TheFlash

SOLD Custom Design Milan 6 HiFi rack, solid oak, 7 levels £695

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

IMG_6069.thumb.jpg.88f5f9f7a905b96c406214ff5c36af0e.jpgIMG_6071.thumb.jpg.495b383a7e6b8fdbe02d8a1b8404f6cd.jpgIMG_6070.thumb.jpg.c3d419b6b7f5cccfdd3b910136dc80a0.jpgI've been racking (pun intended) my brains all weekend about how to accommodate my changing hifi in Kendal... and have at last come up with a cunning plan. Yes, another one.

So up for sale is my gorgeous seven tier hifi rack from Custom Designs. It's the previous version of the Milan 6 in which the shelves sit in grooves in the sides. The top shelf is a Milan 10, top-mounted in the current style, and selected so it could take the weight of a once-resident 35kg amp.

I can't even fit all seven shelves in under my turntable shelf, which is why there's one on the floor. The third photo is to show the exquisite detail of the design.

EQUIPMENT NOT INCLUDED!

I simply love the look of this rack. Slight curve to the front of the glass, etc, all wonderfully thought through. Real solid oak not veneer, and it's sustainably sourced.

External width 580mm; internal width 480mm, allowing standard 430mm width components to fit and breathe.

All shelves except the top one can obviously be swapped around. The top shelf gives a 120mm (4") gap underneath so can comfortably acommodate most components. Summary of shelf gaps:

• 120mm x1 under top shelf
  • 120mm x1 moveable
  • 150mm x2
  • 100mm x2

For reference, the two lowest Arcam units you can see are 85mm high and sit comfortably in the 100mm shelves.

The top shelf has an RRP of £185, the others £170 so if you bought this new it would cost you £1205.

There are two logistical challenges:

1. I simply cannot consider posting this due to glass, costs, etc. Any handover arrangements must be consistent with current government regulations; social distancing and a polite bow then.
  2. The rack is in Kendal. I'm here until Tuesday PM and then heading home to Leicestershire; I will return in 2-3 weeks. Safe handover can be arranged in Kendal, near Melton Mowbray or points in between.

Please PM me if interested. Open to sensible offers of course.

Edited by TheFlash

Super Wammer

Super Wammer

A proper hifi rack that also looks like a proper piece of furniture. Not many do.

IMG_5880.jpg

Lovely Nigel. That is a beautiful rack.

If I hadn't just bought some extra speakers and a set of delicious headphones in last couple of days I'd be on it like a rash. Bank is quivering right now. If I did, i fear death via my beauty. Lol 😂

GLWTS. That wont take long.

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
25 minutes ago, Amormusic said:

Lovely Nigel. That is a beautiful rack.

If I hadn't just bought some extra speakers and a set of delicious headphones in last couple of days I'd be on it like a rash. Bank is quivering right now. If I did, i fear death via my beauty. Lol 😂

GLWTS. That wont take long.

Classic! Many thanks. 

Super Wammer

I must drop a note to the mods. My PM's aren't working. Haven't received a single enquiry in 24 hours.

Ooooooooh 11 is that your new Mactone that I dribbled over but could not afford> How does that sound??

IMG_6026.thumb.jpg.b6fe69cbd149b997baa16a9030e7e9fb.jpg

Super Wammer
11 hours ago, ovlov854 said:

Ooooooooh 11 is that your new Mactone that I dribbled over but could not afford> How does that sound??

IMG_6026.thumb.jpg.b6fe69cbd149b997baa16a9030e7e9fb.jpg

I didn't notice any dribble marks... but yes, it sounds very nice indeed.

That's mainly down to the fabulous rack of course. 🤔

• Haha 1

Lovely. Most hi-fi racks look so industrial but that's gorgeous. I'm make an offer but sadly it's too small for my oversized power amp.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
9 hours ago, Zen Monkey said:

Lovely. Most hi-fi racks look so industrial but that's gorgeous. I'm make an offer but sadly it's too small for my oversized power amp.

It accommodated my humongous Audia Flight FLS10... so yours must be even massiver!

It's a Sugden Sapphire (20 x 43 x 46cm hwd)) but needs another 10 cm vertical clearance because it's class A.

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Zen Monkey said:

It's a Sugden Sapphire (20 x 43 x 46cm hwd)) but needs another 10 cm vertical clearance because it's class A.

That's tiny compared with the FLS10 which was also pure Class A, and same footprint as (though taller than) my Sugden IA-4. If your concern is merely the height, you use fewer shelves... which is why I have a spare one.

You might prefer/need to have your Sapphire below top deck eg. if you have a turntable. When I had my Rotel Michi RHB-10 in this rack, I spoke to Custom Design and they confirmed that some people do what I did: pick a big shelf, remove the spikes, turn it upside down at the very bottom of the rack with another tall shelf spikes into the empty holes. Result is a completely stable rack with a large space towards the bottom. Losing the spike height means you don't quite get the sum of the shelf heights, but the tallest gap you could create here would use the two largest shelves, one on its back, to give total height of 290-300mm... ie. 9-10cm clearance. Hope this helps! (Can't demo the shelf inversion as I'm no longer in Kendal).

image.png.4978c6160c790f1fa324d0be4c3241b1.png

I had pondered if it might be possible to create more height by flipping a shelf over (it's good to know this can be done safely and securely) but class A amps are happier with open space on all 4 sides for free and easy air flow. Still a lovely rack though. Reminds me of Stand Unique's Cosmic range of hifi and AV furniture, not in appearance, but in beauty and elegance.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
26 minutes ago, Zen Monkey said:

I had pondered if it might be possible to create more height by flipping a shelf over (it's good to know this can be done safely and securely) but class A amps are happier with open space on all 4 sides for free and easy air flow. Still a lovely rack though. Reminds me of Stand Unique's Cosmic range of hifi and AV furniture, not in appearance, but in beauty and elegance.

Yes, I love it. My cunning plan is simply to buy a double width AV one...