's an OK bloke in my book if a tad eccentric, and Im sure he would be the first to agree on that point :)

Pretty sure he's in Japan at the moment.

• Like 1

Hes also in the audio groups in Facebook, and has been posting recenrly, so can also put u in touch in there if you want

45 minutes ago, g8ina said:

Hes also in the audio groups in Facebook, and has been posting recenrly, so can also put u in touch in there if you want

Any particular audio groups on Facebook, g8ina??

• Like 1

About 6-12 months ago Kronos AV had a pair of mk1 509’s in polished /chrome, supposedly in excellent order for £2500. I enquired about them but came up against a fruitcake of a salesman who tried to sell me everything but the 509’s!(Believe this was because it was a sale on behalf of a customer!).

£2500 for mk1 509’s is way over the top, this would be the top end of the scale for mk2’s. Last I heard it was about £1500 to get EAR to upgrade mk1’s to mk2’s. 

Gizza is your man. Brian hasnt posted on here to my knowledge for some time but I have heard his system in Solihull and he swore by the EAR 509s he had driving a pair of modern day Quad electrostatics. That system benefitted from a pukka subwoofer system speciifically designed to go 'underneath' those Quads.

I suggest you try to pm him for advice and information.

Max Townsend, in the days when he was actively toting his equipment round for demo purposes (he didnt trust reviewers and journalists, at least in those Linn dominated times  in the hifi press) used the 509s to drive his 'concrete' Glastonburys - the ones with the Jordan 'full range' driver and his own ribbon tweeter. Never heard that system though.

The output valve is one not commonly used but they are relatively inexpensive.

Jack

• Like 1

In that condition, about 1500 is where I would place them. People like the chintzy chrome ones. 

• Like 1

The mark ones, which needed manual biassing as opposed to mk. 2 and Anniversaries which had LED biassing lights, came out in around 1990 (maybe '89?). I'd agree with above that, depending on condition, a pair of mk 1s should fetch £1500 at least.

• Like 1

On 24/04/2020 at 21:56, Artful Dodger said:

Any particular audio groups on Facebook, g8ina??

Audioshite! https://www.facebook.com/groups/300239996801233/

and Audiophiles UK. Hi-Fi and Music. :  https://www.facebook.com/groups/729849353785793/

Posting in both as Tim De Paravicini.

• Like 1