Sign in to follow this  
rissey

Any clever wall mounting ideas/hacks for large bookshelf speakers? (UK)

Posted (edited)

Ive got a pair of Klipsch RP-600M's that i want to temporarily install in a small bedroom, though there is no floor space in there for their floor-stands and it maybe a year till i can set them up properly elswehere in the house. In the meantime i'd like to try and mount them on the bedroom wall to get some use out of them, even if the wall/speaker placement is less than ideal. The only thread ive found referring to doing this is here, though im based in the UK and those mounts aren't easily available here. The only mounts I've found are these , and whilst the width is good (which is the important measurement, because they need to 'grip' the speaker), the depth is a little shy of the speaker's full depth. Has anyone tried wall mounting something similar with these, or indeed any other quite large bookshelves and have any tips? Perhaps a DIY solution would work, though I don't fancy drilling into the Klipsch's..any thoughts anyone?

Edited by rissey

Four eyebolts per speaker.  Screw into the ceiling joists*, run a cord through the front pair, and similar through the rear pair (or both side pairs instead, if you want to angle them down), sit the speaker on them, adjust to length, and you can shuffle the speaker around on them to level it.

I have done this more than once, and you have the added benefit of considerable isolation from the building structure.  You can experiment with different types of cord; I like cotton which doesn't seem to transmit vibration too much.

Basically the flying speakers you see at gigs, but without drilling the speakers.

*Or a square board with the bolts fixed through that, and the board screwed to the ceiling.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You do wonder about shelves in the 50s/60s, when you see some 'bookshelf' speakers from the time. My old Leak Sandwiches must weigh 80lbs!

Nice idea Rich! A bit like how I use nylon window blinds instead of glass screens in Bathroom-wind them UP.

Those Klipsches are reputed to be good. There's a u-tube string on how to improve them -padding, sound deadening etc..

Edited by Hornucopia
  • Like 1

Super Wammer

May not be ideal but should be able to be adjusted to give you good contact and you can then tilt if needed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1home-Clamping-Bookshelf-Speaker-Surround-Black/dp/B079GVRDWF/ref=sr_1_5?crid=5JN38LF16I8B&dchild=1&keywords=wall+mounting+speaker+brackets&qid=1590163670&sprefix=wall+mounting+speaker%2Caps%2C346&sr=8-5

Failing that for probably the best solid bracket for sound quality was the old Target Wall Stand . Not made anymore and more suitable for smaller book shelf speakers . However if you took this picture to any local iron working place i am sure they could easily construct a pair to size that would suit your speakers.

TARGET-.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, awkwardbydesign said:

Four eyebolts per speaker.  Screw into the ceiling joists*, run a cord through the front pair, and similar through the rear pair (or both side pairs instead, if you want to angle them down), sit the speaker on them, adjust to length, and you can shuffle the speaker around on them to level it.

I have done this more than once, and you have the added benefit of considerable isolation from the building structure.  You can experiment with different types of cord; I like cotton which doesn't seem to transmit vibration too much.

Basically the flying speakers you see at gigs, but without drilling the speakers.

*Or a square board with the bolts fixed through that, and the board screwed to the ceiling.

Ahh yeah, ive sene those at gigs, usually have chains instead of chord if i remember correct - but chord is the right choice for the home. :^

Will have to experiment with the chord under the speakers to make sure it's secure, that's the only challenge i reckon.  Thanks for the help

1 hour ago, Hornucopia said:

You do wonder about shelves in the 50s/60s, when you see some 'bookshelf' speakers from the time. My old Leak Sandwiches must weigh 80lbs!

Nice idea Rich! A bit like how I use nylon window blinds instead of glass screens in Bathroom-wind them UP.

Those Klipsches are reputed to be good. There's a u-tube string on how to improve them -padding, sound deadening etc..

The Klipsche's are massive, but sound great imo.

Never knew about the padding thing, ill have to look into it.  Cheers

25 minutes ago, bencat said:

May not be ideal but should be able to be adjusted to give you good contact and you can then tilt if needed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1home-Clamping-Bookshelf-Speaker-Surround-Black/dp/B079GVRDWF/ref=sr_1_5?crid=5JN38LF16I8B&dchild=1&keywords=wall+mounting+speaker+brackets&qid=1590163670&sprefix=wall+mounting+speaker%2Caps%2C346&sr=8-5

Failing that for probably the best solid bracket for sound quality was the old Target Wall Stand . Not made anymore and more suitable for smaller book shelf speakers . However if you took this picture to any local iron working place i am sure they could easily construct a pair to size that would suit your speakers.

TARGET-.jpg

Both good suggestions, i might risk the amazon purchase and if it seems they're not gonna work just return them.  Thanks for chiming in =D

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, awkwardbydesign said:

The problem with wall brackets in my house is that they transmit sound straight into the wall and to other rooms.  My walls are very hard brick with granite chips in them, and carry sound around the house with very little attenuation.  Your house may be different.

A spot of Blu Tak on the stands wil solve that for you mate , thats what you need a spot of Blu Tak :rofl:

Edited by bencat

Do they give any signs of being a bit anemic in bass?