3 hours ago, ChemMan said:

Nope, just different.  IMO the Brits make loudspeakers well, very well.  Go into any hifi store in Belgium and there are amps from all over the world.  Speakers are minimum 50% from the UK.   

I'm on my third pair of UK made speakers.   I'm on my second amp from the USA. 

As generalizations go, the UK is hifi heaven in my book because you have excellent kit in every area and lots of it, but mainly in speakers and your second hand market seems "second" to none.  I can't say the same for the Americans.  Many, many great amps , a good selection of  digital products, but just a few brands of nice speakers,   TTs?  I don't own LPs anymore, but it seems like everyone has a Linn, Rega or CZ made/Austrian owned Project.

The Yanks seems to have a comparable percentage of brilliant amps to the great speakers of the UK.

I gave up on Brit speakers 10 year ago.

Couldn't find any that I'd want to keep and listen to in my home, at a price I'd be happy to pay.

One man's meat :notworthy: is another man's poison :td:.

One thing about American speakers, is that they don't make them like they used to. Or if they do - eg Great Plains Audio - they don't make them at a price that's competitive with used off ebay.

Posted (edited)

MOSCODE 402au - hybrid power amp

Listening to Paul McGowan extolling the virtues of high voltage gain devices (mosfets and valves) in the early stages of systems and in his new BHK amp, reminded me of another america 'hybrid' that I  read about in HFW (June 2020), penned by Noel Keywood.

The Moscode uses mosfets as power devices and there are a pair of valves handling the signals (6H30Pi) and 2 valves used as drivers for the output mosfets (6GU7). (Or 6922s can be used instead for higher gain.) Output is 210 watts into 8 ohms.

Unusually and interestingly its a low feedback single-ended design. This makes it free of the crossover distortion inherent in pushpull types and it 'measures well' with distortion under 1% under all conditions.

He goes on: (the amp)..had a sharp sense of timing....coupled with strong bass..gave the Moscode both pace and punch..with a more sharply defined though edgy sound..compared with our more liquid sounding Icon Audio MB845s.' He sums it up as a lively, vivacious and  enjoyable listen.

There was a UK importer, whom I rang back then, so there should be some in the country. Unfortunately they were £6K and the brand virtually unknown so I dare say sales went huge.

I read somewhere that the design owes quite a bit to a U.S. designer named Futterman. A colourful character by all accounts and noted for class A solid state designs. If anyone has more on this amp and its design features I think that would be of interest.

Jack NSM

Edited by Non-Smoking Man

Posted (edited)

I heard a "Futterman" driving Quad 57's a few years ago the combo sounded very good. It became de rigueur  to claim any thing over 25w would blow Quad 57's up, in fact they take 22v rms not 22w as often claimed  I use a100 w amp with my  Quad 57's.

Edited by John (big)
accuracy

On 26/05/2020 at 10:49, Bodgit said:

I'm getting my MUSE amps serviced right now through jsaudiorepairs, John knows his stuff.

I own a pair of Muse 300 Series 11. They have a domestic/pro audio heritage.

Jack

Posted (edited)

Someone was debating the state of play re American Speakers.

Klipsch have to be in the conversation. I have heard the famous Cornerhorn driven by a perfect match in a tiny Decware. This is a classic combination.

The criticism used to be that they didnt use great mid/bass drivers; also the cornerhorn as opposed to the belles needs to be flush with the walls. If you have skirting boards they have to go (the skirting boards, I mean)! I heard another pair of Klipsch driven by a nice little pp EL34 amp (Melody?). They were neither the Belles nor the 'Corners'. (I remember now - La Scalas.)  There's a big following for the Marque in the States and a thriving mods aftermarket industry.

Jack NSM

5 minutes ago, Non-Smoking Man said:

I own a pair of Muse 300 Series 11. They have a domestic/pro audio heritage.

Jack

Do you have a photo? I saw some MUSE 300 amps similar to mine but I think were "signature" series or something, looked very similar. I was aware of the domestic/pro heritage, also there was a sister company that MUSE used to obtain the casings which helped with costs.

Posted (edited)

The Muses put in an appearance at Joolz's bake off. They might have attracted a picture...

They are boxed and Im not a great snapper. What I will say is that they are a nondescript large black cube.

Just seen your link. Yes, but mine have black faceplates. The cooling fins look same. Them's the ones.

12 minutes ago, Non-Smoking Man said:

What I will say is that they are a nondiscript large and heavy black cube.

FTFY.

These are on Ebay ;-) 

s-l1600.jpg

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

I had a very Anglo-American system for a while.

TT - Orbe/SME V/ClearAudio Accurate - UK/Germany

Logitech Transporter - US (because they took over the US Slimtech firm)

Phone and Pre - Tom Evans - UK

Power - Boulder 1060 - US

Speakers - Revel Salon mk1 - US

Cables - Shunyata/Nordost - US

What I will say about that system was the sound was very sophisticated, lots of layering and detail BUT it didn't want to rock'n'roll. I suspect the Boulder was the main issue there.

The only US gear I have now is cabling, the remaining Shunyata items, Audioquest, and Pangea. Everything else had to be sold in the recession :( 

Edited by bigfool1956

On 26/05/2020 at 10:09, awkwardbydesign said:

On a pedantic note, I think the Stereophile editor is John, not Ian.

And at the moment, after selling my Parasound A21 the only US components I have are old valves.  But my TT is Canadian.

John abdicated, Sphile's Editor is now Jim:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/stereophile-next-generation

1 hour ago, bigfool1956 said:

I had a very Anglo-American system for a while.

TT - Orbe/SME V/ClearAudio Accurate - UK/Germany

Logitech Transporter - US (because they took over the US Slimtech firm)

Phone and Pre - Tom Evans - UK

Power - Boulder 1060 - US

Speakers - Revel Salon mk1 - US

Cables - Shunyata/Nordost - US

What I will say about that system was the sound was very sophisticated, lots of layering and detail BUT it didn't want to rock'n'roll. I suspect the Boulder was the main issue there.

The only US gear I have now is cabling, the remaining Shunyata items, Audioquest, and Pangea. Everything else had to be sold in the recession :( 

Revel is a name that might crop up again on this thread. (But I shall not steal Batteredhaggis's thunder..)

Jack NSM

I think that if I had to choose a single nationality for my hifi system it would be American. Loudspeaker choice might cause a bit of emotional turmoil, but the electronics for sure. 

My current main system is US electronics (preamp/DAC, power amp) into German speakers. 

I've had so much great American gear over the years. :)

Conrad Johnson is another company I've always admired - just spotted the ACT2 preamp @daveyu has listed in the classifieds - definitely on my wish list should my ship ever come in...

Posted (edited)

I have some lovely speakers made in Minnesota. Very happy with them.

Jerry will say these speakers sound horrible, and would counter by saying they sing!

When I eventually decide to upgrade from my Plinius I'll probably try a big Krell. That is one of the few items that I still lust over.

I also used to have a Bel canto dac which was ok, and a ps audio amp that was stunning.

I've also owned Anthony Gallo speakers back in the day. Now they were stunning.

Edited by Psilonaught