DomT

USB cable for dac and JitterBug recommendations

I went to  dealer to demonstrate some speakers in the £5k to £10k range back in the days when I had some money. Before going, I wanted the Shahinian Obelisk to be the best of the bunch: their looks and uniqueness appealed to me before I even heard them. Fortunately, they were by far the best of the speakers I listened to and I bought them. Were they the best or did I just want them? I will never know but I did enjoy them for years.

2 hours ago, DomT said:

In this case they were affected by listening to their speaker in a different room. As I said before (and gave a well known verifiable example) that you quickly dismissed, you can know your speaker intimately in your own room, but as soon as you put it in another room you might not recognise it because it will behave differently.  Happens with studio engineers all of the time when they take their monitors to new studios.

This should not be a surprise to you today and so your example is not valid.

Remember, in this test they were simply comparing speakers one to another and ranking them accordingly, there was no attempt at making any kind of absolute judgement.

Yes the room was unfamiliar but the same for all speakers, it was a relative simple process, no discussion between the listeners during the test though there was plenty afterwards and there was a general consensus as to which models they thought best. At this point they were still discussing speaker 'A', 'B', 'C' etc, some listeners going so far as to say which model was which. They were mostly wrong.

Most of those present found the experience 'interesting', differences were actually much smaller than anticipated and the rankings rather different to what was expected.

As to your example, speakers sound very different in different rooms even to experienced listeners, that is self evident, I am not sure what you want me to say about that.

36 minutes ago, DomT said:

I might be wrong but I am pretty sure that I am the only person here who has actually chosen a complete system at a dealer completely blind to what I was listening too. I have actually tried this methodology spending real cash on the outcome. Have never repeated the methodology because it didn’t reveal anything new in terms of what I like or don’t like  

It would be interesting if you could give some more details. How was this done? I don't quite follow the last point unless you were listening to equipment you'd previously heard though.

I have never auditioned equipment unsighted. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DomT said:

I might be wrong but I am pretty sure that I am the only person here who has actually chosen a complete system at a dealer completely blind to what I was listening too. I have actually tried this methodology spending real cash on the outcome. Have never repeated the methodology because it didn’t reveal anything new in terms of what I like or don’t like  

Anyone else especially those advocating this approach? Not just a cable but a whole system like I did?

So you heard the system from behind a curtain? Wouldnt the curtain influence the sound a little?  

Edited by Nearly bewildered
Spelling just for a change

To get back to the beginning of this Post.  ......This morning I received a Tellurium Black USB cable that replaced a £40 Audioquest cable that I had been using for a few months ( New DAC/CD player, different input) In short this is a big grin, laugh out loud upgrade.  Nuff said. Music calls😀

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Minicoupeman said:

To get back to the beginning of this Post.  ......This morning I received a Tellurium Black USB cable that replaced a £40 Audioquest cable that I had been using for a few months ( New DAC/CD player, different input) In short this is a big grin, laugh out loud upgrade.  Nuff said. Music calls😀

Which model Audioquest was it. Rather than say ‘upgrade’ perhaps you can give me some idea why you preferred the Tellurium? Thanks

On 15/05/2020 at 08:16, halloweenman said:

"The only time I have heard changes with USB is with audiophile cables that actually create more RF noise, and sound worse. But certified class 2 cables sound the same."

"If you use headphones and use Hugo 2 on battery don't bother with USB cables - use a quality type 2 certified cable. If you hear a difference it's either a placebo or the cable has been bodged to create more RF noise giving the impression of more transparency. It's not, it's just more noise floor modulation from the RF noise."

"Yes I haven't ever heard a change using certified USB cables; that is cables that have been tested and comply with USB standards. I recall hearing one audiophile USB cable sounding brighter, and was consistent with more RF noise from the cable, so the cable had been "tuned" as an RF generator...

Gordon Rankin who's worked on Audioquest DragonFly from Darko Audio:

"when we transitioned from Full Speed USB to High-Speed USB DACs. A lot of the really expensive USB cables from audio companies failed miserably; I doubt many of these cables were even tested for High-Speed compliance."

I think there is a picture emerging...

Is the picture that people insist that all USB cables sound the same, until someone claims the more expensive ones sound worse. :D 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Warszawa said:

Is the picture that people insist that all USB cables sound the same, until someone claims the more expensive ones sound worse. :D 

I don't think Rob Watts is saying that. I understand him to mean all CERTIFIED usb cables will sound the same with HIS dacs. That's certainly true in my experience with Hugo TT. Though Hugo TT has galvanic isolation on USB and I use a battery powered energy efficient laptop  I've tried a few different certified cables and no way would I be able to tell the difference blind.

Edited by halloweenman

Posted (edited)

The first thing I do with any new cable in my system is to rest my electrically noisy laptop power cable across it and put my ear to the speaker and listen for any noise/hum/buzz. Anything other than complete silence and the cables gets returned/sold.

Try it! It will be interesting to know if audiophile usb, speaker, or interconnect cables conduct any noise from a noisy laptop power cable touching it.

Edited by halloweenman

Super Wammer
5 hours ago, DomT said:

Which model Audioquest was it. Rather than say ‘upgrade’ perhaps you can give me some idea why you preferred the Tellurium? Thanks

Yes, good call. Sometimes a cable is an upgrade and sometimes it is just different (but worse) but still gets labelled as an upgrade hence the need to say how it is better. 

Sorry. I can’t remember to Audioquest model but it cost me £39 and I think I have seen it cheaper.  Oh and I attended an Audioquest demo at Bristol. They make some great cables with clearly definable benefits.  The Tellurium cable cost £300.  I spend all day yes today revisiting music via a Melco with my ripped CD collection on and Gidal from the same.  More detail ( I didn’t think possible) more dynamic, more ‘real’.  One of my best ever upgrades.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, Minicoupeman said:

Sorry. I can’t remember to Audioquest model but it cost me £39 and I think I have seen it cheaper.  Oh and I attended an Audioquest demo at Bristol. They make some great cables with clearly definable benefits.  The Tellurium cable cost £300.  I spend all day yes today revisiting music via a Melco with my ripped CD collection on and Gidal from the same.  More detail ( I didn’t think possible) more dynamic, more ‘real’.  One of my best ever upgrades.

Thanks Andy

Super Wammer

Just to put a foot note for those interested. It seems that there are very few cables with USB C to B connector at 1.5m length and so so bought the only one that FutureShop sell. It’s an Audioquest Cinnamon.

I did a brief a/b comparison vs unbranded usb cable. Cinnamon had more body to the music. Am too busy and not interested in blindfolding myself to do tests. There is a difference listening via Luxman DA100. The difference is single digit % difference. It may or may not be worth it to you. I am ok with it but it’s not a bargain. 

3 hours ago, DomT said:

Just to put a foot note for those interested. It seems that there are very few cables with USB C to B connector at 1.5m length and so so bought the only one that FutureShop sell. It’s an Audioquest Cinnamon.

I picked up an Audioquest Cinnamon cable only yesterday, it's the cat 7 ethernet cable rather than USB. I am surprised how much of a difference this made. I bought it used but boxed and as new and tbh wasn't expecting that much, but was cheap enough not to loose any sleep over. There is a bit more of everything using this cable but especially treble and detail. Makes the sound a bit brighter, maybe to do with the silver in the cable, decent cable for the money and worth trying. Maybe I'll try the USB version next...

On 14/05/2020 at 13:53, d_a_n1979 said:

I've gone through countless CDPs, DACs, transports, software packages etc and very rarely have I been able to tell any difference...

Pardon my curiosity,  but why? Why did you go through countless CDPs, DACs transports etc, if very rarely you were able to hear any difference?  

I am not trying to be too clever here, but such posts really puzzle me.  I've never had two CDPs or DACs that sounded identical. I still remember the character of each of them. 

But I still can count them.