As no one seems to have mentioned it ALAC is Apples version of flac. You could use the software to covert to that.

CJ

Hello,

Have you tried any of the FLAC players that are in the App Store for iOS devices? I use the Flac Player+ and it works great playing my lossless flac files, and IIRC it doesn't cost anything to download.

All the best,

Chris.

• Like 1

There are several players, however all of them have to circumvent the Apple Music app and as Apple provides no easy way to load music in flac format to the iPhone/iPad, they also have to find ways to bring the music to the device. Additional useful features are the capability to play music from a NAS when at home.or support of Replay Gain.

So all apps have the same limitations or challenges, if you will. Foobar2000 does that for me, others may prefer more fancy ones. I'm a fan of Foobar since the early windows days :D

Hello,

Apple does provide an extremely simple way of transferring files to the devices with the latest updates to the OS. You can now just open the iOS device in Finder, browse to the app in question, e.g. Flac Player +, and drag and drop the flac files to your hearts content.

Chris.

You think that is simple? :D

I don't use a Mac but assume that process is similar to what you can do with iTunes.  I don't want to transfer individual files to start with. I want to transfer albums, ideally several at the same time. Dragging files to the app in question would give me a list of several thousand individual files in a long unstructured list (at least in iTunes). I don't consider that to be convenient or easy...

Hello,

I don't transfer stuff a track at a time, that would be extremely tedious. Multi-select allows me to select one, some, many, or all, of my albums, tracks etc. and drop them into the finder in one go. I can't imagine anything simpler than that.

Chris.

FREE lossless audio codec. How can this be a problem?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jail4CEOs2 said:

FREE lossless audio codec. How can this be a problem?

The "Free" bit is clearly a problem for Apple. That's a large part of why they're crApple in my book... 

David

Edited by DavidHB

3 hours ago, DavidHB said:

The "Free" bit is clearly a problem for Apple. That's a large part of why they're crApple in my book... 

David

It is odd that iThings don’t natively support FLAC, when they work fine with MP3 files. I guess that may be partly due to how ubiquitous MP3 is, or at least was. Also even though FLAC is free, implementation would have a cost, with no clear benefit to the company.

Mick

29 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

Actually the devices do support FLAC, the problem is that the Music app won't play it  and that iTunes won't copy it (go figure).

Apple simply wants to push their formats >:(

You’re clearly right, otherwise these third party apps wouldn’t be able to play FLAC either. iTunes *will* copy MP3 files though, but that may be a throwback to earlier days of MP3 players.

Once the dam broke open, and Napster and Kazaa had filled hard dives the world over, apple agreed to protect the record companies. They did everything in their power to block the sharing of their 99¢ files, and make it hard to use anything not provided through them. Sure, the apple tax is a thing, but there was no other way to get all the majors on board without a guarantee iTunes wouldn't be just another hole in a very leaky boat. This is also a major reason there is no iOS file browser. Golden handcuffs.

Sent from my iPhone as the rubes will never figure out how to disable this signature.

• Like 1