halloweenman

The Jewel In The Crown

Posted (edited)

What is the jewel in the crown of your hifi system and why? The one item you really don't want to live without.

For me it's a close-run between my Chord Hugo TT DAC and Spendor 2/3 speakers. Ultimately though it has to be my Spendor 2/3 speakers. The speakers for me make the biggest difference to the sound and the 2/3 are a perfect fit for me and my room. They just sound so natural and effortless. The bass doesn't hang around and times really well, remarkable for a large ported stand mount, the port is very benign. They can sound dynamic and exciting as well as beautiful and beguiling. Vocals and acoustic instruments sound as real as I've heard. Top end is smooth and un-hyped yet doesn't seem to lose any resolution or detail. They are forgiving. I love them.

Edited by halloweenman
  • Like 1

Super Wammer

For me it is my KJF Audio 6 channel Hypex nCore modular amp, which allows me to tri amp my active speakers, from one box. It is also incredibly powerful, a total of 850 wpc into 4 ohms.

It is run close by my Oppo Sonica dac, which not only measures supremely well, but sounds sublime too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, halloweenman said:

What is the jewel in the crown of your hifi system and why? The one item you really don't want to live without.

For me it's a close-run between my Chord Hugo TT DAC and Spendor 2/3 speakers. Ultimately though it has to be my Spendor 2/3 speakers. The speakers for me make the biggest difference to the sound and the 2/3 are a perfect fit for me and my room. They just sound so natural and effortless. The bass doesn't hang around and times really well, remarkable for a large ported stand mount, the port is very benign. They can sound dynamic and exciting as well as beautiful and beguiling. Vocals and acoustic instruments sound as real as I've heard. Top end is smooth and un-hyped yet doesn't seem to lose any resolution or detail. They are forgiving. I love them.

Much as I enjoy my Spendor D7's, I would love to listen to a pair of 2/3's. I have a hunch I would love them.

I have room for both and I could switch between them depending on my mood and the music I am listening to 😀

• Like 1

My Voyd. Short of stumbling across an immaculate full-blown Reference, I can't think I'll ever part with it (mind you I said that about the first one I owned, and then had to sell it due to redundancy).

Super Wammer

Has to be my SJS modified/tweaked Type 26 DHT preamp.  Superbly detailed music and a great soundstage.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Three sheds said:

Much as I enjoy my Spendor D7's, I would love to listen to a pair of 2/3's. I have a hunch I would love them.

I have room for both and I could switch between them depending on my mood and the music I am listening to 😀

Haha I might have tried D7 if my room was big enough.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Although not currently being used as I'm on an active speaker sabbatical, my one piece of hifi that I won't part with is my pair of Aliante Pininfarina Moda speakers. Rich and musical sound, very rare, and aesthetically both weird and stunning to look at.

My other hifi bits may not be jewels but they are little gems nonetheless ... 

Edited by t1no
  • Like 1

Super Wammer

All the items in my system are my Jewels or are they my relics? (until I find a shinier better sounding jewel I can afford) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, halloweenman said:

Haha I might have tried D7 if my room was big enough.

Oh well, maybe I need to set my sights on the Classic 1/2's instead 9_9 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

I can't choose anything from my main rig as each component has taken things to a different level in a good way. My Jewel is my Cambridge C50/A50 pre/pwr combo, I bought them new for £400 the pair in 1988 and theyre still doing sterling service in my second system 32 yrs later.

I've recently scored a 2nd A50, so I can now run in bridged mono, something I wanted, but couldnt afford to do back in the day. Stan Curtis certainly knew what he was doing when he designed them. 

Edited by Lurch
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

My John Howes Quad II. Cannot see me ever selling them, the whole hifi is built round them. Lots of other kit has come and gone but the amps have always stayed. 

Cheers 

6174D53B-4434-4C16-9FAF-663BEB698769.jpeg

8624BDA3-4AB8-4751-89B7-1B1D331635E2.jpeg

Edited by Turn it up!
  • Like 5

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Sadly as I am now suffering very bad tinnitus the jewel in the crown was always my ears I just did not realise this until too late .

Edited by bencat
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, bencat said:

Sadly as I am now suffering very bad tinnitus the jewel in the crown was always my ears I just did not realise this until too late .

Sorry to hear that @bencat

A reminder to all to look after our ears.

I hope it improves for you. I understand listening to music at low levels can help.

Edited by halloweenman