rdale

Stack Audio Link Software Problems

Super Wammer

My Stack Audio Link arrived today and the hardware is a lovely piece of kit, really solid build that makes my Allo USB Signature, that I've been using, seem very utilitarian.

I've got it working and it is playing music from my NAS. There are quite a few software problems with Volumio though.

* I set up my Qobuz login and it logs in, but nothing appears in the Browse Qobuz page. I can't use it to send Qobuz tracks via UPnP on my iPad with the mconnectHD app that worked perfectly with MoOde on the All Signature. An error message flashes up quickly about curl not being able to find a URL.

* I enabled ssh logins via the volumio DEV page but username 'volumio', password 'volumio' don't work. The makes it very difficult to debug problems with the system. I also rely on being able to login to the system to transfer my playlists to the /var/lib/mpd/playlists directory, or wherever Volumio puts the playlists.

* The software was last updated a year ago, on May 6th 2019 which is really worrying when there are major problems like Qobuz not working. The 'Check Updates' button never returns whether or not there is a current update.

* The Volumio UI has crashed once or twice.

* I tried put a bootable SD card in both the USB ports with MoOde on it, hoping I could get it to boot with another OS so I could have a look at the Volumio file system, but it didn't boot from them.

* I have a file called 'folder.jpg' in each album folder in my NAS which is pretty standard with MPD, but Volumio isn't finding them in the web UI. There doesn't seem to be any way of finding out what path to configure the album art path for MPD apps on my iPad such as Rigelian an MPaD.

* Rigelian automatically finds MoOde players running via zeroconf I assume, and it knows all the stuff such as where to find the album art. But I have to enter the Volumio IP address manually.

I'll mail Stack about these issues, but I thought I'd ask here about whether other Link users are having similar problems, or whether it's just me missing some set details or how to get the latest software version.

Super Wammer
4 hours ago, rdale said:

My Stack Audio Link arrived today and the hardware is a lovely piece of kit, really solid build that makes my Allo USB Signature, that I've been using, seem very utilitarian.

I've got it working and it is playing music from my NAS. There are quite a few software problems with Volumio though.

* I set up my Qobuz login and it logs in, but nothing appears in the Browse Qobuz page. I can't use it to send Qobuz tracks via UPnP on my iPad with the mconnectHD app that worked perfectly with MoOde on the All Signature. An error message flashes up quickly about curl not being able to find a URL.

* I enabled ssh logins via the volumio DEV page but username 'volumio', password 'volumio' don't work. The makes it very difficult to debug problems with the system. I also rely on being able to login to the system to transfer my playlists to the /var/lib/mpd/playlists directory, or wherever Volumio puts the playlists.

* The software was last updated a year ago, on May 6th 2019 which is really worrying when there are major problems like Qobuz not working. The 'Check Updates' button never returns whether or not there is a current update.

* The Volumio UI has crashed once or twice.

* I tried put a bootable SD card in both the USB ports with MoOde on it, hoping I could get it to boot with another OS so I could have a look at the Volumio file system, but it didn't boot from them.

* I have a file called 'folder.jpg' in each album folder in my NAS which is pretty standard with MPD, but Volumio isn't finding them in the web UI. There doesn't seem to be any way of finding out what path to configure the album art path for MPD apps on my iPad such as Rigelian an MPaD.

* Rigelian automatically finds MoOde players running via zeroconf I assume, and it knows all the stuff such as where to find the album art. But I have to enter the Volumio IP address manually.

I'll mail Stack about these issues, but I thought I'd ask here about whether other Link users are having similar problems, or whether it's just me missing some set details or how to get the latest software version.

It's working a bit better now, and I have Qobuz via UPnP working. I had set a static IP address which worked fine for the local LAN, but I don't think it was able to access the WLAN. I had added two DNS server IP addresses in case it didn't find them via the gateway, but it still didn't work for some reason. The Qobuz screen on the Volumio web app still isn't working at all. If I can get the ssh user and password off stack I think I can fairly easily debug and fix the local covert art problem. I am a bit happier with the Link that I was earlier now.

Super Wammer

Crumbs, that would put off the average user, surely?  Is it usually a dealer install, because I’d expect it to be pretty much plug and play aside from the odd password?

I hope you get it sorted because it looks like a super product. 

Super Wammer

Not aware of this unit or what it costs . Just visited their website and frankly I would throw this unit at them and say get on with it and make it work . Thye specify that is is a bridge that will make the use and playing of all your digital streams be they NAS , on your PC or MAC or Tidal and Quboz really simple . Well obviously not .

I will ask one question though which may or may not be relevant do you have a paid licence for Volumio ? If not then this may well be the source of your problems . Not used the software myself but in reading some of the threads here certain things within the software only work if you have paid the additional fee to use Volumio . Worth checking .

Super Wammer
51 minutes ago, bencat said:

Not aware of this unit or what it costs . Just visited their website and frankly I would throw this unit at them and say get on with it and make it work . Thye specify that is is a bridge that will make the use and playing of all your digital streams be they NAS , on your PC or MAC or Tidal and Quboz really simple . Well obviously not .

I will ask one question though which may or may not be relevant do you have a paid licence for Volumio ? If not then this may well be the source of your problems . Not used the software myself but in reading some of the threads here certain things within the software only work if you have paid the additional fee to use Volumio . Worth checking .

It cost 725 pounds plus shipping,  but the hardware is really impressive and makes my Allo USB Signature look very primitive.

No I haven't got a paid Volumio subscription, and I don't expect to have to buy one either. I'm not particularly a fan of Volumio and I prefer MoOde really. Although I have a long list of problems, several of them were caused by my static IP address DNS not working, and then not being able to debug that because the volumio ssh login didn't work. I've no idea why that is disabled or whether there is an alternative user to use with ssh, but I personally regard that as pretty mission critical, and I'll contact Slack Audio to see how to use ssh with the Link.

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Nopiano said:

Crumbs, that would put off the average user, surely?  Is it usually a dealer install, because I’d expect it to be pretty much plug and play aside from the odd password?

I hope you get it sorted because it looks like a super product. 

I would say it is plug and play if you use a DHCP IP address, instead of a static one and don't want to ssh onto the Link. But as a more expert user, those things were something I did want to be able to do. In spite of my list of problems it is still a super product in terms of the build, with just the software having some rough edges which may be fixed soon with a new software release coming in a week or two.

7 hours ago, rdale said:

if you use a DHCP IP address, instead of a static one and don't want to ssh onto the Link

Hi Richard

would a reserved IP address be sufficient ?

Why is a static address required for SSH ?

ronnie

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, Man in a van said:

Hi Richard

would a reserved IP address be sufficient ?

Why is a static address required for SSH ?

ronnie

A static address isn't required for ssh, I just need to know a suitable username and password to be able to login. I can check if my router allows IP addresses to be reserved, but I shouldn't need to do that. After I enabled ssh via the DEV screen I get the ssh login prompt ok, and so the service is there. I use static IP addresses for things which are permanently connected to the network, as it is more convenient to be able to push my ssh key with ssh-copy=id so I can write scripts to push playlists or whatever to the MPD servers.

16 hours ago, rdale said:

When you say 'Browse Qobuz page', are you talking about clicking on a Qobuz icon on the Volumio home page to get to this, or something else?

Super Wammer
Just now, MartinC said:

When you say 'Browse Qobuz page', are you talking about clicking on a Qobuz icon on the Volumio home page to get to this, or something else?

Yes, clicking on the Qobuz icon leads me to a Qobuz page which doesn’t appear to do anything although I successfully logged into Qobuz via Volumio.

9 minutes ago, rdale said:

Yes, clicking on the Qobuz icon leads me to a Qobuz page which doesn’t appear to do anything although I successfully logged into Qobuz via Volumio.

What do you see? Does it let you access Qobuz music via the Volumio app, rather than the more complex UPnP related functionality you referred to?

I use the miniDSP version of Volumio which looking at the Stack manual looks broadly similar but I use Tidal rather than Qobuz. With Tidal I get a very basic view as below but from here can then either search for music or browse using the other options. It works but it's a tad basic! 

776243307_VolumioTidal.thumb.JPG.b03783117dee825989e4a1c259252051.JPG

Super Wammer
40 minutes ago, MartinC said:

What do you see? Does it let you access Qobuz music via the Volumio app, rather than the more complex UPnP related functionality you referred to?

I use the miniDSP version of Volumio which looking at the Stack manual looks broadly similar but I use Tidal rather than Qobuz. With Tidal I get a very basic view as below but from here can then either search for music or browse using the other options. It works but it's a tad basic! 

776243307_VolumioTidal.thumb.JPG.b03783117dee825989e4a1c259252051.JPG

It seems I need to pay for a Volumio subscription to get it to work, although there is nothing in the Link user guide that says you need to pay extra. It certainly isn’t worth paying for, as mconnectHD on an iPad is a lot better.

2 minutes ago, rdale said:

It seems I need to pay for a Volumio subscription to get it to work, although there is nothing in the Link user guide that says you need to pay extra. 

Are you certain? With my miniDSP the Tidal and Qobuz functionality is included in the specific version of Volumio they use and I'd guessed the same may be true for the Link? I know that for the standard version of Volumio that can be downloaded that you need to pay for membership for these features. Just checking you haven't found the latter info. via a Google search rather than Link specific info?

8 minutes ago, rdale said:

It seems I need to pay for a Volumio subscription to get it to work, although there is nothing in the Link user guide that says you need to pay extra. It certainly isn’t worth paying for, as mconnectHD on an iPad is a lot better.

Surely the Volumio sub is included in the product. 

Are you using Qobuz desktop App or webplayer? 

Super Wammer
Just now, MartinC said:

Are you certain? With my miniDSP the Tidal and Qobuz functionality is included in the specific version of Volumio they use and I'd guessed the same may be true for the Link? I know that for the standard version of Volumio that can be downloaded that you need to pay for membership for these features. Just checking you haven't found the latter info. via a Google search rather than Link specific info?

Via PM from a fellow Link owner. But it isn’t something I need, and so I’m not going to spend any time looking into it. Just that having non functioning UI features is a bit untidy.

• Like 1