DomT

Who has bought an entire system at a dealer blind?

5 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:

Loudspeakers would be the very last component I would purchase ‘blind’ you must hear them in your room especially if they are a ‘traditional’ design with no facility for adjustment.

Keith

Not sure if you're aware of this but you can use any loudspeakers you like if you use REW to measure the in room response and apply some EQ. :^ 

• Haha 4

50 minutes ago, MGTOW said:

Interesting.

I find the opposite to be true. Mostly anyway.

If the initial impression is poor, I find it very hard to come back from that. Prolonged exposure might allow you to see some positives, but the fundamental issues remain.

Ah, but an initial impression of "not being irritated" is not the same as "the initial impression is poor". I would say it's (not irritated) a benign impression rather than a negative one. 

I have... Bought my new tannoy legacy ardens from reviews and chat with dealer. No regrets. 

Can't compare to equally priced speakers all I know is that since I got them I have doubled my listening time every week. Good at low level BG whilst reading.... Brilliant at listening levels.... So yes bad audiophile here 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MGTOW said:

Interesting.

I find the opposite to be true. Mostly anyway.

If the initial impression is poor, I find it very hard to come back from that. Prolonged exposure might allow you to see some positives, but the fundamental issues remain.

I take your point and agree. I wasn't really thinking of equipment that sounds poor to start with. What I should have said is that even equipment that sounds fine to start with sometimes doesn't necessarily stand the test of time.

I found a Benchmark DAC and Dutch and Dutch sounded very impressive to start with, but all that glitters isn't gold and I found that with both, my listening sessions were shorter than with equipment that suited me better. If after an hour or so of music I think I have had enough there is probably something wrong. With better equipment, for me, I will be listening until 3 or 4am in the morning. 

Blimey, I am now a measurist with a testing methodology. The later I get to bed, because I can't stop playing music, the better the equipment! :bulb:

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warszawa said:

Not sure if you're aware of this but you can use any loudspeakers you like if you use REW to measure the in room response and apply some EQ. :^ 

Keith pointed that out to me three or so years ago. I think he was serious.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Headcoat said:

Ah, but an initial impression of "not being irritated" is not the same as "the initial impression is poor". I would say it's (not irritated) a benign impression rather than a negative one. 

Difficult one this.

Fatigue over the longer term is an issue, though what troubles me more is when changing a setup to something 'known' to be better, not being convinced but getting caught up in the whole 'running in', give it time rigamarole.

Been caught like that once or twice in the past. I have been around the hifi block a few times, so I hope not that easily impressed by the bright and shiny. 

I find it important to avoid hifi that draws attention to itself in an irritating way. Rather more difficult is finding equipment that not only isn’t anodyne but remains convincing in the long term. In this I suspect we are all different and what I find irritating and distracting others will find a positive attribute and vice-versa.

In the last analysis if I am listening to, say, Roderick Williams singing lieder and find it difficult to believe that he isn’t actually in front of me then it is job done. It is all about the most convincing suspension of disbelief for me and then the hifi becomes invisible in favour of the music taking centre stage.

• Like 1

On 18/05/2020 at 04:48, Camverton said:

With all this bally testing going on it’s a wonder anyone finds time to enjoy music!

Oh for heaven's sake.  What are you on about?  What is this 'enjoy music' heresy? Dude! Wake up and have some coffee.  I'm here for the measurements, the willy waving, the gear man, the gear.  

(PS  If, and this is a really big if, we become friends and let me say my words are being influenced by a dark force (Glenmorangie), then I might confess to a little fetish known as Stravinsky.

• Haha 1

On 17/05/2020 at 18:15, Warszawa said:

Cool, I'd like to use Wharfedale Diamonds, because they're small and cheap.

After applying this REW to them, will they have the clarity, detail resolution, and dynamics of my EV Patricians? Will they also have the bass extension at loud volumes that the Patricians have too?

6 hours ago, Andrei said:

Oh for heaven's sake.  What are you on about?  What is this 'enjoy music' heresy? Dude! Wake up and have some coffee.  I'm here for the measurements, the willy waving, the gear man, the gear.  

(PS  If, and this is a really big if, we become friends and let me say my words are being influenced by a dark force (Glenmorangie), then I might confess to a little fetish known as Stravinsky.

Some might say that you’d need a barrel of whisky to cope with Stravinsky :D. But if you are going to have a fetish Stravinsky is as good as any, and less harmful than many I couldn’t think off, allegedly...;-)

Super Wammer

Fetishes 🤔

Ahh yes, putting a women in a boiler suit full of Swarfega, and then squeezing it out like a tube of toothpaste. 

3 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Fetishes 🤔

Ahh yes, putting a women in a boiler suit full of Swarfega, and then squeezing it out like a tube of toothpaste. 

Good clean fun :D.

That's great! Sounds like fun.

And a little bit kinky tbh. Personally the experience will feel a bit too awkward for my liking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk