SOLD.............. Tron seven line preamplifier.... Valve £1300 down to £1200 incl UK shipping

Richdirector

For sale my Tron Seven Line stage (soon to be followed by my Leben CS300XS)

I am having a major shift in setup and going down to one system so the time has come to shift gear.

Some may know the name Tron as one of beautiful simple and high quality construction. It replaced a croft 25r in my setup 18months ago. Was lovely into ATC P1 and lovelier still into these Robson mono a class.

It gives effortless listening and is great on detail and musicality. Silver wire internal upgrade 2016.

There is a review here https://6moons.com/audioreviews/tron3/seven.html

And I think stereophile liked it too. There is one on eBay at too high a price 1950.... I guess things like this are relative. So here to wammers I'd prefer and it's on the bay for more

Specification:

Inputs: 5 RCA Line inputs (L & R).

Outputs: RCA main output (L & R)

Valve Complement: 2 × 5687 (low noise).

Frequency Response: 5Hz–37.5kHz ± 3dB.

Gain: 15dB

Output Impedance: <600 Ohms

Mains Supply: 115–240 volts AC (50–60Hz). Earth lift included.

Power Consumption: Nominal 12 watts

Dimensions (mm): 450w × 103h × 335d

Weight: 7kg (net)

IMG_20200517_093956.jpg

IMG_20200517_093938.jpg

Edited by Richdirector
Sold
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Great pre-amp, GLWS

Edited by mike chadwick

54 minutes ago, mike chadwick said:

Great pre-amp but difficult to sell. Sold one a couple of years back and only got around £900. Heartbreaking! GLWS

Oh dear looks like I will be building a spare system again. Emporium offered me 1100 on ebay as they selling another at 1950

Edited by Richdirector

beautiful pre , just out of interest , where does it say its a valve hybrid ? i thought that was only power amps ? 

33 minutes ago, Richdirector said:

Oh dear looks like I will be building a spare system again. Emporium offered me 1100 on ebay as they selling another at 1950

Sounds like a good deal! It’s so frustrating as these are seriously good pieces of kit but ridiculously hard to sell on. Same with the Antares Headphone amp - I guess it’s the lack of reviews and recognition.

47 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

beautiful pre , just out of interest , where does it say its a valve hybrid ? i thought that was only power amps ? 

14dB gain is derived from a pair of Philips-branded 5687s located in ceramic sockets toward the right end of the circuit board. The AC portion of the power supply is shielded from the audio circuitry in a separate compartment to the left of the circuit board. An additional metal enclosure shields the power transformer. 

Solid-state rectification, regulation and capacitive filtering are located on the left end of the circuit board.  Graham chose 2-watt carbon composition resistors for the 5687 tubes. His coupling caps are made to Tron specs and film/foil types. All internal wiring is silver-plated oxygen-free copper with PTFE insulation

Most people would just say valve pre but there are some that use valves for rectification..... So that's why I said hybrid. But same as some mcintosh like the C70 which is listed as valve pre but has SS elements... AFAIK

• Like 1

ah thanks rich for that clarification 

some info from GT 

forgot to mention that we still offer a full service and upgrade service to all existing Tron models, so a 2006 Tron Seven can be upgraded to the "Ultimate" version, and models post 2010 can be upgraded to the GT spec. Prices are just the difference in price between the models based on the 2018 price list.

There are 4 versions of each model:
1. Tron Seven which was just the standard version.
2. Tron Seven Reference which a standard model but fitted with the same parts as Tron's top preamp The Syren.
3. Tron Seven Ultimate, this is basically a Reference model but with complete silver signal wiring plus a few additions.
4. Tron Seven GT, this is an Ultimate but with the GT power supply.

Note: there were major updates from 2010 where dual-mono power supplies were introduced plus a few other improvements.

The Seven range (Phono stage, Line stage, Preamplifier and DAC) was discontinued in December 2018 after being in production for 12 years. The Seven range has now replaced by the Tron Atlantic series. This new Atlantic series will be available at the beginning of May. About 600 Sevens were made, but not many were sold here in the UK. Most went to the USA, Asia and Europe.

044-157 was made in December 2008 and is basically a standard model, it was priced in 2008 at £2250 [on here at 1300 quid ]
044-159 was made in December 2008 and is basically a standard model, it was priced in 2008 at £2250[ on audio emotion at 1950]

Edited by hifinutt

Mine had silver wire upgrade 2016.

• Like 1

I have to say that this is a stone cold bargain at £1300. The replacement for the Seven, the new TRON Atlantic preamp starts at £3500 for the basic version (line stage only). This sounds better than the vast majority of preamps you to £5k. I already have a TRON preamp, so sadly I don't need this one. Good luck with the sale.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, topoxforddoc said:

I have to say that this is a stone cold bargain at £1300. The replacement for the Seven, the new TRON Atlantic preamp starts at £3500 for the basic version (line stage only). This sounds better than the vast majority of preamps you to £5k. I already have a TRON preamp, so sadly I don't need this one. Good luck with the sale.

Could the phono stage be retro-fitted to this? If so, that would be VERY tempting, or should I say even more tempting!

1 hour ago, Nagraboy said:

Could the phono stage be retro-fitted to this? If so, that would be VERY tempting, or should I say even more tempting!

Yes Graham tricker could add one... And can even upgrade insides but it Could cost ££££. 

He does a standalone MM convergence phono for 900 and MC for 1000. That might make more sense... Keeps elements seperate too

1 hour ago, Nagraboy said:

I used with vanguard trigon stage which was fantastic with my rega RP8 apheta but I'm sure tron is another whole level

he can`t fit a remote though [ i have just asked him]  but he has said this 

I forgot to mention that we still offer a full service and upgrade service to all existing Tron models, so a 2006 Tron Seven can be upgraded to the "Ultimate" version, and models post 2010 can be upgraded to the GT spec. Prices are just the difference in price between the models based on the 2018 price list.

Edited by hifinutt

• 3 weeks later...

Price reduction 1200 shipped as just bought another Hulk watch for silly Covid money so feeling happy... 

• Like 1