Mikeandvan

Sister scammed out of life savings.

Posted (edited)

My sister has been ripped off to the tune of £45,000 by this so called cryptocurrency trading platform, her life savings. The stress has caused her to have an epileptic fit, something she was free of for many years, resulting in the loss of her driving licence for one year which will make getting to her job an arduous task using public transport. There appears to be no way of getting her money back.  I am so angry, but completely impotent to do anything about this.

Website was i-coin dot io

Edited by Tony_J
Direct link to potential scam site removed for obvious reasons
  • Sad 4

How did it happen, was it criminal fraud?

I've been getting loads of pop ups for them lately; often endorsed by celebrities who have no idea that their image is being abused.

They work hard to appear plausible and the cash has usually left our jurisdiction long before a crime is identified.

Public education has to be improved.

The Indian Ocean domain name immediately throws up a warning light for me!

• Upvote 2

Super Wammer

registered in the Commonwealth of Dominica, one of the worst 'tax havens' 

this is terrible, I really feel for your sister

Super Wammer

A female friend of mine fell for a very similar scam, to the tune of £30000. Unfortunately people get taken in by the supposedly, wonderful returns on offer. Like your sister this was her life savings, and also she found no recourse to get her money back. 

Knowing what my friend went through , your sister has my sympathy.

Sorry to hear that, I guess there are times when being a cynical sod is really helpful. We need more public awareness and education about how to identify the various internet domain names, and phishing e-mail type scams. There are thousands of them happening every day. No way to get any money back. Spent a few hours with Dad a while back going through the e-mails he had saved, as he was not sure what the hell they where. 

The website is very unprofessional, and my sister was only able to be taken in because she has suffered from epilepsy all her life, even though she is a computer programmer it has left her socially naïve. I can't believe these scammers are allowed to operate and obviously prey on the vulnerable, as I said the website looks unprofessional to me. 

37 minutes ago, timmytiger said:

I've been getting loads of pop ups for them lately; often endorsed by celebrities who have no idea that their image is being abused.

They work hard to appear plausible and the cash has usually left our jurisdiction long before a crime is identified.

Public education has to be improved.

The Indian Ocean domain name immediately throws up a warning light for me!

Really? I can't believe the website hasn't been shut down yet. Wonder who I contact to try to get that done.

3 hours ago, JD68 said:

How did it happen, was it criminal fraud?

It is a cryptocurrency trading platform - apparently - there is a disclaimer at the bottom of the website which states clearly 'you may lose all your money'. As I said my sister is vulnerable, most people would not be taken in by this. I was angry at her first, but now she's had a fit and lost her driving licence, I just can't believe this scum are allowed to get away with this.

Super Wammer
10 minutes ago, Mikeandvan said:

Really? I can't believe the website hasn't been shut down yet. Wonder who I contact to try to get that done.

would be very hard I'd as what they are doing is probably not illegal, they are in a very secretive place, and they are not impersonating a legit site (e.g. a global bank etc)

12 hours ago, Mikeandvan said:

My sister has been ripped off to the tune of £45,000 by this so called cryptocurrency trading platform, her life savings. The stress has caused her to have an epileptic fit, something she was free of for many years, resulting in the loss of her driving licence for one year which will make getting to her job an arduous task using public transport. There appears to be no way of getting her money back.  I am so angry, but completely impotent to do anything about this.

Website was i-coin dot io

Oh cripes Michael, you have my sympathy.  I really wish your sister had taken the step of consulting with you first.  There is a social epidemic of people being afraid to ask for help.  She was duped and that is bad enough (if I may be permitted to understate the case) but why could she not get the opinion of family and friends?  I hope you don't take what say the wrong way, but it is the lawyer in me speaking - something to do with Cliff the ambulance driver and fencing at a top level.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

some useful advice on here inc trying to get funds back    https://www.personal-reviews.com/2020/03/i-coin-review-i-coin-io-is-a-scam/

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Sorry for your sister but you would think with all the publicity these scams get when they people lose their life savings, why oh why do people who on the face of it are probably quite intelligent still fall for them.

What is it about making money that makes educated people fall for the most at times obvious scams.

Rule 1 if it looks to good to be true it probably is

Rule 2 if you are contacted out off the blue by someone offering high returns on your investment, rule 1 applies.

Again sorry your sister lost everything, but it has to be said so I might as well say the obvious WHAT WAS SHE THINKING?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Paul-H said:

Sorry for your sister but you would think with all the publicity these scams get when they people lose their life savings, why oh why do people who on the face of it are probably quite intelligent still fall for them.

What is it about making money that makes educated people fall for the most at times obvious scams.

Rule 1 if it looks to good to be true it probably is

Rule 2 if you are contacted out off the blue by someone offering high returns on your investment, rule 1 applies.

Again sorry your sister lost everything, but it has to be said so I might as well say the obvious WHAT WAS SHE THINKING?

I completely agree, and that's why when I phoned her to speak about it I shouted at her, I was really angry. She was scammed a few years ago too, fucking clueless, I almost can't be arsed to help her. But that's how a lot of these scams work, the scammers have no respect for those they scam because they think they're stupid, but my sister is a computer programmer, for the council, she has an amazing memory, but not so good socially, naïve. There we go, these scumbags prey on the vulnerable, I mean, one look at their website would make most people aware they are cowboy outfit. I'm actually amazed at how easy it is for these guys, they must be stinking rich, from these scams, its disgusting. Muggings and burglary are treated much more seriously, admittedly violence is deeply unpleasant, but surely some importance should be placed on the amount being scammed? What burglary would net £45,000? More like £450! And the thing is I'm not even sure this thing is illegal!