Recommended Posts

A while back we had a post about HDMI cables and a lot of you thought that it did not mater if you brought a cheap HDMI cable as they all did the same thing as a expensive HDMI cable but i said it was important to buy the right HDMI cable so if you want the full bandwidth to get the correct information to your TV screen so choosing the correct HDMI cable is important and here is the science and proof in what i was talking about back then if you got the time to watch the video .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Just wandered into this forum as I've pulled the pin on a new telly (being delivered tomorrow). Consequently this info is very relevant right now. As I am led to believe, the latest specification for HDMI (2.1) not only gives support for the increased bandwidth that 8K video will need (good grief, we can barely get a decent 4K selection yet!) but also supports higher frame rate for 4K as well as additional functionality such as eARC (to allow the object-based HD formats to be sent upstream) and Variable Refresh Rate for gaming. However, confusingly I believe that no HDMI cables have yet been ratified to the 2.1 standard, even though many are capable of exceeding the necessary performance and will happily work. Further, some of those additional features can be supported on the 2.0 standard, although it's not guaranteed.

Is it any wonder that there is widespread confusion amongst most consumers? I have an interest, and yet I'm struggling to make sense of it all. Plus there's various installation configurations to consider and so many audio formats it's ridiculous (together with the possibility that device A might not support format B or might only support it in some circumstances), it's a minefield! All of a sudden selecting an RCA interconnect seems like child's play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

We actually put our next TV purchase on hold again until the industry gets its act together; been waiting three years so far! Still using a 2008 model Loewe TV!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One wonders if 8k will actually be a thing out in the wild as the only 8k source I have seen broadcast was a football match, and that was only one 8k camera and the rest being 4k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DomT said:

We actually put our next TV purchase on hold again until the industry gets its act together; been waiting three years so far! Still using a 2008 model Loewe TV!

You run the risk of never getting anything better with that strategy... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, moo-fi said:

One wonders if 8k will actually be a thing out in the wild as the only 8k source I have seen broadcast was a football match, and that was only one 8k camera and the rest being 4k.

I'm not convinced 4k is worth it for most, let alone 8k!

My TV is pretty good but not because it supports 4k.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
10 hours ago, MartinC said:

You run the risk of never getting anything better with that strategy... 

And like you I am very happy with my current TV so no great loss and the money can go towards lovely Portuguese wine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
Just now, MartinC said:

And yet you were thinking of replacing it ;).

Only if there is something measurably better but actually we spend more time watching sunsets than watching telly. Maybe when the winter closes in we can check the latest TV marketing BS 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DomT said:

Only if there is something measurably better

Are you feeling OK? :D

(A good modern TV will be measurably better than what you currently have.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
39 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Are you feeling OK? :D

(A good modern TV will be measurably better than what you currently have.)

We bought a modern Sony TV a couple of years ago but think that the Loewe has a better picture so the Sony is in the loft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, DomT said:

We bought a modern Sony TV a couple of years ago but think that the Loewe has a better picture so the Sony is in the loft. 

I very carefully said a good modern TV :). I'll bet any OLED would be a step up on what you currently have for example, even if it's a plasma.

I've owned three flat screen TVs. A Samsung LED bought in around 2010 that in hindsight wasn't very good, both in overall picture/colour quality and particularly that it couldn't properly handle Blu-ray frame rates. I replaced this with what I consider my first decent TV: a Sony 55W829 (now sitting as an unused spare). This was the first TV I managed to set up to give decent picture quality (I hate the oversaturated default presets so many people use!) and it played Blu-ray's well. I now have an LG 65OLEDC9 that is a clear step up in picture quality over the Sony, most notably in colour reproduction and dark scene reproduction especially when viewing in a dark room. Oh, and it's bigger :).

Edited by MartinC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Martin the OLEDs are good but in Portugal we have static logos and publicity on the screen and so burn in is a real danger. We also have a very bright room due to being in Southern Europe so the OLEDs are not so great for this. The other challenge is that as the OP says HDMI and other things need to settle down a little and that we currently only have space for a 40” TV (in alcove) and currently these smaller TBs are deliberately downgraded by the manufactures. There are some 50” high end TVs that will launch here this year but 50” is still a bit big. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DomT said:

Martin the OLEDs are good but in Portugal we have static logos and publicity on the screen and so burn in is a real danger. We also have a very bright room due to being in Southern Europe so the OLEDs are not so great for this. The other challenge is that as the OP says HDMI and other things need to settle down a little and that we currently only have space for a 40” TV (in alcove) and currently these smaller TBs are deliberately downgraded by the manufactures. There are some 50” high end TVs that will launch here this year but 50” is still a bit big. 

I didn't realise you lived in Portugal: your profile says you're in London :).

OLEDs are better with burn-in now, and mine at least has options to auto-dim fixed logos to help. They're not for everyone though, or cheap.

Is your current TV LED or plasma? If LED I'd be surprised if a top modem LED TV didn't outperform what you have. Many prefer LEDs over OLEDs for brightness reasons anyway. 

I do understand your concern about connections.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8k is pointless, you only have to look at the current Samsung 8k offerings compared to the price to see they're actually worse value wise to the 4k TVs.

I'm still using a 15 year old Samsung HD ready plasma TV, the picture is great for the TV viewing I do, which is SD or 720p (Freesat).

What are today's big 4k TVs like when watching standard terrestrial telly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.