mtbmarkymark

Next step up from Van Damme Speaker cables

Invest elsewhere, IMO.

1 minute ago, Lurch said:

Having just had a quick look on eBay at what's available as 6m pairs (57 items) you would be hard pressed to beat 4mm or 6mm VD hifi series for performance and vfm. 

I've had the 6mm in my system and it easily outperformed QED XT40, Chord Odessey2, and Atlas Hyper 3.0. It has taken some Audioquest Jade2 and subsequently TQ Black II to knock it off its perch. 

I have fitted VD and forgot about cables now for years. What improvements did you notice with TQ? I liked your system at Kegworth.

Super Wammer

Hi Mark, that background is helpful and interesting.  I know how frustrating these things can be, having tried and failed to get ported Martin Logan speakers working here.  Our SCM40s are firing down the length of a 7m x 3.5m room and there’s no problems with bass extension or definition to my ears.  I’m a firm believer that the natural roll-off from sealed boxes invariably makes for better room integration that the effects of even well designed ports.  I’d expect your B&W to extend further in a given room. 

As for cables, I’d repeat my thoughts above about Kimber ( in various gauges and weaves) which you can buy on extended trial from Russ Andrews, though check first as he doesn’t advertise longer than 4.5 m so you’d need to be clear if custom lengths are covered the same way.  Because you need that length, you’re much less likely to find anything secondhand, unlike say 2 to 3 metres. 

As it happens, I have some old Cable Talk 3 terminated in bananas at 7 metres, from when I stayed in a studio flat, and like you, had the system to one side with the speakers on another wall.  As long as you can use the terminations (not chop off the plugs!) you’d be welcome to borrow them for an experiment for the cost of postage both ways.  They’re not light!  

Otherwise, the VannDamme or a generic multi stranded type wouldn’t be costly and would give 95% plus of the Cardas I’d expect.  

2A19C81B-7BD1-4A86-BCF8-6C530394E304.thumb.jpeg.11a901d5ffbde459a56967302824f12f.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You don't need 6mm cable for six metres, go thinner, save money, buy music 

You don't even need 4mm

Edited by kernow
  • Like 2

Super Dealer
10 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Sell the Cardas cables and use the money to buy the van damme cable plus a miniDSP SHD to sort out your bass issues.

Sorting out the bass will bring a huge improvement.

Keith

Super Wammer
50 minutes ago, oldius said:

I have fitted VD and forgot about cables now for years. What improvements did you notice with TQ? I liked your system at Kegworth.

Hi Geoff. 

At the last Kegworth I was using late 90s, early 00s Audioplan Musicable ICs and the AQ Jade2 SC (again from the late 90s, early 00s) which I found opened things up a bit + bass was a bit more defined Vs the VD 6mm.

When I changed my speakers to the 989s in July whilst the AQ was okay it was a 2:4 cable as the Ushers were 'bi-wireable' and having bananas and spades for the single wire input of the Quads was a pain though not insurmountable. Anyway I picked up the TQ for a very good price used, and they proved to be brilliant, more open and detailed with better bass definition and weight than the AQ. So like you I've now stopped looking at speaker cable, or any cable for that matter. 

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Sell the Cardas cables and use the money to buy the van damme cable plus a miniDSP SHD to sort out your bass issues.

I seem to have been overly definite there! It may have been an involuntary reaction to talk of £4k speaker cables...

Seriously though @mtbmarkymark I do think it would be worth your while seeing if you could get a demo SHD to try out. You've already been started off down the measurement path after all. 

I have 5mtr of 4mm VD from Mark and it’s magic stuff.

Replaced TQ Black and I’m not at all disappointed in it. Will likely sell the TQ on at some time.

2 hours ago, Lurch said:

Hi Geoff. 

At the last Kegworth I was using late 90s, early 00s Audioplan Musicable ICs and the AQ Jade2 SC (again from the late 90s, early 00s) which I found opened things up a bit + bass was a bit more defined Vs the VD 6mm.

When I changed my speakers to the 989s in July whilst the AQ was okay it was a 2:4 cable as the Ushers were 'bi-wireable' and having bananas and spades for the single wire input of the Quads was a pain though not insurmountable. Anyway I picked up the TQ for a very good price used, and they proved to be brilliant, more open and detailed with better bass definition and weight than the AQ. So like you I've now stopped looking at speaker cable, or any cable for that matter. 

Yes, I haven't looked at cable for years. I use VD 4mm (the clear outer sheath and multi strand copper conductors) and I use Klotz MC5000 interconnects and Mogami coax. All studio brands with Neutrik's best connectors (other than my speaker cable banana plugs). I don't have a real interest in changing things but I will have some time on my hands over the summer and time is a dangerous thing!

Super Wammer

Or just get these - 521 strands of OFC cable .. at a cost of not a lot .. giving massive musical enjoyment and a load of dosh to spend on summat else that will make a difference :)  http://www.freesatcable.co.uk/speaker cable/Studio-Grade-Speaker-Cable-521-OFC/20m-of-Studio-Grade-Loudspeaker-Cable-521-Strand-OFC

Of course these are not sold by a hifi brand or in a hifi shop and used by lots of studios where the hype surrounding cables does not seem to be such an issue and so are actually priced accordingly (as my old mum used to say " a fool and his money are soon parted" and my favourite "penny wise and pound foolish" )

Super Wammer

Unless you really love your speakers I would buy speakers that fit your room in the previous speaker's position.  

If you want to change your cable then its not at all certain what the results will be.  I was in a similar situation to you and was advised on here to buy cheap QED 40 rather than my costly Atlas cables but I didn't like the QED and sent it back. Rather than keep buying and sending back and to avoid not spending a large amount of money I rearranged my gear so that I could use my existing cable.

But maybe you will not hear any difference between cables as others report on here and any cheap option will do.

Posted (edited)

Surprising how many people buy premade VD and can't fit their own banana plugs ...

Talk Z plugs with double screws - takes about 15mins tops and saves you the cost of someone else doing it 

Edited by kernow
  • Like 3

Super Wammer
5 hours ago, kernow said:

You don't need 6mm cable for six metres, go thinner, save money, buy music 

You don't even need 4mm

maybe 0.5mm? Is there a limit to thinness?