Richdirector

CEC belt drive CD transports... Any one had one?

After reading some reviews I am curious about these CD transports. Has any of the WAM brain used /owned / experienced one. The cheaper!! Ones 

Yes I had 5100z, the one with dac.  It's got a real letterbox type presentation.  I remember it sounding great into a sonic frontiers dac I couldn't afford 😄😄

Ps dont get it posted, it's a transport that doesn't like being transported.....

Couple of things i didn't like was the cheap remote and also the use of steel plate inside the pressed metal casing. Perhaps it was for rf rejection, but more likely to get weight just over the magic 10kg heft test....

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, graham67 said:

letterbox type presentation

?? As in thin but wide SoundStage... Enlighten me please

Posted (edited)

Yes I remember it having an almost unnaturally wide soundstage, at the expense of the central.image.

An alternative explanation was that it could be a little diffuse, rather than focused.  It was classic late 90s jap high end style presentation

So not the most rhythm driven sound, but plenty of detail. IMO, not as good as the Tom Evan's Eikos cdp of similar vintage.

And the heavy puck and manual drawer is a bit of a faff when the novelty of the sanyo belt drive wears off.

All very personal views I realise but to.me it is mid fi masquerading as high end. A teac vrds into a dac would be a better bet and less hassle.

Edited by graham67
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, graham67 said:

Ps dont get it posted, it's a transport that doesn't like being transported.....

Couple of things i didn't like was the cheap remote and also the use of steel plate inside the pressed metal casing. Perhaps it was for rf rejection, but more likely to get weight just over the magic 10kg heft test....

How do they transport from Japan to USA and Europe then? xD

Fair comment but any damage is upto to the dealer and Cec distributor to manage.   IMO, the packaging of the 5100 (and I would guess the almost identical 51z) was substandard for such a heavy item, a single smallish box with flat cardboard 'leafs'  for the inner packaging.  Also the manual drawer mech is easily knocked out of alignment.  I had one couriered and it was so badly damaged, the distributor kindly sent me a new one....

13 hours ago, norton said:

I've had the Tl51x and have had a Tl1x for about ten years

What were your thoughts on the player? I'm guessing you liked if you had two

Yes my comments were only applied to  the 5100 and similar 51 range.  The tl1 is a different and better beastie 😉