Non-Smoking Man

Intermittent fasting diet

With the lockdown I am not getting the exercise i have become used to (jive dancing and record fairs (surprisingly strenuous)) and have put on weight.

Trying the intermittent fasting technique: my chosen path is to extend the natural fasting entailed  by  sleep both in front of sleep (no eating from 6 pm) and after it (no breakfast till 10 a.m.). This totals the 18 hours fast required.

Anyone trying this type of thing?

Jack NSM

These work well for some as they find it easier to limit total weekly calories this way. See how you get on :).

(Not something I've tried myself but I know people who have.)

Yes, it really worked for me.  As time progressed and I got on well at work and I found myself more at business meetings/lunches with less chance to exercise. The weight went up and up. Eventually there were medical issues and I was advised by a good doctor friend to lose weight, a lot of weight.

I tried everything (sensible). I either failed to lose the weight or failed to keep it off. I tried intermittent fasting and managed to lose 3.5 stone. It took time and intially the missing of a meal was not easy but you get used to it. I managed to try to arrange to fill my time with work when I normally ate. It took my mind off no lunch. It took many months as losing too much weight at once is not good. A lot of swimming helped.

Needed two new sets of clothes though but my medical issues have all gone.

• Upvote 1

most of the folks here are fasting !! builders working long hours included ... i don`t know how they all do it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/23286976

, i have tried fasting in the past but i just get grumpy 

• Haha 1

Depression is a known side effect...it did make me hesitate in the present circumstances..however 'Spaced' is being rerun on Channel 4 - so, no worries..!

Jack

I have been intermittent fasting since 1.1.2019.  I usually eat at 12:00 noon and 6:00 pm.  The reason why most diets and / or fasting fails is because you get hungry.  This is a powerful urge and unless you have powerful resolve it will wear you down.  And even if it doesn't you will be miserable.  The way around that for me is partly very low carbs - thereby minimising the insulin response, and with coffee.  I add pure cream or coconut oil to the coffee and the combination of fill from water, caffeine from the coffee, and especially the fat takes away the hunger.  I shed about 30 kg painlessly and permanently.

• Like 1

It did not work for me.I lost 1 kg in 4 months. I did the 5 and 2 thing .

From past experience low carb/high protein is more effective but maybe not sustainable.How much cauliflower rice and salad can you take?

It does seem to work for others though.I have friends who do not eat anything between 6PM and noon and they swear by it  and have lost weight-her more than him.

13 hours ago, Andrei said:

I shed about 30 kg painlessly and permanently.

Wow that's nearly 5 stone (old fashioned me!!). That is a great achievement.

Posted (edited)

You did well too George..

I'm into day 3 and i've settled into a manageable regime whereby my fast is from 6 30 pm to 10 30 a.m.

I have experience of self denial as I am a successful 'ex-smoker' (cold turkey).

Also being a septagenarian i'm in the NHS (hurrah!) bowel cancer programme and have had 2 treatments, necessitating either a 24 or 36 hour fast (cant remember which is stipulated). (As you take a medication to purge the system its actually worse.)

Tbh, I'm finding it a bit of a doddle at the moment - I hate my body at the moment so I've aleady won the mental battle. ( I am a leading (in both senses) modern jiver and during the stoppage my dance company is showing some facebook vt of us dancing. I saw myself on my computer screen and didnt like what I saw - I was fat!)  This is much as I found giving up smoking - I hated the irrationality of the self harm and life-shortening aspects of smoking so I won that mental battle first and foremost. The rest was not easy, but easier.

Jack NSM

Edited by Non-Smoking Man
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Non-Smoking Man said:

You did well too George..

I'm into day 3 and i've settled into a manageable regime whereby my fast is from 6 30 pm to 10 30 a.m.

I have experience of self denial as I am a successful 'ex-smoker' (cold turkey).

Also being a septagenarian i'm in the NHS (hurrah!) bowel cancer programme and have had 2 treatments, necessitating either a 24 or 36 hour fast (cant remember which is stipulated). (As you take a medication to purge the system its actually worse.)

Tbh, I'm finding it a bit of a doddle at the moment - I hate my body at the moment so I've aleady won the mental battle. ( I am a leading (in both senses) modern jiver and during the stoppage my dance company is showing some facebook vt of us dancing. I saw myself on my computer screen and didnt like what I saw - I was fat!)  This is much as I found giving up smoking - I hated the irrationality of the self harm and life-shortening aspects of smoking so I won that mental battle first and foremost. The rest was not easy, but easier.

Jack NSM

Note: 6pm to 10am, or 6.30pm to 10.30am, is a 16 hour rather than 18 hour fast. Good luck, fasting is beneficial.

Posted (edited)

When I've finished the Easter eggs which I bought for my handicapped brother and his friends, the chicken liver pate that Mrs Feet made yesterday and the cupboard full of chocolates and biscuits I will try this fasting. I'm already part way there as I spend a lot of time in bed and I've also stopped drinking at home as it was getting out of hand. 

Edited by Pete the Feet
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pete the Feet said:

When I've finished the Easter eggs which I bought for my handicapped brother and his friends, the chicken liver pate that Mrs Feet made yesterday and the cupboard full of chocolates and biscuits I will try this fasting. I'm already part way there as I spend a lot of time in bed and I've also stopped drinking at home as it was getting out of hand. 

You're a man after my own heart. A cholesterol clogged artery heart...:whistle::hug:

Note to Headcoat: I read it has to be 8 hours on, 16 hours off. Do you advise 18 hour fast?

Jack

12 hours ago, Non-Smoking Man said:

Note to Headcoat: I read it has to be 8 hours on, 16 hours off. Do you advise 18 hour fast?

Jack

I have seen recommendations for '16 hour minimum'.  However I am sure it is one those 'depends on the individual' thing.  Also fairly difficult to measure.  Another thing, it can be any 16 hour window but most people find it easier to skip breakfast.  There was a youtube vid by Dr Berg where he recommended easing into it.  I don't recall but it was something along the lines of three meals a day (no snacks of course), then down to two meals a day with a 16 hour window.  Then when you are comfortable with that then move it to a longer window.  There are some people who do OMAD - one meal a day!  Not me! Basically the idea is that by not eating you do many good things by fasting:  control blood sugar, avoid the insulin response (thereby encouraging burning fat rather than glycogen), stimulate autophagy.  

Andrei, that is impressive weight loss and certainly an example to all of us!

I could do with losing a couple of stones and have tried the low carbs / high protein diet. At first it worked very well, but after losing half a stone, I seemed to hit a plateau and no matter how much exercise i did, I could not shed any more. I am in my late 60's, so walking 4 miles, three times a week, is about my limit. I would like to try this new approach and before I embark on the fasting diet, I need some advice.

For instance ...what time do you have your main meal? What type of food do you have at the other meal time? What low-carb snacks do you use?

Finally.. would the odd glass of red wine be allowed, at the end of a busy day?.