firefuocco

Amp hiss when idle? Small Class D/T

Posted (edited)

On my second system I am playing around changing amps from a Amptastic Mini T (Tripath TA2020) to an unknown build with a Texas Instruments TPA3116.

The TPA3116 is probably twice as powerful as the TA2020 and I noticed the change straight off.

Later in the evening when it was all on idle I noticed a hiss from the speakers that I hadn't noticed with the other amp.  Re-checked everything again today and changed the amps into the other system.  The more powerful amp has more hiss whereas the lower power amp is so quiet at idle.  Is this a possible poor design of output stage or a higher gain power issue?

It isn't a big problem except I like to keep all the systems on all the time and there is no auto power off on the amp and the hiss is slightly annoying at night but even more so for my dog who sleeps in the dining room at night.  

Just wondering what its all about?

Here is a tech link from DIY but I need a real world decode.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/315761-amplifier-hiss-input-signal-2.html

Edited by firefuocco
missing info
  • Like 1

Super Dealer

Turn it off when not in use and leave your dog in peace. Warm up time on a T Amp is a few minutes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Juancho said:

Turn it off when not in use and leave your dog in peaceemoji16.png. Warm up time on a T Amp is a few minutes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Yeah I can do that, however the question really is why does one amp produce more hiss than the other?

Super Wammer
8 hours ago, firefuocco said:

Yeah I can do that, however the question really is why does one amp produce more hiss than the other?

When you say one amp is more powerful than the other perhaps it has more gain and hence the hiss being audible? If the amp sounds fine in normal use just turn it off in between. Pull out the plug if it hasn’t got a switch. 

• Upvote 1