CDs not playing.

mj446

Hi all, keeping safe I hope, a quick question for those in the know, during these troublesome time the cd collection has been getting a good airing, some stuff from a while ago, I have a couple of the cds that will not play on the house unit, ok in either car, genuine discs not copies, any ideas. Ta.

They may be damaged .. can you see any flaking of the aluminium layer or is the read surface dirty / scratched. You could try polishing the CD read surface with Brasso or something similar. If they remain unplayable, perhaps someone with the same CD could provide you with a ripped backup copy.

Super Wammer

I had this issue with my Roksan Attessa DP2.  If the laser doesn't find the index track it will nor play the disc.  Occasionally a good clean of the cd with a spectacle cleaning wipe can help.

Some CD players will tolerate discs that others won’t. They will apply more error correction, where as others will just reject it.

On the down side, alternatively it may be a sign that the player is not reading the discs TOC & so maybe the player is getting a bit leggy.

Well that’s my ( limited) understanding, anyway.

• Like 1

Yep, give the disc a polish. A surprising amount of mucky tarnish can build up over time. 

Edited by JANDL100

The laser may have a film built up over time.  I recall a product - a CD with a tiny brush on it - that was said to be able to clean the laser mechanism.  If that does not work try massaging a little lavender oil round the feet.  

Super Wammer
6 hours ago, Andrei said:

The laser may have a film built up over time.  I recall a product - a CD with a tiny brush on it - that was said to be able to clean the laser mechanism.  If that does not work try massaging a little lavender oil round the feet.  

But Lavender oil does smell very nice .

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, MartinC said:

A CD lens cleaner disc with a little brush on it is what I'd be trying. They're cheap. 

Yes, I was thinking I’d try the same.  Allsop make them, amongst others. 

They do tend to be next to useless though.

Much better to take the top of and clean the lenz with a cleaning swab on a stick ie Q-Tip and cleaning fluid.

Sometimes it can be done with the CD draw open without taking the lid of, i find it easier with thd lid off so i can actually see the lenz and see its clean,

1 hour ago, Paul-H said:

They do tend to be next to useless though.

Much better to take the top of and clean the lenz with a cleaning swab on a stick ie Q-Tip and cleaning fluid.

Sometimes it can be done with the CD draw open without taking the lid of, i find it easier with thd lid off so i can actually see the lenz and see its clean,

I have actually got a player working with a brush CD before but agree if someone is happy to that careful direct cleaning is likely to be helpful more often.

Edited by MartinC
  • Like 1