JensA

Any recommendation for affordably vintage Linn stereo system?

I am absolutely happy with my Linn Majik DSM and the rest of my equipment and - at least for the time being - I am somehow immune against the Linn upgraditis virus.

However I am thinking of buying an affordable vintage stereo system - i.e. amp, speakers, possibly tuner, but no phono and no cd - for our second livingroom.

No modern digital in- or outpts required as would simply attach a Google Chromecats Audio to the system, so just need a simple Cinch Input.

I don't want to spent a fortune, preferrably less than 1000 Euro for the total system.

Any recommendations for vintage Linn equipment?

Linn Kelidh speakers for around 250. Easy to drive, even a NAD 3020 will work

Majik I, integrated amp 8same casing as you DSM) for around 500 
Øyvind I

• Upvote 1

I got a pair of Kan II’s on a Part trade when I was selling my ninkas. I could not believe how much detail and sound came out of those small boxes. My wife now has them in her art studio and has warned me never to list them for sale.

The previous seller was as running them

Ok the older LK style majik-I and then added an lk140. I auditioned them with my mdsm/1 and was sold on them.

The keilidhs are also a fine speaker with the same majik-I amp but I think the kan II’s would be easier to drive with the 2 x 33w.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had my LK style Majik integrated from new and it has been excellent. You can get them quite cheap, a phono stage was optional. You can always use it as a pre should you want to add a power amp. Katans are great speakers, they can also be picked up cheap and can be run aktiv.

Super Wammer

In recent years, affordable and Linn rarely go together, though a used Sneaky DS is a bargain at around £450 to £550 imo.  LP12s are all pricy and even used Kan speakers fetch £500 sometimes.  
The original Sneaky will drive nice tidy new speakers, like those from Q Acoustics that aren’t fussy and are reasonably sensitive.  Then you’d be able to stream radio and a service like Qobuz. 

Index2 on Kustone stand or Tukan for bookshelf.     Intek or Majik integrated amp, or as above just a sneakyDS on it's own which is very nice little unit, even they are starting to go back up in price again. 

Or a Creek amp from the same era,  even better if you can stumble upon an IncaTech Claymore in good order or has been serviced. (It will out perform early Linn Pre-Power set ups) 

Posted (edited)

I would definitely recommend the original Linn Majik i intergrated amplifier at about £250. Speakers are a much more personal choice but keeping with the vintage theme I would go for a pair of Linn Kans (MK1 or 2) with nice cabinets. I find the look of the Keilidhs too brutal and their visual design hasn't aged well. Whereas the simple box venered cabinet is much more sympathetic to modern style.

CJ

Edited by CJ1045

Kairn plus LK100 would make for a nice setup. You could go for a Kairn Pro if you have no wish to run a turntable.

Mick

2 hours ago, CJ1045 said:

I find the look of the Keilidhs too brutal

Yep, they are about the same size as my B&W CM7

15 hours ago, zee9 said:

I got a pair of Kan II’s on a Part trade when I was selling my ninkas. I could not believe how much detail and sound came out of those small boxes. My wife now has them in her art studio and has warned me never to list them for sale.

Thanks for the suggestion! In view of (small) size and look Kans appear to be more appropriatethan the pretty big Keilidhs

As for the amp:

In order to keep the "boxcount" low would prefer an integrated amp, so LK100 etc. are not top priority.

Will have a look for Intek and Majik-I, how about the Classik Musik?

Posted (edited)

The Classik-K is selling at really attractive prices these days and is really good with the right speakers.

I would not recommend it with Kan I or IIs as they need a really good source and amps to really sing. Even with an LK140 KanIs are not really fun. They need (strangely) either the classic Nait1 and vinyl or a seriously good digital source, good pre and the likes of a Klout do to them justice.

Starting with Classik and Kans I/II is most certainly the start of an  upgrade journey. 

I have not heard the Majik K but assume there is a similar risk with the original Kans.

Edited by 90sLinn
spelling

11 minutes ago, 90sLinn said:

The Classik-K is selling at really attractive prices these days and is really good with the right speakers.

I would not recommend it with Kan I or IIs as they need a really good source and amps to really sing. Even with an LK140 KanIs are not really fun. They need (strangely) either the classic Nait1 and vinyl or  a seriously good digital source, good pre and the likes of a Klout do to them justice.

Starting with Classik and Kans I/II is most certainly te start of an  upgrade journey. 

I have not heard the Majik K but assume there is a similar risk with the original Kans.

Disagree a lot on the amp for the Kans, never had an issue with any amp I have use with them and we have had them in our systems continually for 30 years. Currently use a little all-in-one Marantz box and they sound great.

CJ

I would not recommend it with Kan I or IIs as they need a really good source and amps to really sing. Even with an LK140 KanIs are not really fun. They need (strangely) either the classic Nait1 and vinyl or  a seriously good digital source, good pre and the likes of a Klout do to them justice.
Starting with Classik and Kans I/II is most certainly te start of an  upgrade journey. 

I’m curious about this too. Presently driving our Kan II’s with a non Dynamik c5100. Bi-wired. I have a kairn lying around so was thinking of picking up an LK140 for the look and period to match the Kans. now this has got me worried.

If we ever combined the systems the plan is to use the Kans as rear speakers in a surround setup with my aktive Kabers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of possibilities for affordable vintage Linn, apart from what has been mentioned above

I like the Classik Music mentioned, and the Classik Movie as a preamp/amp setup. Although the laser may not be working anymore in some cases, the preamp and amps sections are quite reliable. The Classik Movie, which I owned had a built in tuner and would do simulated surround for stereo media.

The Unidisk SC has an excellent preamp and pairs well with many Linn offerings, but the lasers may or may not be working. I also love the sound quality of an Akurate Kontrol if you can find one. 

Kans, Tukans, Katans are all good choices for bookshelf speakers, as are Keilidhs, Ninkas and Espeks/5140’s. Don’t forget the Komponent speakers as a reasonable choice.

There a a few extra thoughts to consider.