mtbmarkymark

Next step up from Van Damme Speaker cables

1 hour ago, Adam. said:

I settled on VanDamme 6mm, it's a fine cable. My only gripe is/was how pig ugly it looks in a room, so I split it apart, wrapped it in black cable sheath and made it double helix then added some teak blocks I knocked up. 

Just some food for thought.

Regards,

Adam.

IMG_20200526_211928.jpg

There were actually electrical reasons for the original design that you will have altered by the change you've made there (capacitance and inductance will probably both have increased I think). I doubt you'll notice a difference but I think it's worth pointing out in case others think of copying you. 

The thicker the cable the more electrons that can flow through ..  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

There were actually electrical reasons for the original design that you will have altered by the change you've made there (capacitance and inductance will probably both have increased I think). I doubt you'll notice a difference but I think it's worth pointing out in case others think of copying you. 

Capacitance and inductance are opposite sides of the same coin in a cable. If one increases then the other decreases. In this case, even with the best test equipment, there are so many uncontrolled variables, that measurement differences would be impossible.

6 hours ago, Speedskater said:

Capacitance and inductance are opposite sides of the same coin in a cable. If one increases then the other decreases. In this case, even with the best test equipment, there are so many uncontrolled variables, that measurement differences would be impossible.

My point was that the original design wasn't an aesthetic decision and it's a shame to see this destroyed, which I think it's worth others seeing this thread being aware of.

Super Wammer

As this is a cable thread is this the time to say that the obvious upgrade to Van Damme is Steven Seagal?

• Like 1

No.

• Haha 1

On 24/05/2020 at 22:08, hifinutt said:

Van damme 6 mm is brilliant,  you will have to pay a lot more to better it. !!! Maybe chord epic at 5 times the price but not 5 times the performance  ( I use both)

This is the issue. Invest shedloads of money for little return. Hoping it's a hypothetical question by the OP. 

Super Wammer
16 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

This is the issue. Invest shedloads of money for little return. Hoping it's a hypothetical question by the OP. 

Don’t necessarily agree. I bought (and returned) a cheap QED 40 speaker cable recommended by a few people on here and it sounded horrible so I stayed with my existing cable.

If we are comparing a good sounding cable vs another good sounding cable then you might be right but if it’s a bad sounding cable vs a good then that’s a different story. 

Super Wammer

What the OP has done is make the cable pleasing to him and look the way he wants . What changes may or may not have been made in the measurements are irrelevant as now he likes the look of the cable before he did not . Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and this will make the music flowing through seem that much sweeter even without a blindfold.

• Like 1