notaclue

Is Merkel right to say that "the nation state has no chance if it acts on its own"?

I am wondering if Merkel was right to say (as she did yesterday) that “The EU must act together, the nation state has no chance if it acts on its own." https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-18/merkel-offers-breakthrough-deal-to-shield-eu-from-virus-fallout

If Germany, with its strong economy and sensible leadership, thinks it has no chance alone, what chance does Blighty have?

Can Brexit Britain really make a success by going it alone in the face of the biggest economic shock since the War or even perhaps for hundreds of years? Especially when we have such poor and foolish leadership. We locked down too late, they won't admit they made ANY mistakes and we are lifting the lockdown in a shambolic and slow way with an ever-growing huge bill from the furlough scheme. People are losing confidence. 

I must say that I would much prefer to see Mrs Merkel in Number 10 than Mr Johnson. Perhaps we can swap them? 

3 minutes ago, notaclue said:

I must say that I would much prefer to see Mrs Merkel in Number 10 than Mr Johnson. Perhaps we can swap them? 

Oh yes let's. Just to see how many Brexit supporters literally explode :D.

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Not seen too much were all in this together from the EU . Germany , Fance , Spain and Italy all acted as independant states over this crisis as did Greece. Did not notice Angela Merkel urging others to do what they did then . Now when it comes for the piper to pay the tune it seems Germany wants the rest of the EU to foot the bill alongside them . Good luck with that .

Edited by bencat
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Merkel is panicking because she is watching the EU fall apart day by day .

She is throwing some bribe money ( The EU way ) to persuade them to take more of the foul EU medicine .

That said I would rather have her in number ten than  "Where's  Wally " sorry Boris !

At least Merkel is honest enough to admit she's not perfect in every way and has made some terrible mistakes .

Edited by Electro
Added a bit

16 hours ago, michaelgb said:

I wonder how much picking Charles has done in his lifetime. 

I imagine he picks his nose regularly. :D

18 hours ago, michaelgb said:

I wonder how much picking Charles has done in his lifetime. 

Did you hear the one about how Charles once couldn't find his letter opener...

...Then he realised it was the letter opener's day off.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Electro said:

Merkel is panicking because she is watching the EU fall apart day by day .

Wishful thinking by a brexiteer.

17 minutes ago, Guzziboy said:

Wishful thinking by a brexiteer.

No not at all , just open you eyes and look it's plain for all to see .:)

Merkel‘s view is always that the EU is the only way, nothing to see here.

Posted (edited)

I for one am very glad my country is closely integrated with the EU. I fully agree with Angela on this and admire her (but not romantically :D).

I see huge problems for the UK coming down the road with food and trade.  Who will it trade with ? who will pick its food harvest's ? Certainly not Charles.

Edited by michaelgb

2 hours ago, michaelgb said:

who will pick its food harvest's ?

Nae bother, @Electro and his Cul de sac mates are mobilising the very best of British, asparagus for tea chaps.

12 hours ago, michaelgb said:

I for one am very glad my country is closely integrated with the EU. I fully agree with Angela on this and admire her (but not romantically :D).

I see huge problems for the UK coming down the road with food and trade.  Who will it trade with ? who will pick its food harvest's ? Certainly not Charles.

This is the sort of nonsense that often goes unanswered, 'who will pick its food harvests',  how about the millions of unemployed people for a start?

• Upvote 1