hifinutt

No going back ..extinction rebellion

Today is No going back day for extinction rebellion , they feel they should . they are in action right now [ from their FB group] 

On the 30th of April you and your friends or local group members should go separately to your identified targets using your allowance of **daily exercise** and paste the poster across the doors of the businesses. Please paste it in a way that the doors of the business cannot be opened without tearing the poster.

Starting **Thursday, 30th April**, we make clear that we will not tolerate any return to a system that was needlessly destroying the planet and failing to recognise the value of all.

We will begin by flyposting a clear message to the Government on the doors of the most environmentally ruinous and exploitative industries in our society. A full Action Guide is available here:

I am sure there are many viewpoints on this and you will hear a lot more by the end of the day 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Like the posters I am torn right down the middle .

I have a great deal of sympathy for the aims of extinction rebellion but not with many of their methods although the poster campaign I can agree with .

My biggest disappointment with the group is their blinkered concentration on CO2 emissions when there are far more immediate problems to tackle .

They also seem to almost totally ignore the massive benefits of a hydrogen based society that would cure all environmental problems apart from human overpopulation .

With the lovely clean air and lack of background noise during this lockdown we will all mourn these luxuries if we return to the pre covid 19 way .

If we push for a hydrogen based society we can have these wonderful benefits permanently ! 

I have been banging on about this subject for more than thirty years .:)

https://aim2flourish.com/innovations/creating-a-hydrogen-based-society-and-its-impact-on-global-warming-and-peace

https://www.toyota-europe.com/hydrogen/hydrogen-society

https://secure.energyandcapital.com/148953?device=t&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjrm-v4SQ6QIVPYBQBh2UEQ5QEAMYASAAEgLmbvD_BwE

Edited by Electro
Added a bit

On 30/04/2020 at 12:43, Electro said:

Like the posters I am torn right down the middle .

I have a great deal of sympathy for the aims of extinction rebellion but not with many of their methods although the poster campaign I can agree with .

My biggest disappointment with the group is their blinkered concentration on CO2 emissions when there are far more immediate problems to tackle .

They also seem to almost totally ignore the massive benefits of a hydrogen based society that would cure all environmental problems apart from human overpopulation .

With the lovely clean air and lack of background noise during this lockdown we will all mourn these luxuries if we return to the pre covid 19 way .

If we push for a hydrogen based society we can have these wonderful benefits permanently ! 

I have been banging on about this subject for more than thirty years .:)

https://aim2flourish.com/innovations/creating-a-hydrogen-based-society-and-its-impact-on-global-warming-and-peace

https://www.toyota-europe.com/hydrogen/hydrogen-society

https://secure.energyandcapital.com/148953?device=t&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjrm-v4SQ6QIVPYBQBh2UEQ5QEAMYASAAEgLmbvD_BwE

Do you have a solution for it making metals brittle, worryingly pipe work?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ff1d1l said:

Do you have a solution for it making metals brittle, worryingly pipe work?

We have not used metal for gas piping for many years and even if they were still some left metallic embrittlement is not a problem unless the pipe work or gas is in excess of 150 degrees centigrade even then it is minimal and almost irrelevant .

Also the coal gas or town gas that used to be pumped through metal ( cast Iron ) pipe work before North Sea gas was brought on line was composed of at least 50% Hydrogen and there were no problems at all with embrittlement.

For high pressure storage carbon fibre composite is used to make tanks that is completely safe and almost indestructible in normal use .

This is what happens when you shoot a full composite construction car hydrogen tank with a .50 cal rifle from point blank range .

A bit underwhelming isn't it !

All the hydrogen is gone in a few seconds straight up into the atmosphere at great speed with no explosion and no lingering risk of ignition !

Edited by Electro

Super Wammer

The lockdown has seen the clamour for single-use plastics to save lives, and which doubtless have to be incinerated or buried in landfill.  And the reviled private car is presumably far safer as a form of transport than tube or bus or plane.

Even living in the beautiful Brecon Beacons National Park, I’m sure the skies have never been brighter or the stars clearer.  This experience will surely cause us all to see priorities differently, but I’ve no idea what the ‘new normal’ will look like. 

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

The lockdown has seen the clamour for single-use plastics to save lives, and which doubtless have to be incinerated or buried in landfill.  And the reviled private car is presumably far safer as a form of transport than tube or bus or plane.

Even living in the beautiful Brecon Beacons National Park, I’m sure the skies have never been brighter or the stars clearer.  This experience will surely cause us all to see priorities differently, but I’ve no idea what the ‘new normal’ will look like. 

Everybody here already knows that I am a little " strange " but I am going to miss the lockdown after it's over apart from the stupid government  decision to not let me go fishing :(.

I love the clean air and the QUIET , there is no horrible continuous droning noise 24/7 it's wonderful !

I love the way my kids fuss over me and make sure that I am ok and laugh at my terrible jokes , in many ways family life has never been better! 

I really hope we don't just fall back into the old ways after this but instead we take more care of ourselves and appreciate what is really important in life rather that just earning and spending money to buy unnecessary goods to feed our brainwashed  consumerized minds .

Edited by Electro
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Electro said:

there is no horrible continuous droning noise 24/7 it's wonderful !

Still plenty of horrible droning noise here in the forum though...:whistle:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

Still plenty of horrible droning noise here in the forum though...:whistle:

Some people hear droning, others sensible informed opinion .;) 9_9

10 minutes ago, Electro said:

Everybody here already knows that I am a little " strange " but I am going to miss the lockdown after it's over apart from the stupid government  decision to not let me go fishing :(.

I love the clean air and the QUIET , there is no horrible continuous droning noise 24/7 it's wonderful !

I love the way my kids fuss over me and make sure that I am ok and laugh at my terrible jokes , in many ways family life has never been better! 

I really hope we don't just fall back into the old ways after this but instead we take more care of ourselves and appreciate what is really important in life rather that just earning and spending money to buy unnecessary goods to feed our brainwashed  consumerized minds .

On the fishing bit, myself and eldest run a small fishing syndicate, it is about 1.5 miles down are farm track, the nearest public access is a public footpath, across a small stream, probably 800 yards away. The fishing swims or pegs, whatever you want to call them are at worst 40 yards apart. Trying to get some of members to accept it has to be closed at the moment is hard work. It has got harder with the you can drive for excercise bit, as long as the walk is longer than the drive. We have had all the members turn up to have a walk round, and do some fish spotting at some point. How many at the same time is anybodies guess.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Electro said:

Some people hear droning, others sensible informed opinion .;) 9_9

Sorry...I'm hearing this horrible droning noise...:rofl:

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

Sorry...I'm hearing this horrible droning noise...:rofl:

Do you suffer from mild tinnitus by any chance ? 

I know many people here do and it might explain your inexplicable  discomfort. :geek:

Nope, just droning...

• Upvote 1

Extinction Rebellion is full of nasty Communists if you look a little bit below the surface. The environmental concern bit is mostly about getting the foot in the door.

• Like 2

The most effective environmental action group will be those  scientists that can find ways of replacing fossil fuels in the scale required to avoid economic collapse.

Nothing significant will happen until then.

Being told what to do by rich celebrities who fly around in private jets is about to become a lot less palatable.

1 hour ago, dudywoxer said:

On the fishing bit, myself and eldest run a small fishing syndicate, it is about 1.5 miles down are farm track, the nearest public access is a public footpath, across a small stream, probably 800 yards away. The fishing swims or pegs, whatever you want to call them are at worst 40 yards apart. Trying to get some of members to accept it has to be closed at the moment is hard work. It has got harder with the you can drive for excercise bit, as long as the walk is longer than the drive. We have had all the members turn up to have a walk round, and do some fish spotting at some point. How many at the same time is anybodies guess.

I belong to two fishing clubs one right on my doorstep 'MHABAS ' in Ockendon that has two lakes within a mile of my house the other is an angling society 'CSAS ' that has stretches of the Thames , the Kennet and other rivers plus a few lakes . Both are closed until further notice  and members caught fishing are dismissed immediately.

As you say it is quite usual for me to see no one when fishing sometimes for days ! 

This piece from the Anglers mail gives some hope ! 

https://www.anglersmail.co.uk/news/when-will-fishing-be-allowed-again-85748

The health benefits of fishing are well documented!