Sign in to follow this  
plasticpenguin

VE Day stories

Been watching a lot of TV relating to VE Day. On one programme they had this documentary on those guys from the Caribbean. This vet was saying the amount of abuse he was taking from the GIs, using the 'N' word all the time.

Bless him, he traveled 1000s of miles in a strange country and had to put up with that. No-one deserves that. It brought a tear to my eye...  

Yeh, I hate all this patriotic war worship bullshit. Was reading about the Russian invasion of Germany in 1944, Soviet soldiers  estimated to have raped upto 2 million German women, just innocent civilians.  Now tell me they're heros.

Well it looks like VE Day has cured the virus as social distancing has taken a back seat. We went out for a walk today and passed many a street party and neighbourhood get togethers. After our tea [That's dinner to the Southerners] I decided it was a good time for our weekly shop as everyone was socially un-distancing theirselves. On our return we saw some of our neighbours sat round in a jolly huddle of about 20 +. It was only last week they informed me, from a safe distance that all their shopping was being done by home delivery as they were in the at risk group. On the upside we did hear a very good rendition of "Beyond the Sea" as some of our more distant neighbours had hired a professional singer for their street party. 

other than having to hear a fair amount of 40's music from a nearby street party I managed to avoid most of it. To me it is about remembering the lives lost not about some bloody party. The people who went through it had reason to celebrate, and did. Those same people went on to create things like NATO, the NHS, and the common market. Things there offspring seem determined to dismantle. I hope they enjoyed the gammon butties.

• Upvote 1

A thoughtful, thought provoking and also deeply moving speech from the German President:
https://www.bundespraesident.de/SharedDocs/Reden/EN/Frank-Walter-Steinmeier/Reden/2020/05/200508-75th-anniversary-World-War-II.html

• Like 1

On 08/05/2020 at 19:27, Mikeandvan said:

Yeh, I hate all this patriotic war worship bullshit. Was reading about the Russian invasion of Germany in 1944, Soviet soldiers  estimated to have raped upto 2 million German women, just innocent civilians.  Now tell me they're heros.

I would certainly not call these heroes, not the only mistake the Russians made, look at what they did at Warsaw.  The only excuse that can be given, retaliation for atrocities committed by the Germans when invading Russia.

When you think about patriotic war worship bullshit, you might want to consider the bravery shown on D Day and many more instances that are too numerous to mention.  Just think if it had not been for that brave generation, you could be well living under the jack boot.

On 09/05/2020 at 12:49, dudywoxer said:

I hope they enjoyed the gammon butties

Gammon butties , fish paste was all we got .

7 hours ago, antonio66 said:

I would certainly not call these heroes, not the only mistake the Russians made, look at what they did at Warsaw.

I worked with a Polish guy in the late 70's , he was 60 odd and hated the Russians , always said the German soldiers were decent .

I always remember a story told by a much older than me friend, he drove a 8 wheeler truck to the coal mines, taking it to wherever it had to go. Well at one site, worked a small Polish guy and a rather larger German, you know ex SS looking type.  The German would not go near the Pole, the Pole always threatened to kill the B#stard

My granddad was a POW in Poland in the latter part of WW2.  He was liberated by Russians.  The only thing he would ever say about it was heaven help us if we tackle the Russians they were worse than the Germans in every respect or total no respect for anything or anyone.

Atrocities were carried out by all sides to one degree or another. A friend of mine was in the Airborne at Arnhem and eventually made his way through to Germany. The thing he and his comrades in his regiment most feared was their Sergeant. He was a Geordie thug, who whilst he generally got the job done he didn't think twice about thieving, murdering and raping the women along the way. Eventually he was found dead in a ditch.

After this they witnessed the Russian Cossacks on horseback galloping by with a baby's head on a bayonet. He said these were really terrifying people and they feared these more than the Germans. 

On 09/05/2020 at 12:49, dudywoxer said:

other than having to hear a fair amount of 40's music from a nearby street party I managed to avoid most of it. To me it is about remembering the lives lost not about some bloody party. The people who went through it had reason to celebrate, and did. Those same people went on to create things like NATO, the NHS, and the common market. Things there offspring seem determined to dismantle. I hope they enjoyed the gammon butties.

You're forgetting celebrating them winning the right for you say what you said there. 

The alternative being that anybody not toeing the party line is subhuman and shouldn't be allowed to live, hmmm, actually not too dissimilar to certain views on this forum 

18 hours ago, Gaz38 said:

You're forgetting celebrating them winning the right for you say what you said there. 

The alternative being that anybody not toeing the party line is subhuman and shouldn't be allowed to live, hmmm, actually not too dissimilar to certain views on this forum 

I spent some of the time thinking about two of my uncles, one of whom went through the desert war, and Italian campaign, the other who was part of the d-day landings. I am more than well aware of what they went through thanks. I am also fairly sure neither of them, had they still been with us, would have wanted too much to do with the 75th anniversary shenanigans. May be they would have spent some time remembering their fallen comrades, but neither of them where overly keen on flag wavers. If by some strange fluke of history the people making all the fuss had actually taken part in the conflict I may rethink it. I also believe they where much more aware of the need for international cooperation in creating and building the better future they wanted for everyone than fridays flag wavers.

• Like 1

It makes me think that the promotion of this event was tied in with the breaking of the lockdown and getting us all back to normal regardless of the obvious danger to health. I suspect that once again the British public have yet again been manipulated.

• Sad 1

They changed the Bank Holiday nearly 1 yr ago, long before Covid19

• Upvote 1