toms wait

old cd player dacs

24 minutes ago, mr.me said:

Talking of TDA1541 my DAC has four of them 

TDA1541NOSDAC.jpgTDA1541x4NOSDAC.jpg<a 

Awesomeness!  

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

If you read the history of the CD players, there was not a specific DAC for audio use, but Philips had a load of DAC chips which came from their test and measurement division. These were 14bit resolution. Then came the bit wars, and also the over sampling including the 1 bit Dacs. Also there were different type of filters to remove the artefacts. Dacs also have different methods of reconstructing the Analogue signal ranging from Ladder Networks to Programmable Gate Arrays. Early CD mechanics had a decent die-cast chassis and you may find that Lasers are almost impossible to get, through to a modern computer mechanism which cost peanuts to make. Here is a bit of history of your machine......

https://medialux.blog/2018/07/08/the-marantz-cd94-part1-the-drive-mechanism/

https://medialux.blog/2019/07/08/the-marantz-cd-94-part-ii-the-da-converter/

Before you invest in an aftermarket DAC it might be worth check out the availability of the Marantz CD94 Transport.You maybe only able to get Chinese clones.

Alan

Edited by Radioham

4 hours ago, toms wait said:

I wasn't thinking about having a dac, just curious if things had improved and I guess expecting to look for a replacement someday.

I must admit I don't understand digital at all, 1 bit, multi-bit, over sampling etc.

The same as other components newer Dacs IMO are different but not necessarily better.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Radioham said:

https://medialux.blog/2018/07/08/the-marantz-cd94-part1-the-drive-mechanism/

https://medialux.blog/2019/07/08/the-marantz-cd-94-part-ii-the-da-converter/

Before you invest in an aftermarket DAC it might be worth check out the availability of the Marantz CD94 Transport.You maybe only able to get Chinese clones.

Alan

Many thanks for putting those links on.  I read both of those and it would appear that things haven't improved, just got cheap build quality at a higher price and worse performance.  The magazines sold advertising revenue and audiophiles ended up poorer and with worse gear.  

I actually have two CD94's, one is a mk1, the main one I use a mk2.  The mk1 was bought for spares.  Although some bits won't swap over.  There appears to be little wrong with my machine, occasionally very occasionally it won't read a cd maybe 1 disc every 2 years!

Reading the article it would appear mine is due a cap change although some were done a few years ago.  I have changed the belts to the drawer twice in 30 years.  Some of the more technical mods are beyond me but if I fancy this some research should help.

It was also interesting to read of the different TDA dacs, not sure which mine are in the cdp, s1 or 1's I think.  The author is scathing about some of the electronics but I don't have the technical knowledge or a steady soldering hand to attempt anything other than a re-capping.

Interestingly there was a link to an article about a valve the author rated 6L6GC.  I read this too as it rang bells for me.  My Audio Innovations amp which I foolishly nearly sold but came to my senses, was altered by David Coe (Juancho on here) and I got him to get it to run 5881 valves, which are sisters to the 6L6GC.  A result methinks.

Posted (edited)

For a while it seems that Marantz CD players were Philips with a different front panel.

Philips made some really good and inexpensive CD players in the 1990's.

In their case the lack of expense is a good thing because they used relatively simple analogue sections. Half an op amp per channel in some cases.

Less is more.

In my very limited experience the difference between CD players or DAC's is relatively small on the hi-fi system building scale.

So much so that I'd rather have my choice of speakers with any of the cheapo and oldo CD players that I own than the finest digital source with typical run of the mill modern speakers.

In digital systems, the old source first rule is turned on its' head. Speakers first, then amplification then the digital source.

Different speakers have differences that are fundamental to my enjoyment of the music. Different tonal balances, different levels of clarity and dynamics. Different CD players or DAC's have differences that are the cherry on top of what's either a delicious Black Forest gateau or an only eating this to be polite icing covered fruitcake.

I wouldn't spend a single penny more than £30 on my digital source until I've fully sorted and maxed out my speakers and amplification. I may never get to the stage of maxing those out...

Edited by lindsayt
typo correction

In the context of Lindsayt's post above I think my present amp is maxed out by David Coe and that will stay now.

My speakers are also maxed by Paul Coupe, cabling too by Max T.  I think on the strength of knowledge on here it is time to get the Marantz fettled and serviced.

I think this thread has been useful to me and hopefully others, thanks fella's.

Lindsay I had a look at your wigwam profile and then speakers you have that I had never heard of, not sure which model you have but Bozak speakers look serious

I could be wrong, but it depends on how the signal is converted to analogue. Plus, also, it may boil down to the quality of the rest of the other internals. Some brands are more efficient than others, just like how speakers will differ. On the other hand, others may say it's just a placebo effect, although based on my current experience of a replacement CDP it certainly isn't the latter.

14 hours ago, toms wait said:

In the context of Lindsayt's post above I think my present amp is maxed out by David Coe and that will stay now.

My speakers are also maxed by Paul Coupe, cabling too by Max T.  I think on the strength of knowledge on here it is time to get the Marantz fettled and serviced.

I think this thread has been useful to me and hopefully others, thanks fella's.

Lindsay I had a look at your wigwam profile and then speakers you have that I had never heard of, not sure which model you have but Bozak speakers look serious

Do you think your modded Impulse speakers are as good as you can get when it comes to speakers?

For me they wouldn't be. For you they might be.

By all means try different digital front ends. But also keep an open mind on trying different speakers...

i haven't the free cash or TBH the desire to go chasing around for new speakers or any great investment in new equipment.

What would be as "good as you can get" with room limitations, financial and family constraints it is a fruitless task to me and a selfish one.

It would never end and would never be happy and chasing what clarity/bass/soundstage/studio trickery.

I've got a bit of a fetish for players, ive had loads, old and new 'ish'. Then started a steady gravitation to tda1541, in its various incarnations. Not sure if it's just me, but I find them just easier to listen to. Good with most music. Especially the cd12.Not pronounced in top or bottom like other players ive had and sold because of this.

Have mine open at present and it has 2 x TDA1541 S1 one crown dac.

Trying to fit a redhill regulator but mine had a clock mod done ages ago that takes power off the old regulator and no idea where to take power off the new one.

Contacting redhill to find out.  Dave Speirs did the mod about 20 yrs ago.