Sign in to follow this  
Samhud

Naim hiss with sonos

Hi all, I had the bright Idea of streaming my music through my nap 150x via sonos connect.

Works fine but there is a slight hiss through my speakers, seems to be slightly more noticeable from the left channel.

Would the sonos be causing this and is there anything I can do make it stop?

TIA

Posted (edited)

interesting samhad , i tried my nain supernait 2 with my sonos and it did not like it at all !!! i had to give up , from recollection it made a hum . i asked at the naim dealer and the only answer they gave was that i should have paired it with a naim streamer !! 

you may find more help on the pink fish forum which has many naim owners 

but i see you already had that idea !! will be interested in their thoughts 

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/naim-and-sonos.240567/

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/mixing-naim-with-other-brands.240312/#post-3980240

Edited by hifinutt

I suspect that there are two factors in play here:

the Sonos has no earth, so there's a potential grounding issue.

The quality of the variable analogue out is probably not that high.

If you want to see what the Sonos can do, then use a Naim Pre then on to the 150x.

I've got to admit that I had a Sonos a good few years ago and I felt it was poor on the SQ front, whether analogue or digital out. The Bluesound equivalent is a much better bet, IMO&E.

The Sonos is probably causing the NAIM to go unstable and oscillate. It won't be the Sonos' fault but that Naim will do that at the drop of a hat.

Bizzarely changing the speaker cables could stop the oscillation and the noise go away. This is where the myth of speaker cables changing the sound all came from.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 19/05/2020 at 14:23, toprepairman said:

The Sonos is probably causing the NAIM to go unstable and oscillate. It won't be the Sonos' fault but that Naim will do that at the drop of a hat.

Bizzarely changing the speaker cables could stop the oscillation and the noise go away. This is where the myth of speaker cables changing the sound all came from.

Cyril Bateman (RIP) wrote about that rare problem way back in 1997 in Electronics World Magazine.

But it's not the cables fault. It's the combination of the amplifier, cable, cable length and loudspeaker problem.