T.v audion from DSM

Hello

I'm not really a t.v person but have just received an ADSM and was hoping to get my tv audio to play through my speakers.

It isn't clear in the manual on how to do this. Do I use hdmi or spdif? 

I have an amazon fire box too which is plugged into my tv via hdmi.

I thought that the fire box would need to go to hdmi-in 1 and the ARM hdmi port on the tv would be to hdmi-out on the dsm. In this configuration I'm not getting sound from the tv at all.

Any tips would be great. Thanks

Super Wammer

Is there an "HDMI out" on the TV? I don't have a TV so I'm not up on the latest. I kind of think not. You need to get digital sound out of the TV. Perhaps SPDIF out from the TV into the DSM.

I just googled it. Looks like there is an HDMI out from the TV. I would still try using SPDIF out of the TV into the DSM.

The Fire Box would connect to HDMI in on the DSM, and then HDMI out on the DSM to HDMI in on the TV. This should pass the video through the DSM to the TV. Me thinks.

Edited by akamatsu

I have my cable box, Apple TV and fire stick all connected to the tv and use a digital out (optical) from the tv to my dsm. That way all sound from the TV comes out thru the same input on the dsm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, akamatsu said:

I just googled it. Looks like there is an HDMI out from the TV. I would still try using SPDIF out of the TV into the DSM

Your google skills are much better than mine.

5 hours ago, zee9 said:

I have my cable box, Apple TV and fire stick all connected to the tv and use a digital out (optical) from the tv to my dsm. That way all sound from the TV comes out thru the same input on the dsm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That seems like the logical way for me too.

So all the HDMI ports on the DSM are for is to facilitate a surround system? 

Thanks

Run an HDMI cable between the ARC out enabled HDMI port on the TV (probably labelled or in the manual) and the HDMI out on the ADSM.

To listen chose HDMI ARC As the source

No sound - check the TV menu for an option to change the sound format on the ARC output.

1 hour ago, LinnJim said:

Your google skills are much better than mine.

That seems like the logical way for me too.

So all the HDMI ports on the DSM are for is to facilitate a surround system? 

Thanks

For years I have been using the HDMI IN's of my Majik DSM for connection with Apple TV, Kabel TV Box, Amazon Fire TV and the HDMI OUT for connecting my projector (in Germany we call it "Beamer") . If you want to hear the TV sound you obviously have to connect a TV out with one of the DSM inputs.

Jens

18 minutes ago, 36 hours said:

Run an HDMI cable between the ARC out enabled HDMI port on the TV (probably labelled or in the manual) and the HDMI out on the ADSM.

To listen chose HDMI ARC As the source

No sound - check the TV menu for an option to change the sound format on the ARC output.

10 points for a correct answer!

Strange though, I tried this last night with no joy but it worked this morning.

Thanks 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, JensA said:

my projector (in Germany we call it "Beamer") .

In (colloquial) English  a "Beamer" is a BMW car. Exchange, they say, is no robbery ...

David

2 hours ago, DavidHB said:

In (colloquial) English  a "Beamer" is a BMW car. Exchange, they say, is no robbery ...

David

David,

I learned this ("Beamer" = BMW) the hard way on the old Linn Forum :D.

If you ask native Germans 99.9% of them will insist that "beamer" is the english translation of the german "Projektor" and "handy" is the english translation of a "Mobiltelefon".

• Haha 2

I  am having real trouble getting tv sound out of ADSM, if I plug my plusnet box into my HDMI in and the the HDMI out to the HDMI arc on the TV I can listen to live TV out the ADSM.  However we only watch catchup tv witch is fed by a ethernet cable direct to TV.  How do I get sound in this instance?  You don't seem to be able to select any of the HDMI inputs either way (and the optical out on my tv is bust).  o.O

Correction - my ethernet cable goes direct into my Plusnet box not my tv which makes me even more confused as to why we can hear live TV but not streamed.....

Is the Plusnet Box plugged into a HDMI input on your tv? It should be...

Edited by Tendaberry

@LinnJim My setup is simple and works well for TV audio. I do not use any surround format.

1. All video sources to HDMI inputs on LG OLED E7 
  2. Optical output from LG to optical input on Linn Selekt DSM

Works and is simple. I had looked at using HDMI ARC in one of the itertions of the system but felt this work best as my setup is 2 channel.

On 07/05/2020 at 18:50, JWT said:

I  am having real trouble getting tv sound out of ADSM, if I plug my plusnet box into my HDMI in and the the HDMI out to the HDMI arc on the TV I can listen to live TV out the ADSM.  However we only watch catchup tv witch is fed by a ethernet cable direct to TV.  How do I get sound in this instance?  You don't seem to be able to select any of the HDMI inputs either way (and the optical out on my tv is bust).  o.O

My fix was: All sources into HDMI in on the tv, HDMI ARC on tv to HDMI out on the DSM.