Sign in to follow this  
rabski

AD1865 NOS DAC

I normally keep everything I build, but I really need to make some room here, so a few things will be appearing in the classifieds. Hence, my ‘MkI’ NOS DAC, with apologies for the rubbish phone pics.

This is a DIY build, based on an AD1865 board. Non-oversampling, and with an AK4118 receiver chip, it supports up to 24bit 192K. The power supply is built with a pair of over-spec transformers and separate DC regulator boards for all the digital and analogue sections. The board uses IV conversion and OP42 opamps. There are two BNC coax inputs (I’ll bung in an RCA to BNC adaptor), switchable from the front panel and the front panel LEDs indicate board active and signal lock. The power switch is illuminated. A bit of fairy dust has been sprinkled. The regulator boards and the DAC board power section all have decent-spec capacitors. All power wiring is solid-core copper, digital signal wiring is silver/copper and the (kept as short as possible) analogue wiring is in PTFE-insulated 6N silver. The output uses a pair of Mundorf capacitors and analogue outputs are silver-plated RCA. There is a top to the case, but I removed it for pictures.

Proper attention has been paid to earthing and layout, everything works as it should and I don't cut any corners with component specs or building. The IEC inlet is fused and has an isolation switch. As I hope the pictures show, I have a ‘take no prisoners’ approach to layout and neatness. This was my original ‘test build’, but the cosmetic condition is decent, with just a few odd marks here and there. The sound is lovely, somewhat ‘analogue’ if that means anything, and a perfect illustration of why the AD1865 is still considered one of the best NOS chips ever.

Things like this are obviously difficult to price, but adding up the component costs, I think £240 including properly insured Royal Mail seems fair. A decent way to get yourself some non-oversampling loveliness and see what the fuss is all about.

AD1865-3.jpg

AD1865-4.jpg

AD1865-2.jpg

• Like 2

Sold subject to the usual

Lovely, tidy build, better than some of the mainstream offerings.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, ian917 said:

PM sent

Had a feeling you wouldn't be able to resist this. :P

Edited by Hap Hazzard