Krescendo might be able to help you

Moving beyond the main concern with this horrible virus I thought it might be interesting for folks to hear about how the world of buying/selling HiFi is at the moment. I also want to make a pitch for equipment but will come to that later.

Our business started over 10 years ago in 2008 just as the world's finances were falling apart. It was a strange time but buying and selling used Linn and Naim HiFi seemed to weather the storm. As we are all probably aware the HiFi we love is really an older person's hobby. I could count on the fingers of one hand the number of customers that are less than 30. In general this also tends to mean the customers are fairly well settled financially and are less effected by financial ups and downs of the world. That is, they keep upgrading providing a business for the remaining HiFi dealers. When the business started we had not quite appreciated this but it has proven over the years to mean that for the dealers that are left it is a steady business to be in. Although if I had just graduated then I would not be keen to move into this business as in 20 years time I think that things are going to be much leaner.

In the current climate mail order is booming. Anything designed to keep people amused at home is selling out - big Lego sets, board games, garden games - and second hand HiFi is also in that world. Our sales have been strong but purchases very slow to non-existant. We are normally offered equipment almost daily but that has pretty much stopped. We suspect it is a combination of people keeping their HiFi to keep them amused, not being able to visit their local bricks and mortar dealer to audition upgrades and simply not expecting anyone to be able to come and collect the system they want to sell. As we have not been on extended road trips collecting kit we have had time to go through our warehouse sorting out the equipment that is not working fully for whatever reason. So my Electronic Engineering degree is being more utilised but also the equipment that is awkward to repair, e.g. anything with a laser or spectacularly failed switch mode power supply (i.e. smokin!!) we are offering as spares or repair on ebay. And who would have thought that the latter is selling like hot cakes. When you step back and think for a moment it makes sense. There are a lot of engineers that have been furloughed. They have the skills, kit and time on their hands to work on this kit and get it working to sell on or repair for their own use. In ONE DAY we sold 5 Kariks, 4 Numeriks, 2 Unidisks and a tonne of LP12 parts. Our warehouse it also looking a lot smarter and emptier as a result.

We have also been making calls to our friends in the official Linn dealer network. There main business has basically stopped. They are also going through their warehouses and advertising all the trade-in kit they have a lot of their profits tied up in. Some are also selling dem stock to keep the wolves away.

We are in a better position than most as our overheads are near zero running the business as we do from our home and were fortunate to have moved our warehouse onto our own property last year. We also have excellent couriers we know very well. Our daughter has even taken over the dem room for her home online schooling which is working brilliantly as we move to the end of week one. A solid network infrastructure and excellent sound insulation helps this a lot. She actually prefers it!! She is 15 though so completely capable of managing her time and is very focussed on her work. How parents with multiple small children are coping is hard to think.

One tip for all you hoarders out there. Dust off that pre-recorded tape collection. We had a lot of tapes that we had not played for years. My wife went through them and has started advertising them. TWO Kraftwerk tapes sold for £20 witihin 30 minutes of advertsing them. We have sold a lot more since all over Europe. Who knew there is a Belinda Carlisle tape fan in Ireland. There is money in those old tapes and the other upside is that my wife is eating her words after moaning about all those 'worthless' tapes. I then thought, what about our CDs? After touting Tidal i thought why are we keeping all those CDs, we can easily delete the ripped copies and sell the physical CD. Sadly a quick review on ebay indiciates that they don't have anything like the value of tapes. They will stay in the loft simply on the basis that it is no effort to leave them there.

So now to the pitch - we are low on stock. We are looking to buy your spare HiFi gear. We can arrange collection from you by courier (only inside the EU to be realistic). We can even send you excellent shipping boxes/internal packing if your boxes have rotted in the garage. So if you have kit lying around then let us know and we may well be able to work out a deal. We have been doing this for a long time so our prices will be fair and our service efficient.

CJ

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Sadly all my unused stuff is now all gone. Might have a four-year-old Cirkus kit available once lockdown is lifted and I can get over to see Colin to get Karousel fitted though, if that’s of interest.

Mick

Mick,

Anything is of interest. Just drop me an e-mail or pm here when you know where you stand. When I was speaking to Colin he had a possible plan in the works for LP12s - worth giving him a call to discuss.

CJ

I had two M6100 amps and a 1.5 meter length of k600 poster on a Canadian trading site for 3 month. Within the last 2 weeks , all gone and at good ( for me ) pricing.  There is definitely an uptick on the used market. The downside is that shipping costs are up and overseas shipping options have dried up. 

Thanks for all the offers. As of this point I have contacted all of you back.

CJ

Thanks Richard for sharing your story and the challenges with retail HiFi in these difficult times.

I wish you great success in your business

I have a pair of cherry 212’s for sale that will probably find a home in Taiwan, but shipping costs are extremely high. 

I have just sold my spin bike this past week to help fund my new Akudoriks, and discovered that any exercise equipment that you have around the house can bring in big money. I actually had several people ready to come over immediately, with cash in hand to buy the spin bike , site unseen. I wish I had 10 of them to sell.

Perhaps check out your garage and neighbours garages for unused weights and exercise equipment, as the profit margin is very high. 

I can see the sign now” Krescendo HiFi and Exercise Equipment.

• Haha 2

CJ, It's time to open your North American store.

Used to work for Citibank and fly to New York all the time. Not a place I would want to go back to at the moment although the most spectacular city I have ever visited (and was in Time Square for 31/12/99. Wherever I might be driving to collect kit could get really tiring. I am also thinking that Donald will not be giving me a green card.

CJ

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is contemplating taking CJ up on his offer, I can testify to the great service he provides.
I received a fair price for my ADS and it's completely hassle free, he even arranged the delivery.

Thanks for helping me to fund my new LP12 purchase CJ.

3 hours ago, LinnJim said:

If anyone is contemplating taking CJ up on his offer, I can testify to the great service he provides.
I received a fair price for my ADS and it's completely hassle free, he even arranged the delivery.

Thanks for helping me to fund my new LP12 purchase CJ.

Plus one from me! I can testify to the quality of service from Richard having dealt with him on several occasions in the past and am likely to again in the future.

Dave

Edited by entdgc

Thank you. :^

CJ

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all those that contacted us. We are still looking for stock so now would be a good time to drop us a line for the best prices we can offer.

CJ

1 hour ago, CJ1045 said:

Thanks to all those that contacted us. We are still looking for stock so now would be a good time to drop us a line for the best prices we can offer.

CJ

Have sent you a PM.