Pete the Feet

Car and other Insurance

I've just been shopping around for car insurance. I had a change of vehicle last November and just made an adjustment to the existing insurance as it was the cheapest alternative. Come the annual premium which is due this week I was quoted £540. As I usually shop around I wasn't surprised that other quotes were around the same mark with many around £600 + . This seems to have been the case for the past 2-3 years. I left it until quite near the renewal date which is now less than a week away and found that the prices have dropped to around £420 - £520. I have played around with reducing the mileage due to the current restrictions and with an optimistic 10,000 miles I reduced it to around £400. Go Compare is my usual first port of call on price comparison sites but I also tried others such as Confused and Money Supermarket. The latter gave me a £60 - £70 difference on the same policy as Go Compare on with the same insurer and same conditions. Go Compare have a £250 excess money back guarantee but you pay for this in the long run. I ended up paying £330 with Saga (10,000 miles) and its the first time they have come anywhere near a reasonable quote. It really does pay to shop around. Oh by the way I've reached the age where I now benefit with Saga so I am now expecting to be inundated with adverts and mailshots for funeral plans and stairlifts.

When did you first look for quotes out of interest? The following suggests 3 weeks before is optimal and so is what I try to do but interesting you appear to have done better a week before.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/12/car-insurance-optimum-time-to-buy/

Now is a good time to swap energy suppliers by the way, since current prices are lower than they've been for a few years.

I think with the current climate and lockdown they have adjusted for a lower risk.
Interesting point regarding energy. I just switched about 6 weeks ago. It maybe worth the penalty of switching again. I shall check this out.
House insurance may alter due to the lockdown and people staying in. Accidental damage may increase but burglary should decline.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Pete the Feet said:

I think with the current climate and lockdown they have adjusted for a lower risk.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

I went to my Local insurance broker..above a estate agents..much cheaper than the Internet! 

Super Wammer

I’ve also found Saga very good for car insurance earlier this year.  I was covered by them in 2012 when my nine day old car was written off, so I’d assumed I’d been blacklisted for life, even though I wasn’t at fault. 

I also find the moneysavingexpert website great for tips and on how to trawl through the different comparison sites. 

I recenty changed my car to a Nissan Leaf just prior to my insurance renewal 

Had a fully comp quote of £520 :o

Did the normal internet insurance searches and was quite shocked when some quotes were over £1000 :shock:

The insurance company I renewed with is Go Skippy 

1 hour ago, awkwardbydesign said:

I have an imported Nissan Elgrand MPV, which was always tricky, but discovered that Tesco had started covering them last year.  Quite cheaply.  Comparison sites were never much use, as they only cover simple cases.  Have you tried Tesco?

If you do try Tesco's remember 6 foot social distancing :D

spent many hours looking for car insurance for a young person not too long ago , 24 years first time driver . got one of these policies with a black box and paid ££££ . then after 3 weeks and various warning texts we cancelled it and got penalised !! then had to spend 2 days on many sites finding another policy . so ended up costing 4300 pounds for a ra wort about 900 quid . Insurance is a PITB 

Super Wammer

Just renewed mine through AXA

Went up £2 from last year..

Might have got it 10 quid cheaper on a comparison site but it's a lot of hassle ..

Fully comp with 2 named drivers

Less than £300

Adrian Flux, mine went down by £15 to £565.  1 named driver. 

Didnt bother with a comparison site