Posted (edited)

I have been concerned over the possibility of potential conflicting filtering issues between Linn's Sound Optmization and Roon software which could deteriorate sound quality. 

After a long AB session, that semmed to be true.

Just like Steve Guttenberg said: "Roon is not for me..."

Edited by ampvoice
  • Like 2

My enthusiasm for Roon has started to wane. I still think the functionality is great, but I recently have found music less enjoyable.

After comparing Roon Sound quality with the Linn App and Asset UPnP, I have decided to revert back to the Linn App or Kazoo for critical listening in stereo.

The extra sparkle to the music more than compensates for the Roon features I am missing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newton John said:

My enthusiasm for Roon has started to wane. I still think the functionality is great, but I recently have found music less enjoyable.

After comparing Roon Sound quality with the Linn App and Asset UPnP, I have decided to revert back to the Linn App or Kazoo for critical listening in stereo.

The extra sparkle to the music more than compensates for the Roon features I am missing. 

Interesting John! 

Care to share any details? Is this music from your own library or from Tidal/Qobuz? What are you hearing specifically? I looked at your profile and you certainly are blessed with kit for this kind of testing...

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, PhotoMax said:

Interesting John! 

Care to share any details? Is this music from your own library or from Tidal/Qobuz? What are you hearing specifically? I looked at your profile and you certainly are blessed with kit for this kind of testing...

Thank you, Max.

Most of the listening was with local files on a USB drive attached to my Roon ROCK NUC. I did briefly confirm my findings using Qobuz.

The difference is best described as the music coming more alive. The sort of improvement I've experienced in the past with hardware upgrades. This is something I struggle to put into words. It's just more enjoyable to listen to.

Previously, I couldn't hear much difference between Roon and Kazoo/Asset. However, I wasn't using files from the same storage device and it wasn't done under ideal circumstances. I was with my dealer making other changes. He had warned me that Roon might have an adverse effect, but I couldn't hear it at the time.

Perhaps, there's been some changes to Roon or Linn soft/firmware in the meantime that has caused a problem. 

I made the comparison again after reading this thread because I haven't been enjoying my music as much recently. Listening again last night confirmed my findings. 

Listening with the Linn App was still not ideal because Asset is on a laptop with wifi and there were dropouts if I listened to high res, yet 16 bit sounds fabulous. Also, the music stops if the laptop goes into sleep mode. I need to give some thought as to how I am going to run Asset going forward. Maybe, I'll put Windows and Asset on the NUC and reinstate the music file library on my NAS.

I am pleased about the music sounding better, but a little disappointed at the prospect of losing the Roon functionality.

Edited by Newton John

I’ve just tried Roon v Kazoo/Asset and can’t hear a difference! However, this is not to say there isn’t one, just that I’ve been unable to hear any. I’m glad, too, as I bought a lifetime Roon sub (just before it went up) so wouldn’t want to stop using it, although had I heard a difference I would have had to have to put some serious thought into doing so.

The move back to Kazoo was rather painful in its lack of information compared to Roon though. 

Mick

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Interesting. I don’t follow chatter on Roon closely but I have seen discussion on the impact on sound quality. Some hear a difference and some don’t when using Roon. The similar debate is ongoing with Tidal MQA vs Qobuz superiority. 

I signed up with a Roon account but have never used it. I have played with it at a friend’s house and love the entire interface. I was going to give it a try but then got swept into upgrading my two systems. My main system on the mainland has huge internet bandwidth but my island place gets internet service via a small startup company (just 50 customers) with bounced radio signals coming into the house. On the island I get frustrating interruptions if I play hi res files via Qobuz. Playing at CD quality is just fine though. Linn won’t play MQA on its own. So, for now I continue to subscribe to both Tidal and Qobuz. I have enjoyed some of the hi res Qobuz streams on my mainland system.

The prospect of using Roon at two locations became a deal breaker. Having two paid licenses would be expensive. I could use one license at both locations but not at the same time. We bounce from place to place frequently and sometimes my wife is at one and I am at the other. Then there is the Roon Core hardware to contend with. I don’t want to double up on everything or have to move a computer from location to location. 

As I have highlighted in other threads moving from one place to another brings some glitches with the Linn Kazoo app kowning where we are, so all is not perfect. 

John, have you discussed your findings on the Roon support forum?

Edited by PhotoMax

Posted (edited)

Reading this thread got me to finally install the Roon Core on my MacBook Pro and start my 14 day free trial. Using my iPad as the controller. I am not using a music library, just feeding Tidal and Qobuz into the system.

So far so good! No issues during the install or setup. I will play with Roon for a few days and do some comparative tests against Kazoo...

Edited by PhotoMax
  • Like 1

As John, I’ve noticed a (deliberately small) difference in SQ between Roon and MinimServer (both running on a Mac mini). I’ve started my Roon trial about one year ogo The difference in SQ to me was quite similar to MinimServer serving FLAC to the DS natively vs. transcoding it to WAV before. Actually, this observation was the reason why I’d asked Linn if transcoding from FLAC to WAV is part of the Roon protocol and they confirmed my assumption that Roon transcodes to WAV (generally speaking raw PCM is WAV).

Soundwise (in my setup) I prefer that the server does not transcode to WAV, but I know that other people prefer the transcoding to take place at the server’s side. From my personal experience, the effect of where transcoding takes place is much bigger than the higher processor load on the server’s side and network traffic Roon causes. If streaming from Qobuz, you’ll see both effects, since local servers like MinimServer or Asset are not involved in this process.