DomT

USB cable for dac and JitterBug recommendations

17 minutes ago, oldius said:

I connect to my streamer via wifi so I am not sure I qualify. I would have to see if my laptop can connect to my streamer via USB.

I think someone should do it, especially with a range of cables from the £6 one that has emerged, to one costing hundreds of pounds.

It just has to be blind and with no communication between listeners until the results are published on here by A, B, C, D only, rather than model and manufacturer, until we are ready!

The thing is I actually believe USB cables can sound different. However, I also believe any USB certified cable in my system would sound identical. It depends on the system and the cable.

1 minute ago, jas0_0 said:

It never ceases to amaze me how a piece of boring cable that transmits 0s and 1s can incite so much anger among grown men.  

The need to be "Right" and prove anyone of a contrary position "Wrong", is far more important than answering the question.

The only answers should be:

1. Here is a suggestion for you to try

2. I don't think it makes a difference.

3. Drink proper coffee, but no more than 2 mugs, before giving an answer to a cable debate.

• Like 1

I think you should lock every thread that mentions blind testing and contains links to ASR..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Super Wammer
10 minutes ago, rabski said:

Absolutely right.

Further to this, if this thread turns into a slanging match with people simply insulting each other, it's going in the bin and some people may be taking a holiday from the site.

There are rules for reasonable behaviour here. Read it before you post it please.

Rabski please don’t delete the very valuable info that is being shared in this thread as I haven’t made a list yet of all the cables people have recommended. Will do it right away

• Like 1

Super Wammer
5 minutes ago, MotherSky said:

I think you should lock every thread that mentions blind testing and contains links to ASR..

Or maybe give the OP the right to delete any such posts so that threads aren't constantly derailed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DomT said:

I am a musician and you are telling me that I don’t know if my instrument is in tune or not? Wow, just wow!! I applaud your ‘chutzpah’.

DomT

I am not and would never comment on you ability as a musician, you may have perfect pitch and I can barely manage a plodding bass line, that though is not the issue.

You may even be genuinely able to hear and quantify the differences you write about, that would make you a quite exceptional person in this respect. I don't know you so can not say.

What I can say, with some certainty, is that your posts attempting to explain or rationalise these views are bad enough, but your tendency to call anyone who has a different view to your own 'deaf' is beyond the pail.

It's OK Dom. Nothing ever gets deleted, just hidden.

The tediousness of people repeating the same circular arguments endlessly and the 'I can here a difference' vs. 'there cannot be any difference' is one thing, though after all these years, quite why people fail to understand the phrase 'difference of opinion' remains a mystery.

On the other hand, when it descends into insults, it goes beyond being acceptable. More than the usual amount of leeway is being given all over the place here, because we all understand the frustrations of the current situation. However, that doesn't mean everything is excusable. The standard forum rule is always the one to remember: before you post something aimed at someone, ask yourself whether you would say it to their face.

21 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

Actually sight is very important regarding taste, tests have found, some report it is the biggest factor. 

Cognitive bias is very simple in principle, all our senses work together and they all have an effect on our perception, and yes, for most sight is the dominant sense and has the biggest effect.

Analysing cognitive bias is much more difficult, as indeed is attempting to overcome it by conscious means, this has been shown to be true many times.

A very simple demonstration of this is the famous McGurk effect. I'm sure it has been posted on here before, but if you are not familiar with it, take a look...

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, MGTOW said:

DomT

I am not and would never comment on you ability as a musician, you may have perfect pitch and I can barely manage a plodding bass line, that though is not the issue.

You may even be genuinely able to hear and quantify the differences you write about, that would make you a quite exceptional person in this respect. I don't know you so can not say.

What I can say, with some certainty, is that your posts attempting to explain or rationalise these views are bad enough, but your tendency to call anyone who has a different view to your own 'deaf' is beyond the pail.

You are misunderstanding me. The vast majority of people on the planet ie those without Amusia, can tell if an instrument is in tune or not. This is scientific fact based on a lot of research. If a person cannot hear this then the term deaf is appropriate as a broad term. 

In an earlier post I did write that if people can’t hear differences I believe them but find it baffling as to me the difference between two cheap non-brand cables is very clear. Given that I didn’t even buy them for audio they are very old printer cables I have no motivation to say if there was a difference either way.

Reading posts on here about amps and speakers and cartridges etc I often wonder how people hear the tiny things that they are hearing because I often don’t hear them or can’t quantify it as well as them. So when the same people can’t hear cable change differences when I  can clearly do so it seems odd. These people typically talk about poor methodology or that it’s impossible and yet this just seems to exist for cables and not amps which according to Harbeth all sound the same.

Seems weird to me.

• Like 1

Challenges associated with cognitive bias / placebo effect absolutely apply to all components not just cables. 

There is though a slightly different context to discussions where measurements and technical understanding suggest there are no differences at all.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Just been reading that the Neo by Oyaide that a few people recommended is used and endorsed by many famous studios, musicians and DJs.  So it’s between this the Supra and AudioQuest it’s s shame that the Neo is lime green. 

43 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

The need to be "Right" and prove anyone of a contrary position "Wrong", is far more important than answering the question.

The only answers should be:

1. Here is a suggestion for you to try

2. I don't think it makes a difference.

3. Drink proper coffee, but no more than 2 mugs, before giving an answer to a cable debate.

Drink proper coffee with coffee mate of course! Lol

43 minutes ago, MotherSky said:

Why? Frightened of having your opinions challenged?

Or are you just naturally inclined to censorship?

Maybe you are just taking the micky, in which case, have an uptick. :^

Super Wammer

If you google “oyaide neo usb cable review” and go to user reviews you can see a huge number of musicians highly rating this cable for no drop outs compared to non-hifi cables and many but not all are also saying improved sound quality. Given that ‘hifi’ people say that ‘musicians’ dismiss anything that is snake oil maybe I should follow what these musicians are doing. 

9B1E7A36-0DBF-4EFC-B1DE-BAD9377ABB6D.png

• Like 1

Super Dealer
28 minutes ago, DomT said:

You are misunderstanding me. The vast majority of people on the planet ie those without Amusia, can tell if an instrument is in tune or not. This is scientific fact based on a lot of research. If a person cannot hear this then the term deaf is appropriate as a broad term. 

In an earlier post I did write that if people can’t hear differences I believe them but find it baffling as to me the difference between two cheap non-brand cables is very clear. Given that I didn’t even buy them for audio they are very old printer cables I have no motivation to say if there was a difference either way.

Reading posts on here about amps and speakers and cartridges etc I often wonder how people hear the tiny things that they are hearing because I often don’t hear them or can’t quantify it as well as them. So when the same people can’t hear cable change differences when I  can clearly do so it seems odd. These people typically talk about poor methodology or that it’s impossible and yet this just seems to exist for cables and not amps which according to Harbeth all sound the same.

Seems weird to me.

Compare those cables again unsighted you mustn’t know which is in circuit, this is more convenient if you have two identical Dac’s to attach the cables to.

If they are so different you should easily be able to consistently pick the difference.

Keith