notaclue

Is Merkel right to say that "the nation state has no chance if it acts on its own"?

I think a clear picture is emerging...

Yes, Mrs Merkel is right. Sensible people agree with her.

People who disagree with her are full of bats. 

What will we do if the Government end up doing 'no deal' with the EU and unemployment soars and the food doesn't get harvested and imported food rockets in price? 

I don't like to exaggerate or be overly pessimistic... but...

I think we would probably have some sort of violent revolution. Or civil war. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I'll bet that the UK will break up within the next ten years. Scotland wants to stay in the EU.  England wants rid of Northern Ireland and I would hazard a guess that many in the Republic of Ireland don't really want the north either but it will eventually go to referendum (both north&south). Looking at the demographic trends the north will vote to leave the UK and that will be the end of the UK experiment. In 20 years European tourists will flock to England in search of authentic Indian Curries mostly cooked by Pakistanis.

Edited by michaelgb

They are dreadful, hypocritical, incompetent, batty people. 

A Prime Minister who shook hands with infected patients and ended up in intensive care. A chief adviser who breaks the rules to visit his elderly parents when he's got symptoms. Batty. Does any country come close for having these sort of people at the very top? Even Lukashenko's Belarus looks more sensible! 

I think the UK will not only suffer the highest deaths in Europe, but also suffer by far the biggest economic recession in Europe. 

EYpgzk2WsAUPy-R?format=jpg&name=small

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, michaelgb said:

I'll bet that the UK will break up within the next ten years. Scotland wants to stay in the EU.  England wants rid of Northern Ireland and I would hazard a guess that many in the Republic of Ireland don't really want the north either but it will eventually go to referendum (both north&south). Looking at the demographic trends the north will vote to leave the UK and that will be the end of the UK experiment. In 20 years European tourists will flock to England in search of authentic Indian Curries mostly cooked by Pakistanis.

help us out here, vote to kick Scotland out of the UK..

http://chng.it/BBkynhdXrQ

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, TigerTiger said:

Done.:^

Edited by michaelgb
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, TigerTiger said:

Is there somewhere else I can vote to join Scotland instead?

On the crop-picking front I think it beggars belief that there appears to be a genuine possibility of the government paying millions of people to sit at home doing nothing at the same time as workers can't be found to harvest food. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, MartinC said:

On the crop-picking front I think it beggars belief that there appears to be a genuine possibility of the government paying millions of people to sit at home doing nothing at the same time as workers can't be found to harvest food. 

Something will be done. I'll bet workers will be allowed to fly in will be glad of the work. Next year though might be a different story. 

Maybe some of the Illegal Immigrants or asylum seekers would be delighted to work.

Edited by michaelgb

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TigerTiger said:

The scottish nationalist ruling class have never had it so good - given the hitch up to virtual monopoly by totally inadequate opposition.
The knight on newly shining labour armour must inspire his scottish colleagues to give us some desperately needed respite from the rising tide of
nationalism up here. 
Shines the light on the divided England though  and the disparities across the nation. Maybe next there'll be a petition to get rid of the North East?
or Cornwall? or anywhere else that doesn't smell like you?

Edited by Von Krolock
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MartinC said:

Just move house.

8 hours ago, TigerTiger said:

I have a genuine question regarding this

If there was another referendum and the Scots voted for independence would that be different to England and Wales voting to remove Scotland? 

I suspect the former would be considered national pride and sound economic sense whereas the latter would be considered racist, yet both would be one nation saying they want nothing to do with another. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, michaelgb said:

Something will be done. I'll bet workers will be allowed to fly in will be glad of the work.

That would be still be monumentally stupid though. We have UK 'workers' being paid to do nothing FFS! 

6 hours ago, Von Krolock said:

The scottish nationalist ruling class have never had it so good - given the hitch up to virtual monopoly by totally inadequate opposition.
The knight on newly shining labour armour must inspire his scottish colleagues to give us some desperately needed respite from the rising tide of
nationalism up here. 
Shines the light on the divided England though  and the disparities across the nation. Maybe next there'll be a petition to get rid of the North East?
or Cornwall? or anywhere else that doesn't smell like you?

Never voted SNP in my life, voted stay in the independence referendum. I’m English Born but raised in Scotland, half of my relatives are In London, I’m anything but a Nationalist.

Which is why I feel strongly European, the Leave vote stings, on many levels, it has laid bare the social and political differences between the regions, I’m forced to join the leave campaign, I want to be European I do not want to be part of an inward looking nationalist country.

Living in the past did Scotland no favours and  it’ll do the English none either, the vote has gone the wrong way for me, but I do have another route to my goal, sadly my English pals are stuck with the decision.

7 minutes ago, Gaz38 said:

I have a genuine question regarding this

If there was another referendum and the Scots voted for independence would that be different to England and Wales voting to remove Scotland? 

I suspect the former would be considered national pride and sound economic sense whereas the latter would be considered racist, yet both would be one nation saying they want nothing to do with another. 

Honest answer, for many up here it doesn’t matter, for us the EU vote is the equivalent of the iceberg that the Titanic run into.

We will leave using any means possible, don't care about the mechanism, don’t care if you think we cannot manage economically apart, you are on a glorious ship but it’s on it’s way to the bottom and I’m in the lifeboat watching in horror.

I think I'm correct in saying that the Scottish independence referendum was pre EU referendum, it was only about Scotland leaving the UK and that was apparently fine. So why is England voting to leave the EU insular, racist, xenophobic? 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Gaz38 said:

I think I'm correct in saying that the Scottish independence referendum was pre EU referendum, it was only about Scotland leaving the UK and that was apparently fine. So why is England voting to leave the EU insular, racist, xenophobic? 

How many people voted for Scottish independence because they wanted to reduce immigration from the rest of the UK?