DomT

USB cable for dac and JitterBug recommendations

Interesting to see that Chord use bulk transfer, which is a sensible thing to do. However if isonchronous mode is so good ie very low error rates why go to the expense of producing a bespoke driver. I take the point about other sources of problems.

Super Wammer
15 minutes ago, zeta4 said:

Interesting to see that Chord use bulk transfer, which is a sensible thing to do. However if isonchronous mode is so good ie very low error rates why go to the expense of producing a bespoke driver. I take the point about other sources of problems.

Chord don't use USB bulk transfer in any of their current DACs.

Posted (edited)

He does state in the comment I posted that USB cables should be tested for compliance.

Have Audioquest done that? If they have I would be tempted to buy one.

How do you know Rankin uses Audioquest cables? Where did you read that?

Edited by halloweenman

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Sorry I misread something 

Edited by DomT
Deleted post

It would be interesting if those who claims that there is no audible differences between USB cables would list which brands and models they personally compared to basic print USB cables for example?

5 minutes ago, mentt said:

It would be interesting if those who claims that there is no audible differences between USB cables would list which brands and models they personally compared to basic print USB cables for example?

It would be interesting if those who claim that there is a an audible difference between USB cables would list the criteria of their (blind?) testing methods and a proper statistical analysis of the results, for example?

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
34 minutes ago, halloweenman said:

He does state in the comment I posted that USB cables should be tested for compliance.

Have Audioquest done that? If they have I would be tempted to buy one.

How do you know Rankin uses Audioquest cables? Where did you read that?

Audioquest USB cables used to to bundled with Wavelength Audio DACs.

1 hour ago, jas0_0 said:

You could probably achieve identical (or at least similar) functionality with a windows-based Intel NUC.  

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/products/boards-kits/nuc.html

I expect they’re cheaper than an equivalent performance Mac Mini.

I just use a Mac Mini because that’s what my household is more familiar with.  

You can also run windows on a Mac Mini, though I wouldn’t bother paying more for one if you’re only going to use it for windows.  

OK thanks, but they look quite expensive when you add enough RAM. I use 16GB and SSD drive at the moment but my computer is about 8 years now and having a few problems. Already had the PSU replaced once and I think this one maybe on the way out as well. How long have you had the MiniMac and has it ever gone wrong? 

1 hour ago, rdale said:

Gordon Rankin uses audiophile cables - Audioquest ones. He doesn't use printer cables or recommend them.

John Darko rates the Curious USB: https://darko.audio/2015/09/curious-for-the-curious-a-knockout-usb-cable-from-australia/

He says "For this commentator, there’s no doubting the Curious USB cable’s audible superiority to vanilla wire – some of which doesn’t even meet the USB spec. The Curious also knocks out other audiophile-aimed offerings like AudioQuest’s Carbon. "

He also did a blind test on a friend who did hear differences in the sound but full details of the test were not revealed. John Darko had used Audioquest cables in his system apart from the USB.

I've not experimented with USB cable exotica, but in preparation for this year's aborted Kegworth show, I did some experiments to see how long a cable I could reasonably use, as I planned to stream directly from the PC to the miniDSP (used as active crossover/preamp/DAC) over USB. The previous year, I had a 5m Rhinocables USB cable (a fiver on Amazon) connected for control signals only (streaming was SBT->Toslink->miniDSP) but it was a tad short so I started looking at options for a longer connection. I came across this USB booster:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B2HP2UI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

which is also 5M long, and gave the option of up to 10M if I attached the passive 5M cable to it.

While testing out what was possible, I was able to compare:

- The standard miniDSP supplied cable (~1M long, decent quality but nothing special)

- The 5m Rhinocable

- The Ugreen booster cable plugged into the PC with the miniDSP cable plugged into it (6M total)

- The Ugreen booster cable plugged into the PC with the Rhinocable plugged into it (10M total).

All of the above combinations worked flawlessly both for controlling the miniDSP and for streaming music to it. I could not detect any difference in SQ between the 4 options. Before starting the experiment, I was prepared to hear some differences in SQ, and potentially to have issues with control signals, particularly with the second and fourth options, but even with my expectation that I would hear a difference, there wasn't any to be heard.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, rdale said:

Audioquest USB cables used to to bundled with Wavelength Audio DACs.

Which one and for which dac? I'm struggling to find anything on the web.

Edited by halloweenman

Super Wammer
28 minutes ago, halloweenman said:

Which one and for which dac? I'm struggling to find anything on the web.

“In other Wavelength Audio news, all USB DAC models and the WaveLink will now be supplied with a high-quality Audioquest USB cable at no extra cost. The Proton, Brick, and WaveLink will come with a USB Cinnamon, the Cosecant will come with a USB Carbon, and the Crimson will come with a USB Diamond.”

https://www.audionexus.com/nl14_wavelength_audio.shtml

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MGTOW said:

It would be interesting if those who claim that there is a an audible difference between USB cables would list the criteria of their (blind?) testing methods and a proper statistical analysis of the results, for example?

Based  on your response I will assume that you have no real life experience with comparing USB cables

Edited by mentt

54 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

OK thanks, but they look quite expensive when you add enough RAM. I use 16GB and SSD drive at the moment but my computer is about 8 years now and having a few problems. Already had the PSU replaced once and I think this one maybe on the way out as well. How long have you had the MiniMac and has it ever gone wrong? 

I’ve only had the Mac Mini a few weeks.  It’s a 2012 model I bought second hand.  I can’t comment on its reliability, though if it helps I’ve had a 2012 iMac and a 2013 MacBook Air until recently that have both worked flawlessly.  

My girlfriend’s also had a MacBook Air since 2013.  That worked perfectly until 2018, when she took a sip of water then laughed so hard at something on BBC’s W1A that she sprayed it all over the keyboard.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jas0_0 said:

I’ve only had the Mac Mini a few weeks.  It’s a 2012 model I bought second hand.  I can’t comment on its reliability, though if it helps I’ve had a 2012 iMac and a 2013 MacBook Air until recently that have both worked flawlessly.  

My girlfriend’s also had a MacBook Air since 2013.  That worked perfectly until 2018, when she took a sip of water then laughed so hard at something on BBC’s W1A that she sprayed it all over the keyboard.  

OK thanks, I will have to look into it more.